Urban caches in NJ

azog

Ok, so I know the topic has come up plenty of times, but usually in the General forum, so don't Markwell me. I'm asking specifically about urban caches in NJ, and what are people's general attitude towards them? Would you hunt them?

When I speak of "urban", I'm talking about high traffic city-like areas, which are generally safe during the day, but you don't really want to be there at night.

I've only hidden two (traditional) caches, which haven't exactly been the proverbial mouse-trap (they'll beat a path to it), and am a little iffy at this stage in my hiding-career.

----------

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, lest you be also be like him.

i placed an urban cache in a town in bergen county... it is in a high traffic area but is safe both day and night. some people have hunted it, i thought it what i did was pretty cool... check it out web page... its not quite urban (eg newark) but it is in the center of a nice town that has a busy main street and the cache location is in a high traffic area depending upon the time of day. obviously late at night, not to many people are around but the cops might spy you.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

I prefer a nice hike in the woods, to a cache hunt in some Hoboken parking lot.

NJ doesn't need more urban caches. There are PLENTY of them. What we need are more people willing to go for a walk and hide a cache in the woods.

Heck, my most popular cache is the Vile Vial in Verona Park. It's also probably the least interesting one I've ever placed.

On the other hand, the best cache I ever placed (IMHO) was my BOLP III. It's going on over 100 days since its last find. Every person who found it seemed to enjoy it, so what's the problem with it? Oh, I know, it takes a little effort. Jersey Geocachers (outside of a certain few) are nothing but wusses (is that a word?).

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 22, 2002 at 06:42 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

This being said, I prefer a nice hike in the woods, to a cache hunt in some Hoboken parking lot.

There are parking lots in Hoboken??

quote:

NJ doesn't need more urban caches. There are PLENTY of them.

That's why I archived mine.

quote:

Heck, my most popular cache is the Vile Vial in Verona Park. It's also probably the least interesting one I've ever placed.

No, no; the least interesting one you've placed is ... icon_wink.gif

quote:

On the other hand, the best cache I ever placed (IMHO) was my BOLP III. ... Every person who found it seemed to enjoy it, so what's the problem with it? Oh, I know, it takes a little effort. Jersey Geocachers (outside of a certain few) are nothing but wusses (is that a word?).

Now I'll be up all night trying to figure out if I'm one of Brian's wussies. icon_razz.gif

it seems to me that urban cache mostly means a cache placed in a city, but in a park within the city. my idea was to place an urban cache right within the urban setting which presents its own special challange (namely hiding spot, ability to get it without giving its spot away and etc). i like a nice walk in the woods too, some folks are just trying to enlarge the set of experiences available.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by SR & dboggny:

it seems to me that urban cache mostly means a cache placed in a city, but in a park within the city. my idea was to place an urban cache right within the urban setting which presents its own special challange (namely hiding spot, ability to get it without giving its spot away and etc).

Yeah, I liked yours, because it was the first of its kind in this area. Your "Lesser Known Historical Sites" series was also enjoyable.

I like urban caches because potentially they draw people into areas they might otherwise avoid ... like old inner city areas. Two of my urban caches were pretty successful, but the one that gave a short history tour of downtown Paterson (that ended in front of the Paterson Museum, in case anyone had been interested in learning more) was a dismal failure, despite the fact that there were a dozen or more traditional caches within 10 miles. Such is life.

I'm sure I'm one of Brian's "wusses", but considering the past 6 months having to sneak in caching between my wife's bouts of illness, and the rest of the time having andy tag along, I think that can be forgiven. I agree with what marc said too, I'm likely going to close down some of my simpler caches. I'm really keen to hide a really tough, dangerous, killer cache. Where to place it though?

alt.gif

www.gpswnj.com

quote:
I guess I too am a BrianSnat wuss because I refuse to partake in his swampy caches.

I don't think anybody with almost 1,200 finds can be considered a wuss, but I think you have the wrong picture. Because a cache is in a swamp, doesn't mean you're wading through knee deep water (outside my A Walk In The Park right about now). In fact, most have easy, dry walks in, and some just take some thought to get around the wet areas. I believe you already found some of my swamp caches. I see your logs on BOLP I and Swamp Thing.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

quote:

In fact, most have easy, dry walks in, and some just take some thought to get around the wet areas. I believe you already found some of my swamp caches. I see your logs on BOLP I and Swamp Thing.

I don't think BOLP I and Swamp Thing are in the same league as the others. I will have to revisit BOLP II at least. The trail going underwater may only be a seasonal thing.

Patuxent Ponds in MD, now that's a water crossing I could do, even if there was a tense moment in the middle of it.

quote:
Originally posted by Gwho:

I'm really keen to hide a really tough, dangerous, killer cache. Where to place it though?

Remind me again how many people completed your (now archived) "Lord of the Ring" and "Mission Impossible" series, not to mention the (archived or current versions of) "Allison Park/Riviera Nightclub" and (the currently temporarily disabled) "150 Years of Docks." icon_wink.gif

Me being just a rookie and starting out a month ago, I got to say I like the adventure of the hunt. Went out to Mopar's Revenge on the King in that particular swamp. On the way visited Teddy Roosevelt (unsuccessful in finding the cache). I really enjoyed those hunts. Im over near Somerville so I havent worked my way East to some of the swampier ones, but hopefully will soon. Now seems to be the time to visit these places and the vegitation is less and there dont seem to be the biting insects you would normally get in the summer.

I would say that I prefer hunts were you are more out of the way. Rather than .14 from the parkling lot and then 30 feet off the trail, I would rather seem them .5 - 1.5 miles in the middle of nowhere, but thats me. Enjoy them all though. Been a month since I started this hobby so I should probably put some caches [icon_biggrin.gif]

quote:

speaking of my urban cache, just a cache, it is now gone... went to look for it yesterday and it was not there nor was there any evidence of it at all. icon_frown.gif

I learned that sad fact in another thread ... sorry to learn of your cache's fate, but thanks for having placed it.

Unfortunately, this is one of the downsides of cache ownership we all eventually encounter; don't let it discourage you.

quote:

by the way, pilot, i know this is off topic but whats good at the met this season?

Everything is good at the Met. icon_smile.gif Coming up in December are the always popular "Il Travatore" and "Die Fledermaus."

January highlights include "Carmen," "Don Giovanni," and "Aida." Warhorses, yes, but gems none-the-less.

"La Boheme" will be staged in February, I think ... that should be interesting because the Broadway production (that is starting previews and will open very soon), if all goes as expected, should be drawing sellout crowds during that period. The Broadway version is true Puccini; it's not "rockified," but it has been paced to run 2 1/2 hours with only one intermission ... it should be exciting to compare the two. (And their audiences.)

[This message was edited by BassoonPilot on November 28, 2002 at 06:49 AM.]

quote:
I prefer a nice hike in the woods, to a cache hunt in some Hoboken parking lot.
Hear, hear. Team Og is in it to be outdoors and hike around and find new places.

Last weekend I had the thrill of snagging (or, more accurately, failing to snag) a micro off a traffic-infested bridge after thirty minutes of Diesel smoke, poison ivy, and dog attacks. icon_mad.gif So finding this is timely.

I wish the caches were rated for scenic value and exercise, in addition to difficulty and terrain!

- Team Og Rof A Klaw

All who wander are not lost.

quote:

On the other hand, the best cache I ever placed (IMHO) was my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=24963. It's going on over 100 days since its last find. Every person who found it seemed to enjoy it, so what's the problem with it?

Last find was June 29th so it's just coming up on 60 days. icon_wink.gif

Is there any value to doing the Bottom Of Lake Passaic caches in order? Just wondering. They look a little tough to do with the kids... I'll need to head out on my own for them, or at least #3.

David

quote:
Originally posted by DavidL:

quote:

On the other hand, the best cache I ever placed (IMHO) was my http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=24963. It's going on over 100 days since its last find. Every person who found it seemed to enjoy it, so what's the problem with it?

Last find was June 29th so it's just coming up on 60 days. icon_wink.gif

Well, that statement was accurate when he wrote it back on November 21, 2002. icon_wink.gif

"(Mopar is) good to have around and kick. Like an ugly puppy" - Jeremy

All can be done with kids. #1 and #2 are the easiest, since the walk is a short one. #3 would be difficult for small children. The three are at the top of my maint list and I have run out there planned for next week.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

As someone who took the kids along (4 & 7 at the time) on the first attempt at "A Walk In The Park"..... I've since read the cache descriptions BEFORE heading out and everyone else in the family seems to enjoy the "woodsy hiking" caches better than the swamp caches.

I've done both (and have the stinky smelly noxious toxic-waste slathered hiking boots to prove it!), but there's so many nice hikes in the woods with nice views and dry paths....I'd be hard pressed to bring the family along to a swamp cache.

As Brian's said already though - some (and I'd note only SOME) of the caches in swamps can be reached via dry land - if you find the right approach). Some just entail a slog through muck.

Good luck!

- Hart

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Originally posted by StayFloopy:

Or wait for a deep freeze in the middle of winter.

Yup, although I can speak from experience when I say that waders with snowshoes works like a champ traversing those partially frozen swamps (provided the snowshoes stay attached!).

Plus, I learned by GPS can spend the night in a frozen snowy swamp and still works when retrieved the next day.

Farmers's almanac supposedly says we're in for a super snowy winter!

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)