Most of my Geocaches are "greyed" out

Debbpic

Can anyone explain to me why? I am new to this and have got DNF's near where I work I have visited them for two days but yesterday when I opened the app they had changed from green to grey. This was the case for the majority of them around here. I got a message that said that the geocache I wanted was of a difficulty of 1.5 or above and I had to upgrade to premium to find out more.

Is this a bug? I have uninstalled it and reinstalled but to no effect. I see that on the website they are all still green....

You discovered geocaching during a week when there was a special promotion, "The Treasure of Mary Hyde."  Last week, geocaches of all difficulty and terrain levels were "unlocked" for viewing in the official Geocaching apps.  Now, the promotion is finished and things are back to the usual:  only caches with difficulty and terrain of 1.5 stars or less ("beginner caches") are accessible in the official apps.  The caches you see greyed out are called "advanced" caches, and can only be viewed by premium members.

You can still see caches of all difficulties and terrain levels on the website.  This allows basic members to enjoy geocaching by accessing cache coordinates for downloading to a handheld GPS, or for manual entry into a smartphone navigation app.

Here is a comparison chart in the Help Center, illustrating the differences between the official app experience for basic vs. premium members.

Edited by Keystone
3 hours ago, Debbpic said:

Thank you - as I expected, another rip off. I will not be using your app again. I think this is disgusting

That's odd, basic members I know were very happy that they were able to get "almost" full premium-member function (just no pmo caches)  while this mary hyde promotion was taking place.  They not only didn't even have to participate in the promotion, some weren't even using the "official" app, yet still able to get the full function.  :)

- And without paying a penny. 

How's that a rip off again?

Edited by cerberus1
  • Upvote 2
5 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

That's odd, basic members I know were very happy that they were able to get "almost" full premium-member function (just no pmo caches)  while this mary hyde promotion was taking place.  They not only didn't even have to participate in the promotion, some weren't even using the "official" app, yet still able to get the full function.  :)

- And without paying a penny. 

How's that a rip off again?

Comparing existing users with new users is an apples and oranges thing. While the promotional lift of restriction was a bonus for an existing user, signing up when all D/T are available and then being told a few days later that you now need to pay for that same level of access can feel like a bait-and-switch for a new user, as evidenced by the OP. It seems like many parts of this promotion were ill-conceived or not well implemented, so I'm not surprised that this unintended consequence would result.

• Upvote 1
9 hours ago, Debbpic said:

Thank you - as I expected, another rip off. I will not be using your app again. I think this is disgusting

Then don't use the official app. You can still view all non-PMO caches, no matter what the D/T ratings are, via the website for free.  How exactly is this a rip-off?  The company that runs the website and builds the app is not a non-profit.  There are employees that need to be paid and expenses that have to be paid for. Premium Members that pay $30 USD per year are funding the hobby on this site.

Edited by noncentric
17 minutes ago, Keystone said:
20 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I'd add, "via the app" to the end of that sentence. Basic members can still see "advanced" caches on the website.  ;)

Well, yeah, if you choose to only quote one sentence.

Sorry, below is your full post, and I'd still think that it's confusing for a new user when "via the app" is not added to the sentence I noted above. The app tells them that they have to be premium to see those caches, and your first paragraph essentially mirrors that sentiment.  I mentioned long ago, in another topic, that it would be nice for the app to mention that "advanced" caches can be viewed on the website - because most new cachers that start with the official app will not even realize that they can view the caches on a website.

You mention the lifted restriction in the next paragraph, but I still think it's not entirely clear that 'caches of all difficulties and terrain levels' is the same as the "advanced" caches that you said only premium members could see.  Anyway, it's not a big deal.  I just thought it would be clearer to clarify the app thing. No offense.

9 hours ago, Keystone said:

You discovered geocaching during a week when there was a special promotion, "The Treasure of Mary Hyde."  Last week, geocaches of all difficulty and terrain levels were "unlocked" for viewing in the official Geocaching apps.  Now, the promotion is finished and things are back to the usual:  only caches with difficulty and terrain of 1.5 stars or less ("beginner caches") are accessible in the official apps.  The caches you see greyed out are called "advanced" caches, and can only be viewed by premium members.

You can still see caches of all difficulties and terrain levels on the website.  This allows basic members to enjoy geocaching by accessing cache coordinates for downloading to a handheld GPS, or for manual entry into a smartphone navigation app.

Here is a comparison chart in the Help Center, illustrating the differences between the official app experience for basic vs. premium members.

• Upvote 1
53 minutes ago, noncentric said:

I mentioned long ago, in another topic, that it would be nice for the app to mention that "advanced" caches can be viewed on the website - because most new cachers that start with the official app will not even realize that they can view the caches on a website.

Yes, there seems to be a disconnect, where people have a misconception of the game, the site, and the App, evidently caused by the way the App presents the game. In the OP's spontaneous Geocide a few posts back, the OP seems to believe the whole “Geocaching” thing is an App. Somehow the App should bring people up to speed on the basic points. Maybe something like this:

'Welcome to Geocaching, where you discover cool places, and find fun containers in the real world, called “Geocaches”, placed and maintained by people just like you. Try out our free App to test that it works to your satisfaction with your phone, then pay to open all the features. Or visit our website and continue as a “basic member” where you can find the caches that are “greyed out” in the App, and even place your own Geocaches! Try the other Apps [listed], or use a GPS receiver without needing a data subscription, and see what works best for you.'

But I've suggested several times, that various wording should be adjusted or added to the App, and that never happens.  It's as if the informational text is impossible to change.  Which is weird.  If I wrote an App, the program might be tough to change, but I'd make it so the text was modifiable without expert programming needed.

Edited by kunarion
4 hours ago, kunarion said:

'Welcome to Geocaching, where you discover cool places, and find fun containers in the real world, called “Geocaches”, placed and maintained by people just like you. Try out our free App to test that it works to your satisfaction with your phone, then pay to open all the features. Or visit our website and continue as a “basic member” where you can find the caches that are “greyed out” in the App, and even place your own Geocaches! Try the other Apps [listed], or use a GPS receiver without needing a data subscription, and see what works best for you.'

If they can make a message pop up every time I open the old app then they can make a message like this pop up everytime a basic member opens the new app. It would save an awful lot of confusion.

• Upvote 2
On 8/17/2017 at 7:04 AM, Keystone said:

I've been working with a few cachers lately to teach them the game, and each has downloaded the free geocaching app onto their phones.  As a premium member, I can see every cache using this app, but as basic members, they cannot see premium caches (as expected) nor can they see > 1.5 star D/T caches.

It seems that there should be a way for basic members using the Groundspeak app to unlock the same cache access as they can get on the computer.  Perhaps TPTB can add an in-app purchase to unlock the full capability of a basic member, but it seems unfair that all non-premium caches are not accessible.  As these cachers are gaining experience, they are not able to expand their potential finds.

Hand-held GPS receivers are expensive, but it seems their only inexpensive recourse is to use another app.

48 minutes ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

it seems their only inexpensive recourse is to use another app.

That's an option.  "Another App" being the web browser on their phone which they already have.  B)

Or they can request a free month trial of PM.

The Official Geocaching App is currently more like an ad for a paid membership, plus a way to test whether it works in one's phone at all, or a way that someone signing up today can find a cache or two, as a test, without having to pay. This is appropriate for the company's App.

I don't mind if the people who will use "the App" must pay for additional features, rather than the current subscribers who may not use any "App" having to pay.  And I'm impressed that TPTB also decided this (for now).

Edited by kunarion
1 hour ago, kunarion said:

That's an option.  "Another App" being the web browser on their phone which they already have.  B)

You can't find caches using the web browser on your phone.  You can get information about the cache and plug it in to a map app, but that's impractical, though I guess it's an option.

I had the original geocaching app, for which I spent $10 and had everything unlocked.  Before I became a premium member, I could access all non-premium caches, and after I purchased premium membership, I could find all caches (or at least try ;)).  It seems odd that basic members are limited to "beginner caches" with the newer Groundspeak app with no recourse other than paying the premium membership.

What do you suggest for basic members who do not have a dedicated GPS receiver?

2 hours ago, GeoElmo6000 said:

Use a caching app other than the upsell-focused one provided by Groundspeak.

There's a good ecosystem of quality caching apps out there, most on the "approved" list and fully blessed by Groundspeak.  Which ones to recommend?  Depends on Android vs iPhone, and the topic is well covered in other threads.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

Let them take turns using your phone.

They can make a kind of handheld offline GPSr with an app like "GDAK" and choice maps.  I don't know for sure which apps are completely "free".  They are all paid in some way or they go away.  Even the paid apps go away, since the new business model for "apps" is pay as you go.  And they have limitations for free members, and even when using a dedicated GPS receiver.  The original business plan was "you save up $10, and you can then subscribe for 3 months with all benefits".  I think that's still the basic idea.  You may not get everything you require, paid by others. :ph34r:

For iPhone, I can send a cache from Safari to "Commander Compass" (also to "Spyglass" and others) for bearing and direction.  For Android, I can send to GPS Status and others.

I don't have a phone data subscription.  If I did, that could kill my budget for Geocaching and other hobby subscriptions.  Everyone, decide what the priority is and budget for it, so you can afford what you want to play.

Edited by kunarion

You can't find caches using the web browser on your phone.  You can get information about the cache and plug it in to a map app, but that's impractical, though I guess it's an option.

I haven't loaded an app (still not decided what OS I want this time), but last I recall, anyone can "add a waypoint" to any cache in their phone.

I met one basic member on the trail a couple weeks ago, who was doing 4+ terrain caches using the geocaching app this way (get the info from the site,  enter coordinates by adding a waypoint).  Seemed to work okay for him.  :)

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, cerberus1 said:

I haven't loaded an app (still not decided what OS I want this time), but last I recall, anyone can "add a waypoint" to any cache in their phone.

I met one basic member on the trail a couple weeks ago, who was doing 4+ terrain caches using the geocaching app this way (get the info from the site,  enter coordinates by adding a waypoint).  Seemed to work okay for him.  :)

For an easy Geocaching 101 where everyone is to go out and use their own phone, the Official App might be simpler than finding separate IOS and Android apps for people to load, and then having to provide separate instructions.  The Official App is not identical across platforms, but it does allow typing coordinates, maybe from printouts of cache pages.  Or from a list of practice "caches" placed nearby just for the Geocaching 101 event.  I'd suggest lending GPSrs (or phones) that are ready to go, to save a lot of time finding and setting up "apps" (let alone having to sign up for a Geocaching account before one even knows what "Geocaching" is).  I know people who have never loaded "apps" and don't know their app store account password.  There's a lot less of the "Showing people how to find Geocaches" thing, if you spend a lot of event time setting up phones. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion