Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Snowdog

Calendar is just hopeless...

18 posts in this topic

We all know that the "visit" calendar in your profile actually uses the date you submit a waymark visit, not the date of the visit itself. Well now it seems to be off in its own time zone. I submitted four visits on the 19th, for the 19th - they don't show up on the 19th. And I just now submitted one - local time 10:30 PM, Central Standard Time - and it shows up on TOMORROW'S calendar date. Geez. Is the server set to Atlantic time or something?

 

Edited by The Snowdog
0

Share this post


Link to post

Groundspeak is in Pacific Standard Time, and the Waymarking and Geocaching (etc.) databases use Pacific Time.

Edit: Why does the day matter?  A good waymark is a good waymark.

Edited by MountainWoods
0

Share this post


Link to post

Trying to fill my calendar, just because. 10:30 PM CST is 8:30 PM Pacific time. Should have posted on the day I logged it, not the next day.

0

Share this post


Link to post

I am sure the calendar for posting is set to Pacific Time. I am currently not much into visiting, because I have visited all in a reasonable distance long ago, but this looks like the visit calendar has a different time zone. Don't ask for a reason, you will not get an answer. My guess is UTC, anything else would be even more weird (but not impossible).

0

Share this post


Link to post

Posted another one this evening, 1/23/18 @ 10:00 PM CST. The profile / statistics calendar shows it as posting tomorrow, on the 24th.

0

Share this post


Link to post

Are you sure you aren't warping back and forth through time or something?
Perhaps we can start a new category: Space Or Time Warp Locations

0

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, MountainWoods said:

Are you sure you aren't warping back and forth through time or something?
Perhaps we can start a new category: Space Or Time Warp Locations

 

How to do the Time Warp

0

Share this post


Link to post

Oh, brother. Just posted a waymark, at 6:00 PM CDT. Feb 1 on my calendar is still zero, but I got one for tomorrow.

0

Share this post


Link to post

When I came down to my final empty spots on the calendar, I was posting (or visiting) a waymark every hour. 

0

Share this post


Link to post

Sorry, but I don't quite understand the problem. I once created a waymark at 11am local time. Looking at the waymark (before submitting it) it said that it was created at 2am. Depending on daylight saving time or not it might also be 1am. Since then I know that whenever I create a waymark after 10am, it will always have the same date as we have here. If I create it between 12pm and 9am, it will have the date of yesterday. As far as I understand it, it doesn't matter, when the waymark is accepted by the officers or published by me. It's always the date of creation (which is the first time that I save a waymark). If that is not correct, please let me know. With that in mind I was able to have "252 consecutive days with posts from 5/25/2017 to 1/31/2018" and "44 consecutive days with visits from 12/20/2017 to 2/1/2018" and my calendars are filling up continously.

Only Feb, 29th will take some time to fill. :-)

1

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, PISA-caching said:

Sorry, but I don't quite understand the problem. I once created a waymark at 11am local time. Looking at the waymark (before submitting it) it said that it was created at 2am. Depending on daylight saving time or not it might also be 1am. Since then I know that whenever I create a waymark after 10am, it will always have the same date as we have here. If I create it between 12pm and 9am, it will have the date of yesterday. As far as I understand it, it doesn't matter, when the waymark is accepted by the officers or published by me. It's always the date of creation (which is the first time that I save a waymark). If that is not correct, please let me know. With that in mind I was able to have "252 consecutive days with posts from 5/25/2017 to 1/31/2018" and "44 consecutive days with visits from 12/20/2017 to 2/1/2018" and my calendars are filling up continously.

Only Feb, 29th will take some time to fill. :-)

Yes, that's the way we play it. I don't have a problem with it and neither have a lot of other players.

BUT I can imagine that this behavior can be confusing and look like a bug when you are a new member and and expect something totally different.

There is a minor problem, though. It looks like the visit calendar has a different time zone than the posting calendar. This is indeed somewhat weird, and we have not yet clearly identified said time zone. I guess it's UTC (posting is PST).

0

Share this post


Link to post

"BUT I can imagine that this behavior can be confusing and look like a bug when you are a new member and and expect something totally different..."

Oh, I assure you that it is indeed a bug. When I started posting waymarks I went through some recent vacation photos and posted a few waymarks photographed during that time, dating my visits correctly (a month or so in the past) - and the calendar always puts them on the date the waymark was posted. It appears that the "visits for each day of the year" calendar doesn't look at the visit date at all.

Edited by The Snowdog
0

Share this post


Link to post
58 minutes ago, The Snowdog said:

 

Oh, I assure you that it is indeed a bug. [...] It appears that the "visits for each day of the year" calendar doesn't look at the visit date at all.

Yes, that is correct. The visit calendar looks at the keyboard date. And maybe this was a bug in the beginning.

But meanwhile so many players have arranged with that and play their game based on it e.g. filling the calendar by logging a visit each day.

Thus, I can also assure you that you would make more people angry than happy by "correcting" it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, fi67 said:

There is a minor problem, though. It looks like the visit calendar has a different time zone than the posting calendar. This is indeed somewhat weird, and we have not yet clearly identified said time zone. I guess it's UTC (posting is PST).

So far I haven't had a problem with it, but most of the time I post new waymarks and visits in the afternoon and that seems to be the best time to do it, because it is far from midnight in whatever time zone counts for the visits calendar. Anyway, wherever you live, you have to find out at what hour of YOUR time the Groundspeak clock shows midnight and plan your postings accordingly.

0

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, fi67 said:

Thus, I can also assure you that you would make more people angry than happy by "correcting" it.

Well, some of the older waymarkers who have filled their calendar years ago might be happy to have a new task then. :-)

1

Share this post


Link to post

They could always add a second calendar that correctly notes the visit date, and leave the old one up just as it is. Then we would have two calendars to fuss about. But I doubt that would happen. As it is I maintain my own, correct, waymarks visited calendar.

Edited by The Snowdog
0

Share this post


Link to post

Oh brother. Posted a visit at 6:00 PM CTD and it shows up on the stats calendar - tomorrow. Just what time zone are they in, anyway?

0

Share this post


Link to post

In that particular case, your waymark visit log entry at 18h00 or 18h01 Central must have actually been recorded in GMT.

Edited by elyob
0

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0