[Find a Geocache] doesn't work for archived caches

frisbee'r

I just noticed when invoking the [Play] then {Find a Geocache} page, when entering an archived cache GC#, the cache page doesn't materialize. What does appear is the next closest ACTIVE cache. When I go into the [take me into the old search], it works fine. I've tried to cut-n-paste and enter the characters but to no avail. All ACTIVE caches entered into the field work perfectely. Is Groundspeak de-emphasizing or not including archived caches into the new search engine. I have tried not only my Windows 7 desktop but also my Samsung phone going directly into Geocaching.com so it has nothing to do with platforms.

There may be some kind of option or switch on my Geocaching account that is insulating this ability. Geez .... I'm out of ideas.

I just noticed when invoking the [Play] then {Find a Geocache} page, when entering an archived cache GC#, the cache page doesn't materialize. [...]

There must be more on this. I tried searching an archived cache and it does show up. [GC77]

Hans

I see the same as frisbee'r, and it also fails to find GC77.

It worked for me. Enter GC77 in the search box. Select View GC77 and it goes directly to the cache listing.

Even this didn't work, considering we still can't download results in bulk (via a PQ or other, and that it's not fully integrated into the maps, I'd put the the ability to be able to search for archived cache way down on the list of priorities.

The nature of archived caches is to NOT show up on lists and maps (Exceptions appear: Bookmark lists, MyFinds PQ).

If you're searching for archived caches, you'll have to search on spot (ie: using the code of the archived cache and call the cache directly).

Hans

The nature of archived caches is to NOT show up on lists and maps (Exceptions appear: Bookmark lists, MyFinds PQ).

If you're searching for archived caches, you'll have to search on spot (ie: using the code of the archived cache and call the cache directly).

Hans

Or, using project-gc.com, which does not require GC code and can do a map search/display of archive caches in an area.

====================================================

I see the problem. When I enter the archived cache GC187 for example, I bypassed the double drop down box below and clicked on the green magnifying glass. The default is the 10 mile radius or first option. Seeing that ACTIVE cache appear, I back arrowed and repainted the screen which still has GC187 in the box. Now, when you click .... the double drop down box doesn't reappear or refresh. So the closest ACTIVE cache within 10 miles reappears. It felt like the function was broken. Maybe the options should be switched because why would you want to know the closest if the purpose is to view the archived cache. So ...... that's it folks. Back to Reading 101. Thanks much for participating.

[...] and can do a map search/display of archive caches in an area.

Please give a supporting link. I doubt Project-GC will map archived caches (with the exception of bookmark lists and your finds, as mentioned before).

Hans

Edited by HHL
[...] and can do a map search/display of archive caches in an area.

Please give a supporting link. I doubt Project-GC will map archived caches (with the exception of bookmark lists and your finds, as mentioned before).

Hans

I have used Project PC several times to see archived caches. Here is a video on how to do it.

Also if you have the GC number the simplest way to get the page is a google/bing etc search.

[...]

I have used Project PC several times to see archived caches. Here is a video on how to do it.

Also if you have the GC number the simplest way to get the page is a google/bing etc search.

Yes, I know how to find an archived cache. The OP wants to see the archived cache in lists and on maps. And that definitly does not work.

Hans

The OP wants to see the archived cache in lists and on maps. And that definitly does not work.

Hans

The OP was running into issues looking up an archived cache by GC code in the new search form, and they've since been shown how to do that. Nowhere in this discussion have they asked how to have archived caches show up in lists or on a map.

[...]

Yes, I know how to find an archived cache. The OP wants to see the archived cache in lists and on maps. And that definitly does not work.

Hans

When I do it I set it to map and they show up on the Project GC map. Haven't done it in some time.

[...]

Hans

I don't know exactly where you went askew from the previous video but when I follow it I say it definitely does work and here is the result. A nice map with a complete list of caches below. All of these are archived for my county. It even differentiates ones I have found and not.

It does require a premium membership from the site. If you don't have that you can't do custom filters.

It can then be made into a GPX file and sent.

Map of Archived Caches with list

Edited by Walts Hunting

[...]

It does require a premium membership from the site. If you don't have that you can't do custom filters.

[...]

Interesting. But I was assuming that the thread deals with Groundspeak's features - not with the premium membership features of other sites.

Hans

Edited by HHL

He said he wanted to do something that is impossible on GS so alternatives have to be considered. I don't recall any res

trictions on solutions.

This forum section is "Bug Reports and Feature Discussions/Website" and I guess I just assumed that "Website" means the geocaching.com web site and that "Feature Discussions" means discussing changes that could/should be made to the web site so that something *is* possible.