German-speaking help needed, please

Gill & Tony

I have been looking at this cache and would like someone to look at the logs for me.

My rudimentary German says that the cache has gone and people are photologging the cache, but I'm not really sure. Could someone please have a look and explain what is actually going on?

Of course, if you are from Cologne or have already found it, that would be really helpful

Thanks

Tony

I have been looking at this cache and would like someone to look at the logs for me.

My rudimentary German says that the cache has gone and people are photologging the cache, but I'm not really sure. Could someone please have a look and explain what is actually going on?

Copy some logs over here.

My German isn't good enough to know which logs to copy. It would be more logical for a fluent German speaker to read enough of the logs to understand what is happening. Then they could explain it to me.

The logs are saying that the cache is still there but cannot be opened. The cachers are posting pictures to show that they have found the cache.

Fotologging seems to be growing in popularity. Especially when someone wants to color in a new country.

If I find the cache and cannot open it due to no problem or failing of mine, that is one thing. If I don't find the cache or can't open it because I don't know how, then I won't claim the find. YMMV

It seems that the lock is jammed and you can't open it. First mentioned in a needs maintenance on February 29, and more than 50 Found it afterwards without signing the logbook?

Why isn't this cache disabled until it gets maintained? In my opinion virtual caches are virtual caches and traditional caches are traditional caches and not meant for photologging or logging 'because I was there'.

It seems to me relating to guidelines that relativism rulez on both sides of the pond, also when reading the answers in the thread 'Asking group cachers to sign log with individual trailnames'.

Copy some logs over here.

My German isn't good enough to know which logs to copy. It would be more logical for a fluent German speaker to read enough of the logs to understand what is happening. Then they could explain it to me.

I meant just the last few. I'm a fluent German speaker but not a Premium member and you linked to a PM-only cache. Meanwhile others have helped anyway. I wanted to help in the night, but could not.

What's strange is that the cache owner is a reviewer (even though I believe that he must have adopted the cache as I recall that it belonged to someone else when I heard about the cache).

As stated, the lock seems broken (or someone accidentally changed the code). There shouldn't be any found logs in this case as it's impossible to get to the logbook.

I guess the 20 trackables are because people take TBs and don't log them as retrieved. At such a location I would be surprised if there was a TB to find.

At least the "mystery code" is easy enough, it's been a while since I was in Koln (spend 8 months there) but I think the code can be seen from the bridge :ph34r: ).

The logs are saying that the cache is still there but cannot be opened. The cachers are posting pictures to show that they have found the cache.

I have a cache on my watchlist that is in Cuba where probably 80% of the logs on it are in German. I've just been cut-n-pasting the logs into google translate and the translation is good enough to tell me that it's been replaced at least twice in the last couple of months and may currently be just a piece of paper in a plastic baggie stuck in a tree. I think the CO is actually from Germany as well. I should probably take it off my watch list as I won't be visiting the city it's in now (the meetings I'll be attending have been moved to Havana).

Just a note... Google at one time had a translating service or app. I have never used it, but I have seen others use it. mind you, it's not always accurate. German also does not always translate literally. An example would be: One night at the club, a young lady came up to me and said (I apologize for spelling issues, but you'll get the idea). Kanst du mir einen gefallen tuun? A literal translation from my trusty pocket German/English dictionary said this means: "Can you make me pleased"? Now as a young Soldier in Germany, and this being a pretty girl, I'm thinking "You bet'cha I can"! But something smacked me upside the head and said to ask one of my German friends. Saved by the smack! What that actually means is... "Can you do me a favor"?

Some are easier to translate from a literal meaning into what it actually means. Embarrassments can prevail! So be careful, and enjoy a laugh on me.

One night at the club, a young lady came up to me and said (I apologize for spelling issues, but you'll get the idea). Kanst du mir einen gefallen tuun? A literal translation from my trusty pocket German/English dictionary said this means: "Can you make me pleased"? Now as a young Soldier in Germany, and this being a pretty girl, I'm thinking "You bet'cha I can"! But something smacked me upside the head and said to ask one of my German friends. Saved by the smack! What that actually means is... "Can you do me a favor"?

Wow, that really was a close one... :unsure: But I think that's a problem you'll have with every language, that there are idiomatic expressions that can't be translated that easily. And as someone whos mothertongue is German I tell you that you shouldn't trust this dictionary. After all this sentence is quite easy to translate (in my opinion...). I have truly no idea how it got from "Kannst du mir einen Gefallen tun?" to "Can you make me pleased?" because even just translated word for word you wouldn't get that but something like "Can you me a favor do?". Okay, it's still not really right but nontheless...

Just a note... Google at one time had a translating service or app.

Google Translate is quite unreliable, especially for such short texts as cache logs.

Google have been improving their translations a great deal over the course of time. The sentence above ("Kanst du mir einen gefallen tuun?") is, for example, correctly translated and correctly reordered to English syntax to "Can you do me a favor".

The last "owner maintenance" log from March 26th says that the lock can be opened easily. Most of the later logs don't mention any problems either. Only a few cachers report that they've had some difficulties with opening the lock, but most of them succeeded eventually. There is a hint for the code in the listing. Good luck and have fun!

Edited because I had included a spoiler.

Edited by .Flo.

The last "owner maintenance" log from March 26th says that the lock can be opened easily. Most of the later logs don't mention any problems either. Only a few cachers report that they've had some difficulties with opening the lock, but most of them succeeded eventually. The code must be XXXX, there is a hint in the listing. It says that it has something to do with Eau de Cologne which is also called XXXX. Good luck and have fun!

Please do not provide solutions to puzzles or the like in these forums!

Edited by TeamRabbitRun

The last "owner maintenance" log from March 26th says that the lock can be opened easily. Most of the later logs don't mention any problems either. Only a few cachers report that they've had some difficulties with opening the lock, but most of them succeeded eventually. The code must be XXXX, there is a hint in the listing. It says that it has something to do with Eau de Cologne which is also called XXXX. Good luck and have fun!

Please do not provide solutions to puzzles or the like in these forums!

OK, I have edited my post.