Jump to content

Keeping track of FTF's


Followers 2

Recommended Posts

We used to keep track of FTFs by simply checking on a blackboard at one time...

But we always put the ftf & total  in parenthesis in our found it log so it'd show on gsak in a search (I believe project-gc does the same) if we ever wanted to get serious. 

We finally burned out at 350, but still get one once in a while, usually one involving a lengthy walk.   :)

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, cerberus1 said:

We used to keep track of FTFs by simply checking on a blackboard at one time...

But we always put the ftf & total  in parenthesis in our found it log so it'd show on gsak in a search (I believe project-gc does the same) if we ever wanted to get serious. 

We finally burned out at 350, but still get one once in a while, usually one involving a lengthy walk.   :)

 

Project-GC has a duel-tracking system. The first is putting one of the following tags in your Found it log: {*FTF*} {FTF} [FTF]. The second is the bookmark list. Either will work.

Link to comment

There are a couple things I do to keep track of my FTF's.

  1. Keep a bookmark list and add each cache I FTF to that list.
  2. Include "{FTF}" in my online logs for each FTF.  This 'tagging' allows Project-GC to detect my FTF's.  The other way for PGC to detect my FTF's is if I make my FTF Bookmark List public and specify that list in my PGC Settings.

Of course, adding caches to Bookmark Lists and tagging logs isn't very helpful if you don't remember which caches you FTF'd.  One thing you could try to help 'find' your FTF's is the Project-GC Forgotten FTFs? tool.  The results of this tool aren't 100%, but can be helpful.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Team Christiansen said:

Project-GC has a duel-tracking system. The first is putting one of the following tags in your Found it log: {*FTF*} {FTF} [FTF]. The second is the bookmark list. Either will work.

 

Keep in mind that the second method (bookmark list) only works if the bookmark list is made "Public".

Link to comment

As I'm sure most people know,  we can now add "corrected coordinates" or a personal note to any cache listing, and even view caches on a map or filter searches based on whether a cache "has corrected coordinates"  or "has personal geocache note".  We also know that, if you've added corrected coordinates or a personal note, you're the only one that will see that information.   I know the FTF game isn't officially supported by GS (though it's certainly recognized and even encouraged).   Since anyone that wants to keep track of their FTFs essentially has to choose their own method,  I'm surprised that I haven't seen a suggestion (that I can recall) for GS to check for a token in ones personal not (e.g. {FTF}) or even provide a "FTF checkbox" so that the geocaching site could generate the list.   Personally, I have some issues with the FTF game and think that it causes too much drama, but I thought it this would be an interesting idea that wouldn't require a great deal of programming.

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, NYPaddleCacher said:

...Since anyone that wants to keep track of their FTFs essentially has to choose their own method,  I'm surprised that I haven't seen a suggestion (that I can recall) for GS to check for a token in ones personal not (e.g. {FTF}) or even provide a "FTF checkbox" so that the geocaching site could generate the list.   Personally, I have some issues with the FTF game and think that it causes too much drama, but I thought it this would be an interesting idea that wouldn't require a great deal of programming.

I recall a few threads on ways of  keeping track of ftfs on this site.

I also feel that the ftf side-game creates too much drama at times, and that's why I'd like that stat to be kept  from this site.  

There are other options currently available, and I think those interested can choose their own method of keeping track.    :)

Link to comment
7 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Bookmark list. And I prepend to the cache name the date as YYYY-MM-DD so it's sorted by date and I can watch for streaks. :)

This -- plus I visit our FTF geocoin to the cache.

 

I used to keep more notes in the bookmark list and in the coin logs, but that was when I chased FTF more often.  Not sure who I thought would be interested.  These days, I figure one a year or so is enough.  I don't share the bookmark list with anyone other than project-GC, and I haven't advertised the coin, so both are just for my purposes.

Link to comment
27 minutes ago, hzoi said:

I don't share the bookmark list with anyone other than project-GC, and I haven't advertised the coin, so both are just for my purposes.

Curious.  I though PGC required that your bookmark list be public, in order for PGC to use it for FTF tracking. I don't see that you have a FTF Bookmark List in your profile, so is PGC using a bookmark list that is not public?  I ended up using the FTF tagging method, since I didn't want to make my FTF bookmark list public, so just wondering if I'm missing something in how it works.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, noncentric said:

Curious.  I though PGC required that your bookmark list be public, in order for PGC to use it for FTF tracking. I don't see that you have a FTF Bookmark List in your profile, so is PGC using a bookmark list that is not public?  I ended up using the FTF tagging method, since I didn't want to make my FTF bookmark list public, so just wondering if I'm missing something in how it works.

Hmm.  I have it set as public, but that I don't want to share it with others.  It used to show up on caches.  I see now that it shows up under "My bookmark lists" but not under those visible to all viewers, and it doesn't show up in my public lists.

 

Bug or feature?

Link to comment

Just confirmed that setting a bookmark list to public but not shared removes it from the public view -- even from my own view when I look at my public profile.  I changed the setting on another list and refreshed pages, and it vanished from public view.

 

Still not sure whether it's a bug or a feature.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, hzoi said:

Just confirmed that setting a bookmark list to public but not shared removes it from the public view -- even from my own view when I look at my public profile.  I changed the setting on another list and refreshed pages, and it vanished from public view.

 

Still not sure whether it's a bug or a feature.

Interesting. Sounds like a bug, since the description of "Public" is that "Anyone can see this list."

Thanks for checking it out.  I've become accustomed to the tagging method for PGC, and I get so few FTF's, that I'll just stick with it and keep my FTF bookmark list private for now. 

Link to comment

The descriptions of the two settings have never really sat right with me. They seem to describe the same thing but different ways, except for the bit about showing on cache listings.

One makes it appear in your public profile, and makes it publicly linkable (sharing).
The other makes it visible in the list of bookmarklists on the cache page, and makes it publicly linkable.

Both make the list publicly, so technically both are 'shareable'. Toggling either option opens it up to community visibility, the only difference is one toggles it on your profile, the other toggles it on the cache listings.  "Sharing" is the confusing bit I think.

Link to comment

I use a profile builder that will keep track of any FTF you can make whatever ping it as a FTF.  I use WNFTF so if I ever FTF a cache in the log somewhere I will add WNFTF and it keeps a log of them for me.  Don't use FTF because if you ever said "I thought I would be FTF but was a min to late" or something it will still log it as a FTF.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Followers 2
×
×
  • Create New...