Geocaching as a social activity?

FlyingDuc

I can understand why geocachers would want to hang out with other people that share an interest. But the actual activity of geocaching as a team has me a little confused and I was wondering if people could help shed some light on this topic.

I recently released a few caches into the wild and had several teams of people descend on them to get FTFs. On a couple of them, the teams didn't find a cache on the first try and they deemed it impossible that their team of 4 members couldn't find it, so they got upset. After a couple of tries, another team got a different cache and then they all claimed credit for the FTF. On another cache, one of the people called a person who found it to ask for the location of the cache so they could go out and find it.

From my perspective, this kind of seems like cheating, but I know that whole social aspect of it is encouraged. I understand that. But collaborating when finding a cache? Doesn't that take the fun and/or challenge out of finding a cache?

For the easy caches, it's fun to go out with your family...as a father I can understand that. For the more challenging caches, I find it more rewarding to find it myself, and if I don't, then go back and try again until I do find it.

Could someone please help me understand team caching?

Thanks!

Edited by brookr1

I can understand why geocachers would want to hang out with other people that share an interest. But the actual activity of geocaching as a team has me a little confused and I was wondering if people could help shed some light on this topic.

I recently released a few caches into the wild and had several teams of people descend on them to get FTFs. On a couple of them, the teams didn't find a cache on the first try and they deemed it impossible that their team of 4 members couldn't find it, so they got upset. After a couple of tries, another team got a different cache and then they all claimed credit for the FTF. On another cache, one of the people called a person who found it to ask for the location of the cache so they could go out and find it.

From my perspective, this kind of seems like cheating, but I know that whole social aspect of it is encouraged. I understand that. But collaborating when finding a cache? Doesn't that take the fun and/or challenge out of finding a cache?

For the easy caches, it's fun to go out with your family...as a father I can understand that. For the more challenging caches, I find it more rewarding to find it myself, and if I don't, then go back and try again until I do find it.

Could someone please help me understand team caching?

Thanks!

Simply put if your name is in the logbook, you can log it as found. It doesn't matter if you're alone, or with 3 people, or 13 people. It doesn't matter if you found it or your sister did, doesn't matter if you solve the puzzle or your friend did.

So this people who cache together, well they can do that if they want. You who wants to find it yourself can do that if you want.

You also can't say it takes the fun out of caching. You can say you don't think it's fun, but you can't say others can't find it fun. You think it's about the challenge? Then you must only find 5/5 caches, after all there's no challenge on a 1/1.

Tl;Dr It's about the fun. Different people have different ideas of fun. You don't have to agree, you just have to accept.

I'm not knocking it...I'm just trying to understand it.

I knock it. I think "sharing" an FTF is ridiculous and rarely makes any sense. Just my opinion, though, and I don't expect others to agree.

I don't really have any interest in group caching either. For me it is primarily a solitary activity and that is why I enjoy it. That doesn't mean I'm antisocial. I go to events and get along fine with others who cache. Occasionally I'll run into others while out caching and will chat with them if the opportunity is good. I just don't find the actual act of geocaching a social activity.

For me, it's an activity that exposes me to opportunities for social interaction.

From my perspective, this kind of seems like cheating, but I know that whole social aspect of it is encouraged.

I'm not sure "encouraged" is the right word. I mean, sure, it's allowed, and it's definitely not discouraged, but I think, by and large, geocachers are social because they want to be social, not because someone or something in the geocaching world encourages them to be social.

I understand that. But collaborating when finding a cache? Doesn't that take the fun and/or challenge out of finding a cache?

In a nutshell, the fun added by collaborating -- i.e., the additional social interaction -- is, for these people, more than enough to make up for any diminishing of the fun or challenge of finding the cache by themselves. Indeed, I think for a lot of people, the fun or challenge of finding a cache is somewhat secondary to the fun of getting out and following the coordinates to GZ.

In an FTF situation, there are even more advantages. First, by joining together with other FTF seekers and working as a team, they're avoiding a large chunk of the competitive angle to FTF hunts that many people find unpleasant. In addition, with more people, you're less likely to get there and then fail to find the cache.

Of course, this last point is what backfired on the one team you mention: they were banking so much on the team being able to find the cache that they were that much more disappointed with themselves for failing, and they in appropriately took it out on you. Pretty stupid of them. But I'm not that convinced this would be that much more common from a team than from an individual that gets himself hyped for an FTF find but then fails, so I'm not really sure it's relevant to you being puzzled by the team approach.

Thanks for the insight dprovan. Much appreciated!

I haven't been on an FTF hunt, so I may give that a try if I get the opportunity.

One more question...aren't FTF teams at a disadvantage because it takes them longer to muster? Or do they arrive individually and start the search and then others join in as they arrive? I'm sure each team works differently.

Hi,

I'd like you to know that you can feel and think whatever you want. There will always be people that agree and there will always be people that disagree - even if it regards geocaching.

Now, here's what I think about this: It's absurd, either you agree with me or not. This is my opinon, which means that I would never do such thing, but people are free to do whatever they want, because geocaching is, after all, your adventure, meaning you can enjoy it however you feel like. I usually go out geocaching with my brother, but sometimes my cousins join us. They are also geocachers, so we all usually plan the trips and get the finds together, so there's no "cheating" here. This is the social aspect you refer to. Under no circumstances I would ask them to log a find for me, because that's not how I see the geocaching spirit. As it is usually said throughout the community "The treasure is not in the cache itself. The treasure is in the adventure of finding the cache."

I mostly hunt alone, but a few times I've teamed up with others, particularly for caches that have the "teamwork required" attribute set. A year back, a group of us did a couple of kayak runs on the Hawkesbury River to grab some of the high terrain caches along there and that was a lot of fun.

I've also met other cachers while out seeking a FTF and we've teamed up, eventually claiming a joint find. It's a pretty friendly caching community here and this sort of thing is commonplace, which suits me fine as I don't have a particularly competitive nature.

Jeff

I haven't been on an FTF hunt, so I may give that a try if I get the opportunity.

The key to the FTF hunt is to remember that's it's a game, so have fun whether you're successful or not. The FTF is only gravy: you cache to make finds, so if you find the cache, you've had as much fun as usual even if you don't get the FTF.

One more question...aren't FTF teams at a disadvantage because it takes them longer to muster? Or do they arrive individually and start the search and then others join in as they arrive? I'm sure each team works differently.

You've got the idea, and there's no one answer. I've seen teams form spontaneously because everyone ran out and showed up at once, sometimes at the trailhead, sometimes at GZ. I've also seen people call the known rabid FTF hounds and arrange a meeting time as, essentially, a way to slow them down. In my area, at least, the FTF hounds are well known, and most of the people interesting in FTF hunts are friends, so an FTF hound will normally be happy to start a little later in order to have the company, and they don't mind sharing the wealth (since joint FTFs are normal and expected around here) and don't consider it a big deal to be skunked by an unexpected FTF seeker. No one around here really takes it that seriously, so it's all flexible.

If you don't understand why it's fun to cache as a group, I don't think it's something that can be explained. Some people are social, some aren't.

Well put. I think some people think "geocaching" and then have trouble understanding the idea of adding a social aspect to it, but the way to look at it is that people in teams are adding geocaching to a chance to get together with their friends. It just so happens that those are friend they've met through geocaching, but it's the friendship, not the geocaching, that's the key to understanding the team approach.

Using awful words like "cheating" to describe things you don't like or understand is needlessly hostile.

I think the OP was thinking of it as cheating because it bypasses what he considers the normal amount of effort to find the hide, not because he doesn't understand it or like it. At any rate, now that we're explaining it to him, perhaps he'll readjust his thinking if we aren't needlessly hostile in return.

Tl;Dr It's about the fun. Different people have different ideas of fun. You don't have to agree, you just have to accept.

No, she (I assume) doesn't. If she's not getting enjoyment because of how others are finding her caches she has the option of not placing any caches. She doesn't have to place caches just because a group of cachers feels entitled to find as many caches as possible.

Once again dprovan...another great, insightful post. Thank you! I am now more open to the idea of gatherings and group hunts, if only to satisfy my curiosity. Perhaps I will meet some nice people along the way.

I really don't care who finds my caches just as long as they place them as they found them and don't write defamatory logs. I've chatted with some very nice cachers and wouldn't mind meeting them in person.

No, she (I assume) doesn't. If she's not getting enjoyment because of how others are finding her caches she has the option of not placing any caches. She doesn't have to place caches just because a group of cachers feels entitled to find as many caches as possible.

Wanting to find a lot of caches doesn't mean a person or group is entitled. Might mean they're crazy, but not entitled. :P But you're right,none of us have to accept. Everyone has certain ideas on how caching should be done and they can try to place caches for people who think similarly. Of course this won't work in the real world because people are just too different.

As far as group caching, it is very enjoyable for many. I know that for myself and friends that i go with, there are two goals. Enjoying each other's company and grabbing a cache(s). The first is more important for me. Whether it's a ftf run, a full day of caching, or a multi-day caching vacation, going with friends or family is just a fun thing to do. To be honest, i agree that sharing a ftf seems kinda silly. But, i've done it myself. Mainly because the fun of being with friends outweighs the silliness factor. Besides that, being ftf just isn't something that anyone needs to take too serious anyway.

On caches that are challenging, sure it feels good to do all the work yourself. For me, and even when i'm with a group, i make sure i'm at ground zero when the cache is found, i make sure to solve any puzzle caches myself, and i also complete any physically challenging part of a cache that i come across. I won't log a cache that i can't reach myself. Again, people are different so i certainly don't expect everyone to cache this way.

Edited by Mudfrog

Some groups play with the huckle buckle beanstalk method, where those who have spotted the cache try to avoid spoiling it for the others, so that everyone has the opportunity to spot the cache on their own.

Some groups play with the three musketeer method, where everyone declares victory as soon as the first person spots the cache.

Some groups play with some sort of hybrid, or play different ways at different times, or maybe even play some other way entirely.

It all depends on what different people enjoy.

I usually cache alone, unless the Mrs. feels like coming out with me.

A while ago, I unsuccessfully visited a local VERY creatively hidden, well-done cache more times than I DNF'd. It became a 'thing'; "Someday I'll get that @#%* cache!!!"

So I attended an Event in the parking lot NEXT TO the patch of woods with the nasty cache. At the end of the event, somebody said, "Hey, let's go look for that!" (The event was NOT organized as a cache hunt.)

I made a mistake: I said "Uhhh, OK", and went along.

Of course, with eighteen people packed into a tiny patch of trees, somebody spotted it. High-fives all around.

Along with everyone else, I logged the find, even though I wasn't the one who found it. Felt terrible about it; regretted going, regretted logging.

Most of all, I regretted losing the opportunity to spear that bloody whale myself.

I think I'll keep caching alone.

A while ago, I unsuccessfully visited a local VERY creatively hidden, well-done cache more times than I DNF'd. It became a 'thing'; "Someday I'll get that @#%* cache!!!"

So I attended an Event in the parking lot NEXT TO the patch of woods with the nasty cache. At the end of the event, somebody said, "Hey, let's go look for that!" (The event was NOT organized as a cache hunt.)

Of course, with eighteen people packed into a tiny patch of trees, somebody spotted it. High-fives all around.

Along with everyone else, I logged the find, even though I wasn't the one who found it. Felt terrible about it; regretted going, regretted logging.

Most of all, I regretted losing the opportunity to spear that bloody whale myself.

It's funny how everyone is different. It wouldn't occur to me to regret a fun evening spent with fellow cachers.

It's funny how everyone is different. It wouldn't occur to me to regret a fun evening spent with fellow cachers.

Don't misunderstand, I don't regret going to the event; I regret going to the cache! I had considered it a personal nemesis, and conquering it was taken away. My fault, to be sure; I should have wished them well and left.

For me, sure, it feels good to be the one in the group to actually lay eyes on a cache first. But when someone else does it, it's not a big deal. The main part of the adventure was having fun with fellow cachers.

I will say that, although i've never regretted or felt terrible, i have kicked myself a few times. Kinda hurts the pride knowing that i had previously looked in the right place but somehow missed spotting a cache. :P

I would have stopped returning to that cache by myself because it would have made me so mad. There are dnf'd caches that I've put in a list, "will only go back again if I bring another person to help me". I would have welcomed the event find.

Don't misunderstand, I don't regret going to the event; I regret going to the cache! I had considered it a personal nemesis, and conquering it was taken away. My fault, to be sure; I should have wished them well and left.

I'm the same way. In a game where a significant amount of the joy is finding a hidden object, being in a group where someone else finds it means that was taken away from me. The guy on the bench may be part of the team, but he isn't the one who scored the winning basket. I get that there is enjoyment in being part of a group and enjoying the camaraderie along the way, but I don't consider it caching if I'm off having a discussion with someone while others are doing the "work".

I had a cache published today and went out to scope the FTF hounds. I parked on a side road and watched them come in. I ran into one that I spoke with previously on the phone. I watched them and gave them hints as they were searching for it. They appreciated it and I helped them get the FTF. We stayed and chatted for 30 minutes after that and they told me about their cache hides. So it appears I've made new friends.

Now if it were me doing the searching, and they were there watching, I would have insisted on no hints. But that's just how I am. I enjoy the challenge as much as I enjoy the company.

All of these viewpoints reinforce what most of us have known for a long time; that caching is whatever you want it to be. I'm definitely at the other end of your spectrum and am now collaborative on all but the the easiest hides. At the beginning, I was willing to spend hours in a dump searching or hours online researching puzzle material. I cached for a few months with an FTF hound and I admit it was addictive but rarely try now. What used to seem like a challenge became like a job. I appreciate a well-done cache just as much if I find it in 5 minutes as I would if I had earned it a harder way. I call people a lot and I share everything I know. I've added spoiler hints to most of my own hides and most read them. My habits are well enough known that some offer me extra hints before I ask. They know they will get an entertaining and appreciative log. I cache for the friendships, the places I discover or learn more about and for the creativity in many hides. The hunt/search is no longer any more than means to those ends and the quicker and easier, the better.

Sometimes a group of us will decide to meet up and go for a FTF. I don't think we would want to do that if we were just FTF hounds. (or maybe it makes it worse) But we are not all meeting up for the cache to see who can find it first. Otherwise it would make more sense for us just to go out there first then to wait for others. Then we search as a group and whoever finds it we did it as a group and all claim FTF as we all gathered together to go find it and work together.

For me it brings the community of local cachers together. We are all playing together as a big game. If we wanted a single FTF one of us would get there first and go sign it before bothering to meet others at the site. I am sure any one of us is capable of finding it on our own and many times we do but sometimes it is fun to meet up and hunt together. Even if it adds to the risk of someone beating us to it.

I enjoy caching alone and in groups large and small. I understand to a point how you feel. Much of the time if I'm in a large group, the cache is already out and being signed when I get to GZ. In those instances I don't feel comfortable logging a find because I had no part in finding the cache. When I'm in large groups, I rarely log finds on the caches the group found because of that. I also make it a point to pay no attention to the hiding place, so I can find it should I choose to return alone. In smaller groups of about 2-6 people I have no qualms logging the find even if I wasn't the person who actually discovered the cache. I figure I was an active part of the team and by me (and others on the team) eliminating certain areas, the team was able to narrow things down and find it. Often with smaller teams when one of us discovers the cache, he walks away and declares that he found it and lets the others keep looking. That gives every participant a chance to actually find the cache. This method is only feasible with smaller groups.

I enjoy caching alone and in groups large and small. I understand to a point how you feel. Much of the time if I'm in a large group, the cache is already out and being signed when I get to GZ. In those instances I don't log the find because I had no part in finding the cache. When I'm in large groups, I rarely log finds on the caches the group found because of that. I also make it a point to pay no attention to the hiding place, so I have a real hunt should I choose to come back alone.

In smaller groups of about 2-6 people I have no qualms logging the find even if I wasn't the person who actually discovered the cache. I figure I was an active part of the team and by me (and others on the team) eliminating certain areas, our efforts enabled the team to narrow things down and find it. Often with smaller teams when one of us discovers the cache, he walks away and declares that he found it and lets the others keep looking. That gives every participant a chance to actually find the cache. This method is only feasible with smaller groups.

Edited by briansnat