Toughest cache in NJ? A Challenge.

briansnat

This is probably the least popular cache of all the ones I've placed. I never understood why, as it's in a populated area with other nearby caches that are found frequently.

I went there today for a maint trip and I have to say my own cache kicked my butt. After nearly two hours of slogging through water, looking for crossings, backtracking and building makeshift bridges, only to reach a dead end, I gave up having gotten no closer than .25 mile from the cache. I ran out of time and had to head back home to make dinner for the family. But it got me to thinking that this may be one of the more difficult cache hunts in the state under the current conditons.

I don't mean to promote my own cache (well maybe I do because this one's been so lonely), but I'm offering an extra prize* to anyone who logs this cache by this Sunday, Oct 20th. Previous finders are welcome to log it again if they wish and I'm sure they will find conditions to be quite different from their last visit.

*-your choice of a Geocaching.com t-shirt, hat or travel bug 4 pack. Only 1 per account. So you don't forget, go before midnight tonight.

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

We've been watching this one for a while. We haven't gotten the nerve up yet to find it! icon_eek.gif

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=14755. This get's my vote has the toughest cache in NJ. icon_smile.gif

Thats been on my "todo" list as well, but I must admit to being more then a bit scared to tackle it alone after my experiences at Marty's other "triple M" cache.

Illegitimus non carborundum!

Mopar, I've already twisted Team Tresca's arm into joining us on this one, perhaps we can get together a try this one together.

Of course, I bet those containers have floated out into Raritan Bay already, but I'm sure it will be a blast. icon_smile.gif

I did contact Marty about 2 weeks ago, and he was pretty confident that the containers are still there

I scored your damned cache, Brian. I fell to my knees twice while crossing streams and the contents of my wallet are now drying on my ironing board. Luckily, my GPS and digital camera both survived.

The male ego is a terrible thing. I should have listened to that voice telling me "Hey Stupid, the guy who set this and knows the best way in couldn't make it. Go log a virtual". I'm planning to go after the Cheesequake cache to answer the question, but I'm hoping it's easier.

I'd like the Travel Bug pack icon_wink.gif

No offense, but I think it incredibly foolish that people would even think of attempting "Melvin's" without having first successfully accomplished several of the easier caches of this variety ... which include, in (my opinion of their) order of increasing difficulty, "Revenge on the King," "A Walk in the Park," "Whitetail Retreat," "Steamboat Landing," "You Stink," and "Muskrats, Mosquitos & Muck." (And "Muskrats" is still at least twice as difficult as the next most challenging hike on that list.)

Three or four feet of standing water is no big deal to traverse ... if one is properly prepared with chest waders and a good walking stick. Thick, gooey muck three feet deep where there's nothing to grab onto is a challenge of a different magnitude. Ask Mopar.

Sometimes I think people are hoping to become geocaching statistics.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 19, 2002 at 01:00 PM.]

quote:
in (my opinion of their) order of increasing difficulty, "Revenge on the King," "A Walk in the Park," "Whitetail Retreat," "Steamboat Landing," "You Stink," and "Muskrats, Mosquitos & Muck." (And "Muskrats" is still at least twice as difficult as the next most challenging hike on that list.)

I haven't done the other ones, but I'm certain A Walk in the Park would be a bit higher on the list under the current conditions. There are some thick gooey, mucky sections and you can't tell where they are now.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

Mopar, I've already twisted Team Tresca's arm into joining us on this one, perhaps we can get together a try this one together.

Of course, I bet those containers have floated out into Raritan Bay already, but I'm sure it will be a blast. icon_smile.gif

I did contact Marty about 2 weeks ago, and he was pretty confident that the containers are still there

I could be up for that! If I know Marty's caches (and I do!) I'm fairly sure they are still there too.

Now, I tried at least once before to twist BP's arm to take a shot at this one, can he be convinced yet?

dadgum, and we are on a full moon now too (lower low tide then normal) guess gotta check how the tides are running for the next new moon.

quote:
Originally posted by BassoonPilot:

No offense, but I think it incredibly foolish that people would even think of attempting "Melvin's" without having first successfully accomplished several of the easier caches of this variety ... which include, in (my opinion of their) order of increasing difficulty, "Revenge on the King," "A Walk in the Park," "Whitetail Retreat," "Steamboat Landing," "You Stink," and "Muskrats, Mosquitos & Muck." (And "Muskrats" is still at least twice as difficult as the next most challenging hike on that list.)

Three or four feet of standing water is no big deal to traverse ... if one is properly prepared with chest waders and a good walking stick. Thick, gooey muck three feet deep where there's nothing to grab onto is a challenge of a different magnitude. Ask Mopar.

Sometimes I think people are hoping to become geocaching statistics.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 19, 2002 at 01:00 PM.]

I agree Mark, and thats a major reason *I* havent tackled Melvin's yet myself. I have a very good idea whats involved, and I refuse to attempt Melvin without someone else who knows what they are getting into as well. Care to join us? icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Now, I tried at least once before to twist BP's arm to take a shot at this one, can he be convinced yet?

The way I remember it Chris, I expressed interest in doing this cache back in the early spring. We exchanged a couple of e-mails about various caches, including "Mosquitos, Muck" and "Melvin's," and at that time you suggested the water temperature was still uncomfortably cold to make use of your personal watercraft ... very shortly thereafter you needed to walk away from geocaching for several months.

I agree that it appears a solo attempt on this cache ("Melvin's Multiple Madness") would be foolish. The fact that Marty has never revisited the elements to confirm they remain intact should give newly interested people clear indication that this isn't just "a walk in the park." (Sorry, Brian.) icon_wink.gif

quote:

I refuse to attempt Melvin without someone else who knows what they are getting into as well. Care to join us?

That was the purpose behind my original post to this thread; while I have a high regard for and confidence in your ability to handle the challenges this cache would likely present, (in part because you have successfully accomplished similar caches), I am genuinely concerned that a couple of the people who have posted to this thread don't have a clue of the challenges involved and will attempt the cache solo and ill-prepared, potentially ending up in a serious predicament.

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 20, 2002 at 07:50 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

Odd. I don't recall Steamboat Landing as being difficult at all. Has something changed about that location?

You are correct, 'floopy. Steamboat was a piece of cake. Of course, if BP came down that dirt road near "Night Vision", that leads to the actual old steamboat docks, I can see why its further up on his list then "Revenge on the King". icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

I might add Everglades to the list but I think it would be the easiest of the lot, requiring only about 50 feet of watery crossing.

Hmph, not when I went. I decided to try it the day after heavy rains. What was I to know? I was up to my knees for more than 50 feet.

There's a lot of new construction in the area. If a seeker is willing to spend time finding the ideal parking, I suspect the approach is a lot easier now.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

quote:

Odd. I don't recall Steamboat Landing as being difficult at all. Has something changed about that location?

Yeah, you're right, "Steamboat Landing" doesn't belong on the list. The old memory is getting foggy.

Any cache can be a bear right after a heavy rain ... "Whitetail Hill," for example would also be really easy during a dry spell but was marginally accessible during the wet period I visited. "You Stink" could also be much easier/harder depending on the (recent) weather.

"Everglades" was a fun cache, but a misstep would only result in wet feet ... I suspect that after a good rain, the walk in along the dirt road by the power lines would present more of a challenge than the actual crossing to the cache.

I also left Mopar's nemesis "The Teddy Roosevelt" off the list, but I'll add it for anyone who promises to follow his track. icon_smile.gif

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 21, 2002 at 04:20 AM.]

I think GeoGuru has quit geocaching because his three "needle-in-the-haystack" caches weren't well received.

I found one of them (Rocky Mtn. Micro Challenge)

easily, the second one (Monroe Ridge Micro Challenge) gave me a devil of a time before I finally found it months after my initial visit, and I opted not to go for Buck Mountain ... although the cache is temporarily archived, knowing how well he hid these things, it's probably still there ... give it a shot, Brian ... it could be the hardest cache (to find) in NJ! (Harder to find than "Alluvial Material?" ... I don't know; give them a shot, Brian!)

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 21, 2002 at 04:46 AM.]

I thought AWITP would be one of the hardest caches to get to under the current, very wet conditions (unless someone put in a canoe, or raft upstream). It certainly isn't the hardest to find, as it is plainly visible, hanging from the tree.

I never attempted Geoguru's micros specifically because of the "needle in the haystack aspect". Anybody can make a cache that is almost impossible to find by placing a micro out in the woods. Personally, I'll go through anything to get to a cache, but I really don't want to spend 3 hours searching for it once I get there.

Anyway, it looks like Toast was the only one who found AWITP by the deadline, so a Travel Bug 4 pack will be one the way shortly. Bldebabe gave it a shot, but spent too much time looking for a place to park and abandoned her search.

"Men don't stop playing because they get old, they get old because they stop playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes

I'd like to try this by boat, but would probably use a short canoe or kayak. You'll need a lot of mobility and may need to portage over the high spots. Also, I think at that point upstream is actually to the South and the nearest entry is Eagle Rock Rd.

Since I didn't describe the trip earlier, here goes. I think I waded through about a half mile of waist-deep water, though most was by choice. I made it as far as Brian did (about .22 away) before I could not find any dry path. From that point and all the way out, I chose more water routes cause I thought it was easier than trying to navigate the "temporary" bridges. I slipped on a couple of banks but was able to contain my fall much easier than had I slipped off one of those fallen trees.

On the way out I first tried for Bloomfield Ave, but was cut off by deeper water. I followed the edge, usually walking in about 1 ft. of water until that eventually pointed me right back to the route I took in. I finished the last quarter mile on a bulldozed ATV path.

I hope this helps prepare anyone else who may want to attempt it in its current state.

Toast, if you want a repeat of your A Walk In The Park adventure, give my Bottom Of Lake Passaic III a try. I don't think you'll encounter waist deep water, but you'll have a lot of fun crossing all the streams!

Is that the one that has the Where's George stamps? We have a few George fanatics in my office who would love one.

I think I'm headed for LP2 during lunch this week. It might be a stretch, but I know right where to start after scoring Longnecker last week.

We're moving next week and I've taken off all 5 days so I'm hoping to squeeze some caching in.

The WG stamps are gone from the BOLP III cache. I have several more. I'll put one in one of my caches and leave a note.

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on October 21, 2002 at 08:01 PM.]

If this is the hardest cache in NJ then Haza I found IT! It is hidden very well but description and cordinates are dead on. This is a great cache!

One question, how many finds concider you an expert geocacher? I thought it wasnt as hard as the magster's mystery 3 when it was there.

Word!

quote:

I think GeoGuru has quit geocaching because his three "needle-in-the-haystack" caches weren't well received.

I found one of them (Rocky Mtn. Micro Challenge)

easily, the second one (Monroe Ridge Micro Challenge) gave me a devil of a time before I finally found it months after my initial visit, and I opted not to go for Buck Mountain ... although the cache is temporarily archived, knowing how well he hid these things, it's probably still there ... give it a shot, Brian ... it _could_ be the hardest cache (to find) in NJ! (Harder to find than "Alluvial Material?" ... I don't know; give them a shot, Brian!)

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on October 21, 2002 at 04:46 AM.]

Naw, haven't quit yet BassoonPilot. Just have been busy. Just put a new one out today. Another needle in the haystack that is a multi stage cache, well worth the effort even if it is not found as the views are terrific.

quote:
Originally posted by GeoGuru:

Naw, haven't quit yet BassoonPilot. Just have been busy. Just put a new one out today. Another needle in the haystack that is a multi stage cache, well worth the effort even if it is not found as the views are terrific.

Hey, in this case, I'm happy to be wrong GeoGuru!

Much has changed since that post you quoted ... as you know, I decided to go after your Buck Mtn. cache and snagged it.

Hope to get to your new cache before too long!

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by GeoGuru:

Hey, in this case, I'm happy to be wrong GeoGuru!

Much has changed since that post you quoted ... as you know, I decided to go after your Buck Mtn. cache and snagged it.

Hope to get to your new cache before too long!

Good luck BassoonPilot.

GeoGuru

Geez, I am so honored, everyone talking about my cache. For the record I visited it today and all the containers are fine. I did the check alone. Its really not that bad, but being an old duck hunter, I happen to like swamps. I would love for some of you to give it a shot. I didn't even get wet doing it. I think my calfs may be sore tommorrow however from doing all that walking in hip boots. It was never my intention to create a cache so hard that no one would attempt it, I want it to be visited. If anyone has questions about it, just email me, I'll give you all the help you need.

BTW , when I placed Steamboat Landing, I was disappointed that it turned out as easy as it did. I thought the terrain might make it harder, but the terrain was basically featureless, so i placed the cache anyway.

Again, a team approach to Melvin's with cell phones or FRS radios would be an interesting trip for all. Now, who's gonna be the first to get it

quote:
Originally posted by marty621:

Geez, I am so honored, everyone talking about my cache. For the record I visited it today and all the containers are fine. I did the check alone. Its really not that bad, but being an old duck hunter, I happen to like swamps. I would love for some of you to give it a shot. I didn't even get wet doing it. I think my calfs may be sore tommorrow however from doing all that walking in hip boots. It was never my intention to create a cache so hard that no one would attempt it, I want it to be visited. If anyone has questions about it, just email me, I'll give you all the help you need.

BTW , when I placed Steamboat Landing, I was disappointed that it turned out as easy as it did. I thought the terrain might make it harder, but the terrain was basically featureless, so i placed the cache anyway.

Again, a team approach to Melvin's with cell phones or FRS radios would be an interesting trip for all. Now, who's gonna be the first to get it

My offer still stands. I'll tackle it with another EXPERIENCED cacher. Right now, weekdays are better for me then weekends.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

OK offer deux. Bag either the BOLP III, or AWITP between now and 12/15, I will send you your choice of a Geocaching.com hat, two Geocaching.com hat pins, or a travel bug four pack. One of each is available, so first come, first serve. Previous finders are welcome to try again.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

OK offer deux. Bag either the http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=24963, or http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=20291 between now and 12/15......

The guantlet was throw down. How could I resist. The question is which one to do, ahh well....I did them both icon_razz.gif Mother Nature (God bless her soul) helped out quite a bit as the ground was fairly firm for both hunts. Many water crossings were covered with enough ice to simply cross (a few had to waded). Time to rest these weary dogs though.... Going to log my visits now.

Great job Mr. Magoo! AWITP, I'm sure isn't as difficult as it was when etoast66 found it, and BOLP III didn't have the overgrowth that makes it an adventure in the summer, but they are both great hunts. Thanks for securing my AWITP cache with the cable. It saves me the trip and I appreciate it.

Let me know if you want the hat, the pins, or travel bug 4 pak.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:
Originally posted by mr.magoo:

quote:

I'll tackle it with another EXPERIENCED cacher.

well that eliminates me icon_biggrin.gif Whew!

No, it doesn't! Hell, you've racked up more caches in the last month then I have in a year. PLUS you are one of the few to log my "Revenge" cache, so I think you probably have an idea what your in for. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing "MMM" is like revenge on the king on steroids. When you want to go? icon_smile.gif

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

I have yet to do any of the Cheesequake cache's so I would defiantely be interested in a day trip to the area to bag some. The real question is when. Have a boy scout outing this coming weekend, then the next few weeks will be busy with the Holidays. How does Jan. look for you? Any others looking to do some Cheesequake caches?

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Great job Mr. Magoo! AWITP, I'm sure isn't as difficult as it was when etoast66 found it, and BOLP III didn't have the overgrowth that makes it an adventure in the summer, but they are both great hunts. Thanks for securing my AWITP cache with the cable. It saves me the trip and I appreciate it.

Let me know if you want the hat, the pins, or travel bug 4 pak.

_"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm_

You are most generous Good Sir. I will decline your offer though as I have 3 Bugs still inactive in my drawer at home and a load of pins I bought to put in my soon to be hidden caches. Also have my favorite caching hat already too (an old beat up hat Ive had for years, love that hat).

I must say, I enjoy the hunt and being outdoors. Thats reward enough for me. Perhaps you'll keep the challenge posted until 12/15?? Maybe someone else will go to visit these caches. Take it from me folks, it wont get much easier then now [icon_biggrin.gif].

quote:
Originally posted by mr.magoo:

I have yet to do any of the Cheesequake cache's so I would defiantely be interested in a day trip to the area to bag some. The real question is when. Have a boy scout outing this coming weekend, then the next few weeks will be busy with the Holidays. How does Jan. look for you? Any others looking to do some Cheesequake caches?

Jan looks pretty cold from here icon_smile.gif Other then that, sounds good to me.