Any interest in a Long Island cache event?

Poppa Duck

I had high ideals when I posted my original note, but the response seems to be pretty low.

Rather than an organized day (figuring it'll cost at least $50 for a picnic site in one of the parks plus parking) with a poor turn-out, anyone interested in an informal get together later this summer.

I'm thinking either August or sometime after Labor Day. West Hills Park comes to mind since it's got quite a few caches that we could make a day out of. And if everyone brings a picnic we could have an informal lunch as part of the day.

Any thoughts?

-Poppa Duck

quote:
Originally posted by Poppa Duck:

I had high ideals when I posted my original note, but the response seems to be pretty low.

<<SNIP>>

I think that as with any GeoCache If you post it, They will come Make an event of it. Call the park you want to have it in and ask them about a permit. Once it's posted people will start letting you know if they can make it and what they wuld like to bring.

You'll be suprised on how many people show up. Read a few of the recent event cache pages to get some ideas. Make sure there are some caches to be found and maybe hide a couple of more.

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

quote:
a small group of people were begining to start a nyc metropolitan area group encompasing northern nj, nyc, li, southern ny and southern CT. hope you are all interested.

Can I be President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Sgt at Arms?

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

quote:
posted August 18, 2003 05:06 AM

I would not mind helping out with a small event in September or late Octiober

we were planing an oct event for the palisades region, however, something in sep on long island would also be cool. It would be great to have envents all over the area. any help/time you can or want to put in as far as planning an event would be appreciated.

quote:
Can I be President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Sgt at Arms?

the group is just a social group at this point. if people want to take it into another direction feel free. i had no intentions of having any official structure, however, its not my group, it is yours. i am just trying to get the ball rolling on something is all.

SR and dboggny.

SMLlogo.gif

Regarding the LI cache event: I scoped out Heckscher Park today and I don't think this is the best place for an event. The park is big but there seems to be a lack of good trails and woods to hide a lot of caches. At this point I'm looking at Southaven Park. Again this is a huge park that is easy to get to. It's heavily wooded with lots of great trails, canooing, kayaking, horseback riding and lots of other stuff.

I'm reluctant to have one out out Belmont or the Nassau/Suffolk area simply because it is too far for me to really set up. I'll keep you posted...

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.

Sounds good.

I was looking at a few places to have just a breakfast or lunch at some place as an event rather then a full day event....

Thoughts?

Chinese, or something like that,

would take less then 1.5 hours I would think if a place is picked that has seating resuvations.

JBadger ICQ #2686614 -- AOL IM sen3398

Lets go Geocaching http://www.geocaching.com/

SF, Furry, EMS, CONS, food food spicy food.

If Southaven doesn't work out there is also Cathedral Pines and Blydenburg as possibilities. Both are central Suffolk, but closer to mid island / north side.

I think an all day (afternoon maybe) event would be great while the weather is still warm and then when it gets cooler a breakfast type event central to several existing caches for after breakfast activities.

-PD

quote:
Originally posted by JBadger:

Sounds good.

I was looking at a few places to have just a breakfast or lunch at some place as an event rather then a full day event....

Thoughts?

Chinese, or something like that,

would take less then 1.5 hours I would think if a place is picked that has seating resuvations.

<<SNIP>>

Having a meet a greet is a great way to get to know each other. But it's not a GeoCaching event. An event cache should have some caching involved. The event that DboggNY is planning will be in an area that has quite a few caches already placed and will have a bunch of other caches placed before the event.

He's talking about two-three different possible places. There are plenty of places already on Long Island that have caches nearby and it would be easy to add a bit more.

BUT the only way to get this going is for someone to just go ahead and DO IT!. Don't wait for someone else to start it. Pick a park, call the park, get the permit, hide some caches, think up some caching games and POST THE EVENT CACHE. From there it will build on itself. People will ask what to bring and so on.

We're close enough to Long Island (and we grew up in Queens) to go to an event. If the dates work out for us we'll be there. If not, then we'll meet at the next one.

Posting an event two weeks before the event is doomed. A lead of at least a month will help people to make plans and set everything up.

Good luck and I hope it works out.

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.

Sydney J. Harris

OK. I spent alot of time talking about this, and I think sept 13th is a little too close for people to plan for it. Sept. 27th. Southaven Park. I'll get the permit tmr, and post the vent right away. This park is minutes from my house and should make it very easy for me to hide a few more caches here. I would also like some one else to hide a few. That way I can have some fun finding them. WRR, Cat-in-the-Hat, M&M, RPA, are just a few geocachers that are local to the area and have hidden excellent caches around here. I'll keep you posted.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

Because now I am Lost.