can a hunting gps be used for geocaching

crazypig88

Not knowing which particular model there is no answer. Any GPS you can input co-ords can be used. People use their phones, handheld units automotive units, you could probably use a proffesional surveyors unit of you wanted. A basic hunting unit may only allow you to manually input co-ords. It works but can get tiring. A decent GPS can be had for under $200 and you can download caches along with the descriptions and such to it.

I began my caching career with a Garmin GPS40 which i had initially bought for offshore fishing. Terrible reception under trees, no mapping, and no computer connectivity but it had an arrow to point the way to manually entered waypoints. Found quite a few caches with it! I'd bet that old gpsr was similar to the one your Grandpa has.

Most any GPSr will work. Some have more features than others, some are geared towards differing activities, but as long as you can enter coordinates it will work.

In that it (presumably) was made for hunting, you should be able to enter the coordinates. After-all, that is how you find your stand, by marking a waypoint and returning to those coordinates.

The model designation would help.

I wonder if "hunting GPS" is just a marketing phrase used to make hunters think it' a GPS that is specifically designed for hunters when, in fact, it's that same model that one might use for hiking or geocaching.

A google search for "hunting gps" showed the sam Garmin and Magellan models that many use for geocaching.

And also if you go to Garmin's website and click Geocaching the same GPSr's show up when you click hunting.

I wonder if "hunting GPS" is just a marketing phrase used to make hunters think it' a GPS that is specifically designed for hunters when, in fact, it's that same model that one might use for hiking or geocaching.

A google search for "hunting gps" showed the sam Garmin and Magellan models that many use for geocaching.

And also if you go to Garmin's website and click Geocaching the same GPSr's show up when you click hunting.

Interesting... I'll relay it back to my grandfather

^^^ This ^^^

Using a GPS for hunting is no different than using one for Geocaching (or hiking or trail riding or any other outdoor activity). It leads you to a set of coordinates, whether there's a trailhead, a deer stand, or an ammo can there.

True, many of the handheld outdoor units do have special features and tools designed to make Geocaching easier, but the basic unit is the same.

My grandpa has told me that the gps is a Garmin GPS 12.

We found our first few caches with the GPS 12 I got in 2000.

It will work, but it will be bare bones: unless he has some basic maps on there, it's going to be coordinates and either an arrow or a dot on a screen. Mine wasn't terribly accurate, either. It was, after all, designed in the days before selective availability was turned off, so I suspect it was not designed for pinpoint, or even broad brush, accuracy.

Let me put it this way, we noticed almost an exponential improvement in accuracy when we got a GPSMAP 60CSx and quit using our GPS 12.

(Still, it's better than no GPSr at all.

We started with that unit. It worked well enough for our first 100+.

A few drawbacks worth noting...

1] it takes four (4) batteries and eats them as fast as current units using just two batteries;

2] it really doesn't behave well in heavy canopy, almost not at all under WET canopy;

3] there is no way to improve the mapping that it has (none) -- so you truly must find your own way around lakes, rivers, etc.;

4] data field(s) are short -- that is, you are limited to five (5) or seven (7) characters for the cache name (use the cache ID#, dropping the GC as they all have that), the lat/long fields will record only to the second decimal (not to the third decimal as other units do).

Simply put, it wasn't made with geocaching in mind. It was designed before geocaching was conceived.

Here is the manual if he doesn't have one: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=326524&view=findpost&p=5434612

One thing I noticed in comparing with other GPS 12 units, some of the Menu selections in some of the units differ with what the manual reads. It must be that a few had upgraded menu selections, while others did not.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

We found our first few caches with the GPS 12 I got in 2000.

It will work, but it will be bare bones: unless he has some basic maps on there, it's going to be coordinates and either an arrow or a dot on a screen. Mine wasn't terribly accurate, either. It was, after all, designed in the days before selective availability was turned off, so I suspect it was not designed for pinpoint, or even broad brush, accuracy.

Let me put it this way, we noticed almost an exponential improvement in accuracy when we got a GPSMAP 60CSx and quit using our GPS 12.

(Still, it's better than no GPSr at all.

And probably a nuvi.

We started with that unit. It worked well enough for our first 100+.

A few drawbacks worth noting...

4] data field(s) are short -- that is, you are limited to five (5) or seven (7) characters for the cache name (use the cache ID#, dropping the GC as they all have that), the lat/long fields will record only to the second decimal (not to the third decimal as other units do).

Simply put, it wasn't made with geocaching in mind. It was designed before geocaching was conceived.

Well that's how all devices were when it was desinged.Even in the Idiots Guide to Geocaching 3rd edition they say that you should put the GC code because most units can't handle a long name. What a long way we've come since 2011! :)

Edited by GrayHawk613

I used a GPS12 at first. It will work, but you will probably decide to upgrade soon. Same experiences as Gitchee noted above.

My method back then was to determine which direction made the numbers go in the right direction until I got close. Then look with your eyes. It was not an accurate or straight forward process.

Loading coordinates was also not straightforward, I used several different tools. And I needed a special 4 prong cable, and a USB to 12 pin converter cable.