GPS Tracking App?

Since I tend to cache alone, hubby and I thought it might be wise to each have a GPS tracking app in case something ( i.e twisted ankle) were to happen when I'm out in the field.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a good app for Android users?  We tried Life360 but hubby's Galaxy S7. stopped charging, Verizon tech said it was that app causing the problem.  App deleted and phone went right back to charging correctly.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

If you're talking about an app that allows others to know where you are (if you twisted an ankle in the field...), a relative uses One Touch Location ("pro" - just asked)) with their other half for something similar.   That has produced some discussion in the family, why I remembered...

I leave a note clues  roughly where I'll be and how long.  I figure if I don't come back when guesstimated, or by the next day, someone will start pinging my phone.  :)

Glympse.  We used it when my son was driving cross country.  It lets you set up to two hours at a time, so you would need to refresh it periodically.  And I'm not sure how accurate the GPS coords would be.  It did show his driving (and walking, when they stopped for breaks) speeds and location seemed pretty precise.   https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glympse.android.glympse&hl=en

Any app (including GC.com) that continuouisly tracks your GPS position and shares it with another, is going to drain your battery; an exteranl charger or power pack is a good idea to have in your geo-kit!

Edited by CAVinoGal
30 minutes ago, CAVinoGal said:

And I'm not sure how accurate the GPS coords would be.

The GPS accuracy is going to be the same no matter what app you use.  Any app is just using the location services in your phone which get location data using the internal GPS chip.  Another option would be to use Spot.  It's a separate device with it's own GPS though.  A few years ago when a couple of geocachers went to look for the 4lb Walleye cache, which at the time was the oldest unfound cache in the world, and lots of people followed their progress via the Spot web site. 

SPOT works everywhere (except in caves or underwater) but requires a subscription and special hardware.  Other apps require cell connectivity, so won't work if you are in the middle of nowhere.

The Delorme PN-60 has a version with SPOT connectivity built in.  Maybe Garmin will add it to other models in the future.  You can buy a dedicated SPOT tracker but that would be independent of your GPS.