Secretary & Treasurer Resigns From The Maryland Geocaching Society

Klause Von Kuhn

Klause Von Kuhn and Emmas Tiger have resigned from the Maryland Geocaching Society today. Our caches are up for grabs. If anyone wishes to adopt them, they are more than welcomed to do so. Permission is certainly granted. We both have met some really great people along the way and we thank the world of geocaching for that. But the time has come for us to part from the MGS and the sport itself. To all of those that have done our caches, we thank you and hope that you have enjoyed them. We wish all geocachers farewell including those that are in charge of the MGS.

Hmmm, I suspect that there is a little more behind this than someone suddenly deciding that they weren't into geocaching anymore after two years in the sport.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Hmmm, I suspect that there is a little more behind this than someone suddenly deciding that they weren't into geocaching anymore after two years in the sport.

_"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry_

Agreed.

Quite correct, to do so would be neither appropriate or prudent.

quote:
Originally posted by Klause Von Kuhn:

Yes BrianSnat, I agree with you. But these forums are not the place to air dirty laundry.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

quote:
Originally posted by sranddboggny.us:

HMM! Me thinks thou protest too much!

All your base are belong to us. icon_wink.gif

My point was this: I don't know Klause well enough to know what's behind his decision, I just met him at our picnic. What I do know is that if someone posts a message like that, it shouldn't be responded to like two little old ladies gossiping at the Hair Cuttery. It sounds like it is/was a personal decision, and after 2 years of a lot of hard work, not an easy one to make. It would be best to leave Klause and Emma's Tiger to whatever personal needs take them away from the game without the gossip.

No harm, no foul.

~robert

(that's mrkablooey, not kablooey)

The Maryland Geocaching Society www.mdgps.net

quote:
Yes BrianSnat, I agree with you. But these forums are not the place to air dirty laundry.

But with this post and a similar one in the General Forum, you already did. You had to know it would pique the interest of geocachers and raise questions.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

Well said mrkablooey. This was a difficult decision to make, but one that I stand very firm on. Geocaching was a big part of my life and I will miss it for sure. But what I sought out to do in this sport was to make a difference in someone's life and I have done that. So my goals in geocaching had been achieved. As far as putting all of my caches up for adoption, I feel that it would be a shame to see them all get archived and pulled up. So consider it a token of my appreciation to those that have given so much to me. Actually the process has already started. A young lady has shown an interest in my cache in the Ocean City area and I thank her. A special thanks to Jeremy and G.C.com for the sport itself.

I was more than a little surprised by this announcement also.

I have corresponded with Klause on a couple of occasions and he was nice enough to move a cache I placed last year to a new location. My dealings with him personally via email/forums and through the search for several of his excellent caches have been an all-around outstanding experience.

On one hand I'm sad to see him go, but if he has achieved his goals then I guess it's a personal decision to go out while on top.

Best wishes and good luck!!!

Success is not measured by the position one has reached in life, rather by the obstacles overcome while trying to succeed.

- Booker T. Washington

quote:
What I do know is that if someone posts a message like that, it shouldn't be responded to like two little old ladies gossiping at the Hair Cuttery.

I think that's exactly what he wanted, otherwise he would have phrased it in a manner that didn't ignite speculation.

Godspeed Klause on all your future endeavors and hobbies. You were a big part of the sport of geocaching in Maryland and your name and legendary hides will always be part of the folklore of Maryland Geocaching. It is a monumentus decision but the high road pubically has been taken by all and thats as it should be. Maryland has a quality caching community and let it be said you will be missed KVK. icon_confused.gif

Wags, Russ & Erin

To make a production out of the entire episode was airing dirty laundry or at least putting the world on notice that said laundry exised.

It reeks of sour grapes. True discression would of been to post the caches are up for adoption and say nothing about resigning.

Either kill the thread or spill the beans. It's too late to take things back.

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on July 28, 2003 at 02:02 PM.]

We agree with Renegade and Brians. There is more here than is readily apparent. The intent is obviously to at least hint at a major issue/blowup within the MGS. One doesn't just up and quit a sport that one has invested this much time and effort in unless something significant went down. Like Brian said, there is a big jump between resigning a position in a stupid society and quitting the sport altogether. We don't even really want to know what happened. We're in GA so it really doesn't matter. We just hate to see someone who seems to be such a contributor to the sport leave.

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here