Attributes

2 minutes ago, Calkids said:

Is there a attribute for challenge caches?  I travel & would like to bring up challenge caches in cities/counties. 

No, but most challenges, and all since a certain date,  have the word Challenge in the title. There are a lot of bookmark challenge cache lists, which shouldn't be hard to find. For example, if I was going to Phoenix I'd find a challenge cache there then check that page for bookmark lists.

• Upvote 2
30 minutes ago, Isonzo Karst said:

I just used the Project Gc challenge cache map, and I am not a member. Non members are limited on using checkers, some number per day,   but can see that map.

Strange, this is what I see when I go to the Tools menu, the "Map of challenge caches" is greyed out, and hovering over it shows a popup saying "Membership Required"

image.thumb.png.271e975e47dc6c76de4a45b518e881a5.png

23 hours ago, Keystone said:

You can study a map of all challenge caches at this Project-GC page - just fill in the region where you'll be visiting.  The map will show you whether or not you're already qualified for the challenge cache (assuming it has a challenge checker).

I was excited to see this function in Project-GC - but I am having the same results as MartyBelfast and NanCycle.  I did pay for GSAK several months ago, as I could see value in it, and was reeeeealllly getting annoyed at the nag screen!!  Now it's free.  And up to this feature, Project GC without the membership worked well for me.  The fact that GSAK was a one off fee, and Project GC is yearly is one reason why I chose to pay for GSAK.  And Project GC still is a nice stat generator, and challenge checker, and fun to play around with stats tool even without the membership.  But I digress...

Back to the topic at hand - having the word "challenge" in the cache title does make a search easier.  An attribute would be nice, but since it's required to be in the title, wouldn't that be redundant?  You would still have to search by title name or attribute?  I've read a lot of the previous posts about having a separate cache type for challenges - I think at this point it would be hard to change existing challenges to the new cache type, and mess up some challenge qualifications in the process.  

With the "reintroduction" of challenges (before my time and I may have my facts wrong, correct me if necessary!!) it seemed an ideal time to introduce the cache type of Challenge if GS was to do so.  They didn't.  They just made a requirement for the word "challenge" to be in the title.  That tells me a new cache type is NOT going to be created.  Just my 2¢.

Edited by CAVinoGal
26 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Back to the topic at hand - having the word "challenge" in the cache title does make a search easier.  An attribute would be nice, but since it's required to be in the title, wouldn't that be redundant?  You would still have to search by title name or attribute?

Not quite, as there are some mystery caches with the word "challenge" in the title that aren't challenge caches, like GC3QR8F.

• Helpful 1
7 minutes ago, barefootjeff said:
46 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

Back to the topic at hand - having the word "challenge" in the cache title does make a search easier.  An attribute would be nice, but since it's required to be in the title, wouldn't that be redundant?  You would still have to search by title name or attribute?

Not quite, as there are some mystery caches with the word "challenge" in the title that aren't challenge caches, like GC3QR8F.

That cache sounds pretty "challenging" to me!!  I've done a little research - and that appears to be prior to the "grandfathering" (published in 2012).

Challenge caches (no icon)

Challenge caches published prior to April 2015 are grandfathered and may have Additional logging requirements that require further documentation.

Rules now for "Challenges" are at https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206

Even with all this additional info, I still hold that GS is not going to create a separate "challenge" icon and cache type.  I'm still enjoying them, and claiming them as I meet the requirements!

1 hour ago, CAVinoGal said:

That cache sounds pretty "challenging" to me!!  I've done a little research - and that appears to be prior to the "grandfathering" (published in 2012).

As it's a puzzle cache rather than a challenge, I don't think it makes any difference whether it was published prior to or after the moratorium on challenge caches (or even during it!) since the challenge cache guidelines only apply to challenge caches. As far as I know, there's nothing to stop me now creating a puzzle cache with the word "challenge" in the title but that by itself doesn't make it a challenge cache.

If a challenge cache type could be created that was a subtype of mystery caches that might work, as they'd still be classed as mysteries in any statistics. But as you say, it would've been best to do that at the time challenge caches were reintroduced, as now the horse has mostly bolted. Any automated method to retrospectively apply the subtype (or a challenge attribute) would likely catch a fair few challenging puzzle caches in its net.

Edited by barefootjeff
Spelling
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Apologies, I think the Challenges map is a paid member option. I was logged into Geocaching.com and these forum as Isonzo Karst, but must have been logged into Project GC under my admin account.  Isonzo Karst is NOT a paid project gc member, and logged in there as that user, no map.

• Helpful 3
On 7/5/2019 at 9:08 PM, Calkids said:

Is there a attribute for challenge caches?  I travel & would like to bring up challenge caches in cities/counties. 

12 hours ago, CAVinoGal said:

I've read a lot of the previous posts about having a separate cache type for challenges - I think at this point it would be hard to change existing challenges to the new cache type, and mess up some challenge qualifications in the process. 

10 hours ago, barefootjeff said:

If a challenge cache type could be created that was a subtype of mystery caches that might work, as they'd still be classed as mysteries in any statistics.

Clearly the single best solution for these, and many other issues with Challenge caches, is implementation of the Challenge Stars feature.

No changing cache type -- you are just layering on a new rating (whose framework already exists as D and T, so no additional programming required for that).

That rating would be searchable, so not only would you be able to see a map of only Challenges, you would also have the option of filtering out based on degree of difficulty.

As I have mentioned before, if you are going to say nay to this, please include a cogent and addressable objection.

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 2
  • Helpful 1
7 hours ago, frinklabs said:

Clearly the single best solution for these, and many other issues with Challenge caches, is implementation of the Challenge Stars feature.

No changing cache type -- you are just layering on a new rating (whose framework already exists as D and T, so no additional programming required for that).

That rating would be searchable, so not only would you be able to see a map of only Challenges, you would also have the option of filtering out based on degree of difficulty.

As I have mentioned before, if you are going to say nay to this, please include a cogent and addressable objection.

Not so clear from where I sit, but you won't allow any comments without listing all the objections previously shared.  There are opposing viewpoints but this isn't the time to rehash all of them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1