Some one took my Coin

Kath&ChrisintheBUS

Do you think it is best not to put any trackables out as both of mine have been taken called the Good Life....bummer

I tend to be philosophical about it. Soon as I release a trackable, I really don't have any control over it. If it keeps moving, great. Otherwise, I tend to release trackables when it's fun, and I don't when it's not.

Do you think it is best not to put any trackables out as both of mine have been taken called the Good Life....bummer

You must expect them to be taken and kept, which Groundspeak tells takers to do, in the Free App, no less! (Got a problem with that? Let GS know that policy is unacceptable, which it of course is.)

However, Geocoins are inscribed with tracking numbers (they're trackable, go figure). They may turn up someday, to likely disappear into the void again soon. It's a wild ride, and if you don't like surprises nor uncertainty, keep your property instead.

You must expect them to be taken and kept, which Groundspeak tells takers to do, in the Free App, no less! (Got a problem with that? Let GS know that policy is unacceptable, which it of course is.)

From what I'm seeing, that marketing strategy is working, and trackables are disappearing much quicker than they were before the app. :mad:

I'm doing my part by not purchasing anymore. :anibad:

+1

I also make it known to others, when asked why some of the other 2/3rds almost 200 coins aren't being released.

We learned our lesson with the few we sent out.

One of those "fool me once..." things.

She (when asked), not wishing to get into drama related to a hobby she's not too confortable with anymore, refers 'em to me. :laughing:

One thing I will toss out and it may seem like a subtle difference... When you buy a trackable, the item itself doesn't matter. What you are buying is the trackable number or code. Even after the item or proxy has been moved or is missing, you still own the code. Send out a new replacement proxy with the same code, if that one goes missing send out a new one... with the same code. and so on.

I took a look at the help section in the app, and I'm not seeing this. Is it somewhere else in the app?

One of the last vestiges of really terrible wording is in the Free App for new cachers to try. Pretty much everywhere else, when the question is "Can I keep it?", the answer is "No." Don't throw out exceptions, just say "NO".

... because you know another thing that is nowhere in the App? Any reference to what is meant by "your collection".

I mean I've been talking about this exact thing for years now, til I'm blue in the nose. Look at the threads in this Forum about people who are keeping a coveted coin "to see if it gets marked Collectible so I can keep it", and you know it's problematic to have text like that in the App.

67a0cbf0-94ca-41a2-8047-ba05351113a6.jpg

Edited by kunarion

One thing I will toss out and it may seem like a subtle difference... When you buy a trackable, the item itself doesn't matter. What you are buying is the trackable number or code. Even after the item or proxy has been moved or is missing, you still own the code. Send out a new replacement proxy with the same code, if that one goes missing send out a new one... with the same code. and so on.

Why not send out some of yours (most still in your possession since May...) and lead by example. :laughing:

I believe most realize the code number's theirs, but some aren't as nonchalant about simply replacing it again.

Often more than ten bucks each, "lost" coins (not to be confused with TBs...) can add up to a big loss real quick.

Losing a heavy, shiney coin just doesn't seem similar to a dog tag with an item attached.

Maybe because to many a "coin" even appears valuable. :)

Losing a heavy, shiney coin just doesn't seem similar to a dog tag with an item attached.

Maybe because to many a "coin" even appears valuable. :)

Though the coins I've found, and have also been given be fellow geocachers at events, say to keep. Unless pathtags are different then the coins you're referring to.

Other than that I had found a trackable marked as missing from several years ago. I'm still hoping to hear back from the owner as it was in a container but not placed in the app inventory. I found it interesting to find a missing one but feel bad that it went missing in the first place. I agree that with trackables, you have to go with the mindset that some people might end up keeping them.

Back in 03 when I started caching I bought 5-6 TB tags. I sent them out - watched them till they disappeared. Then I came to the realization that GS has one heck of a racket. Hey know that coins and bugs disappear and / or get "collected"

At several bucks each, they're more than happy to keep pumping out those trinkets.

Nope - I don't buy them anymore...

I still try to move a TB on the rare occasions I find one in a cache, but I'll throw no more money away...

On 06/02/2017 at 11:38 PM, kunarion said:

One of the last vestiges of really terrible wording is in the Free App for new cachers to try. Pretty much everywhere else, when the question is "Can I keep it?", the answer is "No." Don't throw out exceptions, just say "NO".

... because you know another thing that is nowhere in the App? Any reference to what is meant by "your collection".

I mean I've been talking about this exact thing for years now, til I'm blue in the nose. Look at the threads in this Forum about people who are keeping a coveted coin "to see if it gets marked Collectible so I can keep it", and you know it's problematic to have text like that in the App.

67a0cbf0-94ca-41a2-8047-ba05351113a6.jpg

O.M.G
I've never read the wording on the app .....

To me , If I mark on of my TB's / coins as collectable , its here at home with me and not in the game so to speak .

21 minutes ago, little-leggs said:

O.M.G
I've never read the wording on the app .....

To me , If I mark on of my TB's / coins as collectable , its here at home with me and not in the game so to speak .

Thankfully, the wording was changed a few months ago.

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, little-leggs said:

Sure - but if that's the case, marking your coin as collectable is only step 1. 

The next step is to move each TB to your collection.  At that point, the only options available to anyone who comes across the tracking number should be to write a note or discover it. 

See, e.g., our beer geocoin.  Even if I gave you the tracking code, you wouldn't have an option to grab it or place it in your collection, unless I move it out of our collection and don't change it to non-collectable.

• Upvote 2