Multi-Cache or Puzzle?

Hello all,

I have just finished building a catch I plan on hiding in the very near future. With out giving away to many details because I want this thing to be a challenge, I built a large "treasure chest" catch. Stage one would lead you to a well hidden ammo can, inside you will find a map of where the treasure chest is at. The map will not have the exact location, more or less X marks the spot type deal. It will be up to the Geo-catcher to figure out were the island is, and locate said treasure chest.

Now the question, should I list this as a multi-catch or a puzzle catch?

And what about the difficulty rating? I know it should be listed as at least a 3 because it will take some time to figure out, but I don't want to over/ under rate the difficulty.

A multi-cache is appropriate if the posted coordinates point directly to the ammo can stage. If you had to solve a puzzle at home in order to figure out how to get to the first stage and its treasure map, then it would be a mystery cache.

The difficulty rating is fact-dependent. Is the treasure map crystal clear or is guesswork and deduction involved?

Edited by Keystone

I like the idea, no not to be negative but what if this happens?

Cacher 1 finds the ammo can and takes the map to find the final, while this is happening another cacher comes along and finds the ammo can (no map).

Would you be placing multiple copies of the map, or perhaps you could mention you need a smart phone or camera for stage 1 and tell cacher's to take a photo of the map before carrying on?

Are you prepared for people to take your map with them to find the final, then NOT choose to backtrack to replace it?

Great question, The ammo can will be stocked with at least 20 maps at a time. I made it from google earth. It will be just about impossible for someone to find the final stage with out taking the map home for study.

To answer the 3 or 4 questions about the map going missing. Stage one will be well stocked with 20 or so copies of the map. I made the map with the help of google earth. I expect the catchers to take a copy with them, and it will not be a problem if they do not bring it back. When i drive buy stage one, every week or so, i can just print out some new maps and place them inside stage one. If for some reason someone decides to place a log book into stage one, it wont last but a week and it will really be their loss to not experience the final stage. The treasure chest i built for it is 2 foot by 3 foot by 3 foot, if they rather find the ammo can well.....

Are you prepared for people to take your map with them to find the final, then NOT choose to backtrack to replace it?

Great question, The ammo can will be stocked with at least 20 maps at a time. I made it from google earth. It will be just about impossible for someone to find the final stage with out taking the map home for study.

I hope you make it clear on the cache page that two trips will be required to make the find.

I hope you make it clear on the cache page that two trips will be required to make the find.

If they are able to find it on the second trip out. maybe it will take 3 trips, or 4, or maybe they wont ever find it.......

Personally - as it sounds like the field puzzle is tricky, I would want to list it as a Puzzle cache. Less chance of someone who thinks it is a simple multi getting frustrated at the puzzle aspects.

Whilst it is true that Multi is appropriate if the first stage is at the posted coordinates, I have also done Puzzle caches where the first stage is at the posted coordinates. Or, if your reviewer doesn't allow that, you can add a "solve at home" puzzle to get the initial coordinates.

If they are able to find it on the second trip out. maybe it will take 3 trips, or 4, or maybe they wont ever find it.......

Obviously. I have been on many caches that I had to revisit to find, but that was always because I did an inadequate search. If the DESIGN of the cache requires going home to solve a puzzle presented at a stage, the cache description should so state.

If it's expected that the cacher reviews the map at home, then maybe the first stage isn't even needed? Just provide the map on the cache page, then the cacher can 'study' it at home to determine how to proceed to the final. So, a mystery cache.

In a "real" treasure hunt involving a map, the hard part is usually finding the map. So make it a multi-level puzzle that can be solved at home before the map is revealed.

That would also allow those just visiting the area for a day or two to obtain the map before leaving home (which could be hundreds or thousands of miles away).

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

If it's expected that the cacher reviews the map at home, then maybe the first stage isn't even needed? Just provide the map on the cache page, then the cacher can 'study' it at home to determine how to proceed to the final. So, a mystery cache.

In a "real" treasure hunt involving a map, the hard part is usually finding the map. So make it a multi-level puzzle that can be solved at home before the map is revealed.

That would also allow those just visiting the area for a day or two to obtain the map before leaving home (which could be hundreds or thousands of miles away).

Nice idea.

Or could do both. An "at home" puzzle which gives you half the map, and the coordinates for stage 1. Inside stage 1 is the other half of the map. Lots of options.

Nice idea.

Or could do both. An "at home" puzzle which gives you half the map, and the coordinates for stage 1. Inside stage 1 is the other half of the map. Lots of options.

Instead of half a map, the at home puzzle could lead to a link which has a map as a downloadable image. Print off the map and bring it to stage one, which contains a clear plastic sheet with an X on it that can be placed over the printed map to reveal the location of the final.

That led me to another idea. There are a few sites that sell "decoder glasses". They're basically like 3-D glasses but the lenses are the same color (or just has a "monacle" with a single lens). Images can be printed such that a message will appear when seen through the "decoder glasses".

Edited by NYPaddleCacher
Instead of half a map, the at home puzzle could lead to a link which has a map as a downloadable image. Print off the map and bring it to stage one, which contains a clear plastic sheet with an X on it that can be placed over the printed map to reveal the location of the final.
In another context, I've learned that when other people print a document, their printed copy may not line up with a transparency based on my printed copy.

Your best bet at getting them to match is to use PDF, and to specify that the PDF be printed with no scaling or margins or fitting to the page or anything else that would modify the image.