Possibility for cache owners to 'confirm' logs

baracutio

Hey folks,

I haven't found anything regarding this topic, so I will start a new one.

To keep it short:

I would like to see a possibility for cache owners to mark log entries, which I checked online vs. physical logbook, as 'confirmed by cache owner'.

Pros:

- It adds an extra portion of quality and trust to the cache maintained by the owner.

- It will add some credibility on user statistics.

- COs who check their logs on a regular basis see at the first view, which logs are checked/to be checked (Think about holiday cachers: They're writing their online logs partially weeks/month after their visit).

- It might reduce the amount of faked log entries.

- Reviewers could see the activities and reliability of the cache owner.

Cons:

- Additional workload for the cache owner.

- Instead of deleting logs, they will be just marked as 'not confirmed' or 'questionable log'.

So, what do other cachers & COs think about this topic? Useful, unnecessary or nice feature?

Best regards,

Karsten

Cons:

- Additional workload for the cache owner.

- Instead of deleting logs, they will be just marked as 'not confirmed' or 'questionable log'.

Not confirmed.. ok, questionable.. why?

Extra workload for CO's... Think about a PT in an area with many cachers. Feel like "confirming" a few 1000 logs each week? Don't thinks so.

It might be a good idea for EC and Virtuals though but not for "run of the mill" trads.

So, what do other cachers & COs think about this topic? Useful, unnecessary or nice feature?

Kind of takes the "light and fun" out of the activity for me. Becomes more of a bookkeeping activity, rather than getting out and exploring activity. I appreciate the thought of having active/responsive cache owners, I just feel this idea is a bit on the overkill side of things.

I would have no issue with implementing this idea as a private tool available for cache owners on the listings they own. I don't own an earthcache, but if I did, I'd find a "confirmed" box quite handy for keeping track of who had sent in the verification answers. Ditto that for verification work on the challenge caches that I manage.

As a visible indicator viewable by the public? No thanks.

Edited by The Leprechauns

Extra workload for CO's... Think about a PT in an area with many cachers. Feel like "confirming" a few 1000 logs each week? Don't thinks so.

Becomes more of a bookkeeping activity

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

But how do you maintain your caches and check its logs? Or are you just 'accepting' every log?

As stated in the guidelines...

Owner is responsible for geocache listing maintenance.

As the owner of your cache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache listing. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

So, for me being a cache owner is more than just throwing lots of boxes into the woods. Everyone should be aware that maintaining and keeping a cache alive is additional work. I have seen a lot of good and bad examples in the past years. I think that not every CO is aware of its responsibilities and duties.

Overdone. Overkill. This recreational activity is not geared toward Olympic-level stats.

We have a local cacher with over 1,000 hides over a wide area. He maintains them well whenever a problem is noted. Now he is supposed to be traveling 40 hours a week and do a log search and reconciliation audit??

Nah, fogetaboutit!

Becomes more of a bookkeeping activity

Thanks for sharing your opinions!

But how do you maintain your caches and check its logs? Or are you just 'accepting' every log?

As stated in the guidelines...

Owner is responsible for geocache listing maintenance.

As the owner of your cache listing, your responsibility includes quality control of all posts to the cache listing. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off-topic or otherwise inappropriate.

So, for me being a cache owner is more than just throwing lots of boxes into the woods. Everyone should be aware that maintaining and keeping a cache alive is additional work. I have seen a lot of good and bad examples in the past years. I think that not every CO is aware of its responsibilities and duties.

This all sounds really tedious to me. I agree that this veers well away from "fun" and into a chore. Most cache owners wouldn't use it anyway, most especially the lazy cache owners who employ the "set it and forget it" method of cache ownership.

I also don't see any need to a "confirmed" status on a log. If a log is showing up on a cache page, by default, it's confirmed. If you think someone logged your cache but didn't actually find it, check the physical log and if the proof isn't there, then delete the log. That way, the rest of the logs on your caches are all confirmed because they weren't deleted.

I would have no issue with implementing this idea as a private tool available for cache owners on the listings they own. I don't own an earthcache, but if I did, I'd find a "confirmed" box quite handy for keeping track of who had sent in the verification answers. Ditto that for verification work on the challenge caches that I manage.

Yes, that sounds like a good idea. A check box for the EarthCache or Challenge Cache owner to tick as "confirmed"...makes sense. So we the cachers wouldn't need to wait for a response to our emails.

As a visible indicator viewable by the public? No thanks.

Agreed. Not necessary.

But how do you maintain your caches and check its logs?

Go to the physical location, pull out the log book, and check the signed physical log against the online logs.

We don't own many caches, so it's not a hardship.

I can't "confirm" any online logs without looking at the physical log book, can I?

B.

When we do maintenance we'll look at logs and "confirm" then.

We delete the few fakers with no fanfare, and don't see a "confirm" as something needed/wanted (for us).

- Those who actually did them show they did by simply signing the log

Mostly ammo cans with higher terrain today (rarely visited), maintenance may be a while...

Our Reviewers are pretty familiar with many cache owners, and sorta know of their "reliability" (as far as cache maintenance), though the first step showing otherwise is supposed to be fellow cachers. :)

This proposed audit system, in addition to creating tedious work for cache owners, is not foolproof.

Suppose my friend agrees to sign my name (along with his own name) when he finds a cache. Fantastic - I have "approved" and "confirmed" finds that support my huge find count and boost my ego and status in the community.

;)

I don't. :ph34r: I'm not a CO.

I do appreciate a CO's input though. I'm happy to go find well maintained "quality caches" (my definition of quality, ymmv), I appreciate EC/virtual COs to let me know my answers were correct but if they don't I know all is OK if my logs stand.

To keep it short:

I would like to see a possibility for cache owners to mark log entries, which I checked online vs. physical logbook, as 'confirmed by cache owner'.

I've checked your logs.

They are fine.

Thank you.

:P

I now look like a good CO. ;)

Honest opinion on the idea? Easy done, without checking the cache, it's a keyboard exercise.

Those that DO check when they maintain their cache will still do so, those that can't be bothered will just mark things as "Checked" without going anywhere near the cache.

As the owner of a physical cache, how long do I have before finders start pestering me to "confirm" their logs, so their stats can show "confirmed" logs instead of "unconfirmed" logs?

I like the alternate suggestion for EarthCache owners (and virtual cache owners) to have a private "confirmed" checkbox, to help them keep track of which Finds correspond to emailed answers. But I don't see a net benefit to a public "confirmed" indicator on Find logs.

This seems to be a solution in search of a problem. Your "pros" state how this could be used but not why this is actually needed.

If you want to confirm log entries as a cache owner, take a picture of the log during your visit to your cache and post it with your owner maintenance log.

If you want to confirm log entries as a cache owner, take a picture of the log during your visit to your cache and post it with your owner maintenance log.
And as a bonus, self-service confirmations are available. Finders can post photos of the log with their own signatures.