Agenda Literature Placed in Caches by Finders

As a practicing Pastafarian, I pretty much ignore most swag or religious / agenda driven literature unless it's spaghetti related. Not much offends me. I mean, I'd love to trade a small colander for a pasta fork, but it's getting harder and harder to find caches large enough to hold items like that. I have left some of my favorite pasta recipe cards from time to time though, in a feeble attempt to convert some over to the carbohydrate-side.

Sometimes I wonder how the game would have turned out had Dave Ulmer stuck a can of spaghetti ohs in the Original Stash, instead of a can of black-eyes peas... :blink:

But it's hard to ignore when I'm knee deep in it.
Wow. Knee deep? That's a LOT of paper...

After more than 2,000 finds, I think I've only encountered something religious or political a dozen times, at most. And I can only think of two times when it was something really bad. One was a pretty mean-spirited pamphlet about sexuality, and the other was a more generic fire-and-brimstone rambling thing. In both cases I traded for them, and then discarded them. The others were things that were pretty tame, like a button for a candidate in a past election (I actually traded for that because I collect political buttons), a coin with the Ten Commandments, and a coaster or tile with that Footprints story on it. Nothing worth a big fuss.

I think it's common for new people to feel like they are brimming with great ideas that nobody's thought of before, but it is a little tedious for forum old-timers and regulars to rehash all of these ancient topics that have been beaten to dust in the past.

You are absolutely right. Topics that are old to you are not old to someone new to the game. So, why do you bother to come here at all anymore, if it is that tedious rehashing ancient topics?

It's tough to get some geocachers to understand that the best way to improve things is through their own habits, rather than by trying to control strangers.

Sounds like you're trying to control strangers, too.

Oh, knowschad...you amuse me sometimes. It's like you disagree for the sake of disagreeing, even though you know the person is right. Keep on, buddy! :)

All in all, this is a pointless thread...amusing, but pointless. The "new" OP here can result ignore what he doesn't like, yet he has to make another federal case about it, calling for sweeping changes. You can't but quality entertainment like this! :D

6,500+ finds and I might have experienced what he's whining about a dozen times...

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I'm not saying "allowing it just because you don't see it that much in your area".

I'm saying rules won't help, and to remove the stuff if it bothers you.

My counter agenda card is a method that works within the rules. It is identical in value to any agenda literature item in that it posits the seed of evangelism. I even ask others to print more! It's a perfect mirror to other agenda literature, and while admittedly farcical, it clearly raises awareness in our local communities that some of us frown on agenda literature placed in caches.

How are people supposed to "get the hint" if you are trading AFTER they have been to the cache? Are you writing to them? Calling them out at events? Outing them in forum posts?

Nobody wants to see junk in caches, but we can't even agree on what junk is. Launching a crusade to enforce your swag standards is a recipe for drama. It's not that important.

Please see my response to Isonzo Karst below.

If enough players even-swapped with counter-agenda cards where it is a problem the spammers might get the hint.

Sorry, no, it won't have any impact on cache content, other than to add your agenda paper.

It won't help because of high player turnover in the game. People leaving tracts, political, religious, commercial - they're invariably short term.

They're not reading anything that's already in a cache they find, ie your card. They'll never read it. They're not going to return to the caches where you've traded out their stuff, and if they did, and saw their tracts gone, they'd be encouraged, not discouraged, someone took them! huzzah, a reader.

Evangelism comes in many flavors. For every person trying to save the world in one direction there is someone trying to save the world in the equal and opposite direction. I guarantee you that there is someone in my area who, once every month or two months goes through each cache in his or her area and repopulates those caches with more agenda literature. This card is merely attempting to fulfill the other part of the equation by providing a mirror and balance to more goal-oriented agenda literature.

You need to search on the term "sweet potato tract" in order to see the right threads. I only recall one thread where someone was "asking permission to place their specific agenda-based materials." And that one was satirical. Please report back to explain the relevance of that search term and to identify its primary advocate.

As for religious materials, they are close to the only thing I would ever trade for at a geocache. After 6000+ cache hunts, trade goods don't interest me anymore. Religious items are an exception, as along the way in my geocaching adventures, I found God through geocaching. Since then I've not been able to trade up or trade even!

One pamphlet or tract is an interesting trade item for me, so long as it isn't wet or damaged. Wet or damaged trade items can be trashed out.

One pamphlet or tract is not "spam" to me. Ten or twenty would constitute spam. If they are preventing the container from sealing, or precluding easy access to the logbook, I'd remove most of them.

Please don't take my favorite type of trade item and replace it with that silly card. I do not perceive it to be of equal value.

I saw the sweet potato thread. To me, the agenda is not "Counter" enough to other agenda literature. My cards are game-abiding and counter to all other agendas, raising awareness that all agenda-literature - even mine - is spam - but it's allowed. So why not swap other agenda literature for mine and trash the competing agenda literature. Long live the Counter Agenda Card.

I find political, religious, commercial stuff all the time, which doesn't bother me, but finding things like cigarettes, empty chip bags, empty beer cans, condoms, candy, and what not, really gets me pi**ed off.

So far, I found a bullet, some pills, and I think a ceramic crack pipe, but it was really small. It was also kind of pretty. I can't be sure, since I am not a crack smoker. It was obviously used to smoke something though. I chucked that thing right in the woods.

Yeah, I see no material difference between this and other literature. It's just another nuisance scrap of paper in a cache.
Precisely! Then we do agree that all agenda literature is a nuisance. Counter agenda as a swap is an appalling idea. I hate it. But if all I see in local small urban caches is agenda literature, and game rules suggest that I have no option but to leave them in or swap them even or up, I'm apt to defend myself from their absurdity with a counter absurdity. It brings the issue to light wherever these cards are deposited.

If the rules can't be changed, then for people who live in areas where agenda lit is rife, this provides a game-abiding clear method that at once counters agenda literature, protests all agenda literature in general, alerts others who are caching that agenda-literature is a problem and promotes the proliferation of counter agenda cards to swap in the place of other agenda literature. If it doesn't affect your area, you won't care. If it does affect your area, you might care just enough to print out and distribute counter agenda cards. If it doesn't take off, then I'm the only one whining and we can all laugh about it in a year or two. If it takes off, maybe geocaching.com would review the concept of agenda literature as spam and ban gamers from using it as swaps or drops. Even my counter agenda card.

The funny thing is, he believes his own hype. Those female undergarments of his must be bunched to critical mass by now...

All this to do about something that can be ignored. LOL

Have you considered taking your own advice? From what I've seen you can't seem to ignore any thing LoW has posted, but rather than discussing the merits of the issue you've attacked him again and again based on the fact that he doesn't have years of experience and thousands of finds.

The funny thing is, he believes his own hype. Those female undergarments of his must be bunched to critical mass by now...

Have you considered taking your own advice? From what I've seen you can't seem to ignore any thing LoW has posted, but rather than discussing the merits of the issue you've attacked him again and again based on the fact that he doesn't have years of experience and thousands of finds.

I attack his position because it's ludicrous to expect people to do what he asks.

I attack his position because it's frankly a non-issue.

I attack his position because be seems to think that because he dislikes something, the game should be bent to his whims.

I attack his position because he basically equates true agenda caches with mostly benign swag.

I attack his position because instead of simply ignoring what he finds and moving on to the next cache, he creates stupid threads like this.

Finally, yes, I attack him because a guy with very little experience who wants to change the game is not to be taken seriously.

Need I go on?

This is the kind of thread that I would not want new folks to the game to find. It's confusing, and longwinded, and shows that everyone tries to control people and their behaviour in one way or another.

What I've seen is making a confused muddle of the differences between swag, sig items and what some people would consider trash.

Because the OP has me on his ignore list, he won't see this reply. But I hope that other folks who will take the time to do forum searches to get to know about the hobby and about this forum community will read some of the links I've posted here:

Religious Material in GeoCaches

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=322907

What should be removed from a cache?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=322168

What are good items to leave in a Cache?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=321111

Examples of Good Swag

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=324135

How could i make a signature item?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=331082

What is your signature item?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=320051

The idea of an anti-agenda card is hilarious. It will just add to the problem of adding paper to a cache that will more than likely end up as a mushy, moldy blob of goo.

I know that some folks don't like the idea that experience will answer a lot of questions, but that's the way it is in most things in life.

Geocaching should be a simple thing. But when humans get involved, it gets complicated in a lot of ways.

The other thing to keep in mind is the fact that lots and lots and lots of non-cachers find these things. It's a cute notion that "no one goes here except to look for the cache", but that is simply not true.

So if what you find in caches is offensive to you, keep in mind that it's not necessarily other cachers that placed those things or tracts there.

Keep calm, always take disposable gloves with you, and garbage bags, and dispose of things that you think you should. There's no need to announce your actions in the log or on the forum.

Clean things up as best you can and move on. No accolades needed, no denouncements either.

B.

It seems to be a trend. *see knowschad posting for no other reason other than to harp at narcissa....again*

:rolleyes:

B.

I attack his position because it's ludicrous to expect people to do what he asks.

I attack his position because be seems to think that because he dislikes something, the game should be bent to his whims.

I attack his position because he basically equates true agenda caches with mostly benign swag.

I attack his position because instead of simply ignoring what he finds and moving on to the next cache, he creates stupid threads like this.

Finally, yes, I attack him because a guy with very little experience who wants to change the game is not to be taken seriously.

Need I go on?

Please do. You seem bent on ATTACKING him because you don't like what he says instead of maybe...oh, I don't know...having a mature discussion or, as someone else stated, just following your own advice and ignoring it and, as you say, "moving on".

Need I go on?

Please do. You seem bent on ATTACKING him because you don't like what he says instead of maybe...oh, I don't know...having a mature discussion or, as someone else stated, just following your own advice and ignoring it and, as you say, "moving on".

No point, really. It's already been established that his ideas are ludicrous, so anything else said would be redundant...

It seems to be a trend. *see knowschad posting for no other reason other than to harp at narcissa....again*

B.

That still happens? Wow. Sheesh.

Now imagine you're a Jewish or Buddhist family on an outing, and every other cache has a pamphlet that tells you're kids they're going to hell, or that GPS really stands for "Gods Plan of Salvation." It's insulting. But it's not just religious materials. Someone seems to think we all need his air-conditioning repair services, too.

Well...there is one group that you can upset the most: muslims. :blink:

Its not against the law to placed agenda literature in USA... but in other countries, I am sure.

Since some of my girlfriend family are Buddhist, I won't like it if I take them to caches with "offended" literature.

Groundspeak call themselves a family friendly game, but few cachers out there don't want to make it family friendly with they strong opinions in religions(you can see them miles away at events). So GS is false adverting themselves as family friendly when they dont control those Jesus whackO.

I want geocaching to be family freiendly, so its my job to keep it that way and yours too.

I find political, religious, commercial stuff all the time, which doesn't bother me, but finding things like cigarettes, empty chip bags, empty beer cans, condoms, candy, and what not, really gets me pi**ed off.

So far, I found a bullet, some pills, and I think a ceramic crack pipe, but it was really small. It was also kind of pretty. I can't be sure, since I am not a crack smoker. It was obviously used to smoke something though. I chucked that thing right in the woods.

No further comment necessary.

If it takes off, maybe geocaching.com would review the concept of agenda literature as spam and ban gamers from using it as swaps or drops. Even my counter agenda card.

How would anybody enforce that? How could you possibly police the swag in geocaches in a useful way? Who is supposed to be responsible for that?

No further comment necessary.
But how about a new CITO agenda card?

8c701d54-9c83-4c42-8587-cfd17a4b6ef5.gif

Need I go on?

No point, really. It's already been established that his ideas are ludicrous, so anything else said would be redundant...

Dude....

Come on... Admit it...

You. Like. Me.

You're exhibiting all the signs of a bro-crush.

Well, I like you too.

Brother, why not join me in my counter agenda crusade?

What have you got to lose? Your dignity? What's that good for in a game?

If nothing else, it will be fun.

Chris

If it takes off, maybe geocaching.com would review the concept of agenda literature as spam and ban gamers from using it as swaps or drops. Even my counter agenda card.

How would anybody enforce that? How could you possibly police the swag in geocaches in a useful way? Who is supposed to be responsible for that?

Nobody is there to stop whackos from putting bullets or drugs in a cache. Most gamers police themselves. If the rules change to ban agenda lit, gamers will probably be glad for it.

This is good, but again, it is still not counter-agenda oriented. We're still hiding the problem instead of bringing it out in the open. It still avoids addressing the actual issue - spam in the cache. BC & MsKitty would agree that the counter agenda wording I'm suggesting would disallow the use of the CITO logo.

C

Nobody is there to stop whackos from putting bullets or drugs in a cache. Most gamers police themselves. If the rules change to ban agenda lit, gamers will probably be glad for it.

I see bullet casings in caches all the time. And fishhooks. And food.

This is good, but again, it is still not counter-agenda oriented.

It wasn't intended to be counter-agenda oriented. It was intended to be a response to what you wrote:

I chucked that thing right in the woods.

What is this???

Well, since english is not my mother language, some words tend to escape at first reading, so I had the need to read this twice, just to stop blinking of incredulity.

My friend, the geocaching community likes to have some nice motivational sentences, like "Cache In, Trash Out", meaning that we should grab all the trash we find in the way to our adventures, discarding it later on any available garbage bin... but the one I love the most is "Leave no trace, except your footprints", most of the time is related to Earthcaches, but may apply to all kind of caches.

So much morality...

Nobody wants to see junk in caches, but we can't even agree on what junk is. Launching a crusade to enforce your swag standards is a recipe for drama. It's not that important.

Basically this...

Yea, I reluctantly out loud agree with Narcissa on this one too. Related to the Op's original post, I always find it laughable that the most intolerant are those pretending to be the most tolerant. :blink:

What is this???

Well, since english is not my mother language, some words tend to escape at first reading, so I had the need to read this twice, just to stop blinking of incredulity.

My friend, the geocaching community likes to have some nice motivational sentences, like "Cache In, Trash Out", meaning that we should grab all the trash we find in the way to our adventures, discarding it later on any available garbage bin... but the one I love the most is "Leave no trace, except your footprints", most of the time is related to Earthcaches, but may apply to all kind of caches.

So much morality...

The "leave no trace" ethic pre-dates geocaching, considerably.

What is this???

So much morality...

You're right. It was a dumb thing to do. Apologies. I should have done better. It was a pretty gross cache in a sketchy area. I was a little freaked out. No excuses next time. Edited by LaughterOnWater

B.

Sheesh, indeed. What's the point of ignoring someone if you don't actually ignore them?

B.

Sheesh, indeed. What's the point of ignoring someone if you don't actually ignore them?

What do you mean? I don't ignore Pup Patrol.

Jeez.. I've found just short of 10,100 caches now and the worst thing I've ever found inside of a cache was an unused and sealed feminine hygiene device. Unless you're caching the back alleys of the Minneapolis north side, I call BS on your claim that you've found those things INSIDE of a cache. I have found far worse things while caching but inside of a cache? Cough cough -- don't believe you -- cough cough.

Jeez.. I've found just short of 10,100 caches now and the worst thing I've ever found inside of a cache was an unused and sealed feminine hygiene device. Unless you're caching the back alleys of the Minneapolis north side, I call BS on your claim that you've found those things INSIDE of a cache. I have found far worse things while caching but inside of a cache? Cough cough -- don't believe you -- cough cough.

Cache: Bikeable. That's a bullet. I'd already chucked the crack pipe because I couldn't believe I was touching it.

ff282001-6445-4b2f-9ff9-03f6c79b60a0.jpg

Cache: Love, Animals, and Cars. That's a pill of some kind, right in the center next to the football game stub.

883047de-565f-49e9-bde7-850710ff1ae4.jpg

Edited by LaughterOnWater

What is this???

So much morality...

And if he got pulled over for some reason on his way home, and the trooper happened to find the pipe on his person... then what?

Cache: Bikeable. That's a bullet. I'd already chucked the crack pipe because I couldn't believe I was touching it.

Wow, and here I'm looking at the guide, and it says explicitly:

"Explosives, ammunition, knives, drugs and alcohol should not be placed in a cache."

What was that you were saying about the rules?

What kind of agenda was inside this container?

Let's face it, today most of the cache containers are nano, micro and small, so is easy to assume that your concerns are targeted to, say... 20% of the caches in a given area?

Is it worthy?

I can assume that 20% of geocachers wouldn't care about being offended by any agenda they may face in a cache.

Now, if you want to talk about doing CITO to a filled bullet... I totally agree!

And if he got pulled over for some reason on his way home, and the trooper happened to find the pipe on his person... then what?

We have two alternatives.

1. Leaving the trash inside the container.

2. CITO.

And if this "hypothetical trooper" saw him throwing the pipe?

Let's stay on topic, shall we? ;)

Wow, and here I'm looking at the guide, and it says explicitly:

"Explosives, ammunition, knives, drugs and alcohol should not be placed in a cache."

What was that you were saying about the rules?

Oh narcissa... You know that most people follow the rules for the same reason ticking "found it" without having actually found it is an empty victory.

If the rules allow spam, well... spammers gonna spam. If the rules disallow it, then it would be at least for religious and non-profit agenda lit droppers, unconscionable to continue, since they're basically rule-followers.

What kind of agenda was inside this container?

Let's face it, today most of the cache containers are nano, micro and small, so is easy to assume that your concerns are targeted to, say... 20% of the caches in a given area?

Is it worthy?

I can assume that 20% of geocachers wouldn't care about being offended by any agenda they may face in a cache.

Now, if you want to talk about doing CITO to a filled bullet... I totally agree!

A couple things I didn't recognize, one I only just recognized as drug paraphernalia, a bullet... This was an unusual cache, with lots of people living in tents near by. One tent close to me looked like someone had abandoned all their worldly possessions. It was only as I was finishing up my log that I realized I was not in a very safe place. Glad to have had the bike. The other cache, Love, Animals and Cars with the pill was more typical and definitely safer. Aspirin bottle with agenda lit, trash and weird untradable stuff.

We have two alternatives.

1. Leaving the trash inside the container.

2. CITO.

And if this "hypothetical trooper" saw him throwing the pipe?

Let's stay on topic, shall we? ;)

I've found a few micros. Basically anything the size of a film canister or smaller has almost no swappables. But I've found more small, and medium caches and one cache big enough to bathe in. I don't particularly care for the magnet micros.

You are compelling. Are you saying most people trash agenda lit if they find it?

Chris

You are compelling. Are you saying most people trash agenda lit if they find it?

I have none experience on caching in USA, but I have many in a handful of european countries and Brazil, and the problem you are talking about is almost inexistent in those places (even in Brazil with lots of creeds).

I presented geocaching workshops and held several Events in different countries where I always describe any caching tour with 5 steps.

1. Preparation.

2. Going out.

3. Search for the cache when you are close enough.

4. Write the log in the logbook.

5. Do CITO.

I can't force others to comply... but I keep on trying. :)

Are you saying most people trash agenda lit if they find it?
I can't speak for Kelux, but I would expect most people to ignore agenda lit if they find it.

That's the crux of the matter. There are three camps. Those who trash agenda lit and those who swap it and those who ignore it.

• Some people, regardless of the rules, trash agenda lit. Some believe agenda-lit trashers are bending the rules. Others believe there's no rule that says we can't trash agenda lit.
  • Others believe the rules say we can't trash agenda lit, so they swap it out for something else, and trash the offending agenda lit.
  • Others just don't care.

I'm saying if you're ticked enough, and feel honor-bound not to bend the rules, just swap out for a Counter Agenda Card.

If you're not ticked enough to do it, then, meh. Don't.

Chris

I have none experience on caching in USA, but I have many in a handful of european countries and Brazil, and the problem you are talking about is almost inexistent in those places (even in Brazil with lots of creeds).

I presented geocaching workshops and held several Events in different countries where I always describe any caching tour with 5 steps.

1. Preparation.

2. Going out.

3. Search for the cache when you are close enough.

4. Write the log in the logbook.

5. Do CITO.

I can't force others to comply... but I keep on trying. :)

Thanks. Excellent advice.