[BUG?]: Disable caches not visible on Map

Caches that are disabled and greyed out on the website map are not visible on the app's map view.  In the app image below, there is a disabled Trad just east of the EC.

Screenshot_20180619-132947.thumb.jpg.103601d16327c24e991f01b2d3e193cf.jpg

I can search for the cache by GC number to bring up the cache details screen in the app, and it will give me the "Start" option to show my position relative to the cache.

Screenshot_20180619-132739.thumb.jpg.336b1fd3dc7e9662bc686eaf189d3d1d.jpg

If I select "Start" and get the orange line between myself and the cache, the cache icon is green. It appears as the green icon on Android, as any enabled Trad cache would appear. No indication that I'm navigating myself to a disabled cache.

If I go to the cache details screen and click on the horizontal map section, or if I select "Start" to navigate and then click "Stop", then the icon will remain in the map view and appear as an enabled cache.

Screenshot_20180619-132820.thumb.jpg.a764184abe02d666ddbe48a71fc3af37.jpg

If I click on that green Trad icon, then it shows as greyed out.

Screenshot_20180619-132844.thumb.jpg.cf50152716ae5f14f897e9a50e0b7494.jpg

If I pan the map or zoom enough that the "loading geocaches" process is activated, then the cache icon disappears again.

App version 6.4.0 / Android version 7.0

1 minute ago, 31BMSG said:

I've been looking for a certain disabled cache and can't even get the website map to show it. 

Are you sure it's not already Archived?

Does it show up on the app's map?  The main purpose of this thread is that the app doesn't show Disabled caches correctly, even though those Disabled caches are visible on the website map.

11 hours ago, rocketgarden said:

Disabled and archived caches are deliberately excluded from normal searches in the app. If you search for them by GC code or have them in a list then they can show up there.

Is the exclusion of Disabled caches a new thing, for the app?  If our owned cache is Disabled, then will the star icon also not be visible?

I know Archived have always been excluded.

8 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Is the exclusion of Disabled caches a new thing, for the app?  If our owned cache is Disabled, then will the star icon also not be visible?

I know Archived have always been excluded.

It isn't a new thing that the disabled cache are excluded from the app but I would like to have them visible because a portion of them are still findable in the field.

3 minutes ago, Lynx Humble said:

It isn't a new thing that the disabled cache are excluded from the app but I would like to have them visible because a portion of them are still findable in the field.

Not sure why it seemed like a new issue to me.  Guess I just never noticed before.

I would also prefer a filter option "Show Disabled Caches", similar to how users can select to show/hide Finds and Owned.

12 hours ago, rocketgarden said:

Disabled and archived caches are deliberately excluded from normal searches in the app. If you search for them by GC code or have them in a list then they can show up there.

Since we can search for Disabled and navigate to them, then I'd expect that the icon would always appear grey - instead of appearing as Green/Blue/Orange after "Start" is selected (see the 3rd image in my OP).

Being a premium member I find it hard to understand why somebody thinks it is a good idea to exclude disabled caches. I wish to see all possible caches not just the highlights. Disabled does not mean not there we can make our own judgement.  Not really surprising other apps find favour is it.  The app should be consistent with the web site so please make it so.

I too find it frustrating..trying to put out new caches in wide open spaces only to find out there is an invisible cache somewhere that doesn't show...Ie the disabled one. I want to respect the cache, but since app doesn't show it. I can't determine the distance from it to my new placement. Can't this be fixed. After being disabled for over a year and a half and having been removed..sure would like to put some new caches in the area.

One of the features I appreciate about an API partner app is that I can configure whether disabled caches, found caches, owned caches, etc. are shown.

It's great for the default to be not to show disabled caches (for the sake of newbies), but it should be possible to see them when desired.

The Groundspeak app is free.  It serves the people who paid for it, which is Groundspeak. Clearly the purpose of this app is to onboard newcomers and (cough!) sell memberships.

Not showing disabled caches was a design decision, as admitted above. That works well for newbies looking for their first few hides, less well for people doing "advanced" stuff like hiding and trying to avoid proximity issues.  (Quadrisyllabic!)

What's the phrase for that? It's been...

• Upvote 3
On 8/1/2018 at 8:52 PM, Viajero Perdido said:

The Groundspeak app is free.  It serves the people who paid for it, which is Groundspeak. Clearly the purpose of this app is to onboard newcomers and (cough!) sell memberships.

But part of the draw to memberships is more functionality in the app, so showing Disabled caches (on/off toggle) should at least be a Premium feature.

• Upvote 1