Wherigo Challenges

My question is this:

Would you interpret the rules of Wherigo caches to mean that if you have a challenge requirement you still have to list it as a Wherigo?

Here are the rules from Groundspeak:

Wherigo™ Caches

If a cartridge is used as a requirement or means to find a cache, it is considered a Wherigo cache, regardless of whether it also has a puzzle or multi-cache element. The cartridge must reside at Wherigo.com. Cache saturation applies only to physical containers and not virtual elements like those that make up a Wherigo cartridge. A device that can play Wherigo is not considered special equipment, so the special equipment attribute is not required for this cache type. Learn more about Wherigo™.

My guess is that the requirements for a Challenge Listing would take priority over the Wherigo requirements:

Challenge Geocaches

If you have a Wherigo Cartridge associated with a Challenge Listing it would still be listed as a Puzzle, since the ALR portion of the Challenge would require it to be submitted as a Puzzle.

You might need to provide more information to give a more precise answer.

Yes.

Based on the first two lines... (Bolded)

I'd take as 'If any part requires the use of Wherigo, it's a Wherigo...' :unsure:

My question is this:

Would you interpret the rules of Wherigo caches to mean that if you have a challenge requirement you still have to list it as a Wherigo?

Here are the rules from Groundspeak:

Wherigo™ Caches

If a cartridge is used as a requirement or means to find a cache, it is considered a Wherigo cache, regardless of whether it also has a puzzle or multi-cache element. The cartridge must reside at Wherigo.com. Cache saturation applies only to physical containers and not virtual elements like those that make up a Wherigo cartridge. A device that can play Wherigo is not considered special equipment, so the special equipment attribute is not required for this cache type. Learn more about Wherigo™.

Wonder if this would be better in the Wherigo part of the forum?

ETA.

Could be, if the challenge is to find, lets say, a Trad, Multi, Wherigo, Virtual and Earthcahe cache in a day, may be it IS a Puzzle. ??

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Additional points to consider when creating a challenge geocache:

10. A challenge geocache must be attainable without the need to email the owner. The container should be located at the posted coordinates on the geocache page, or if a puzzle, the geocache page must include the means to calculate the coordinates of the container.

My guess is that the requirements for a Challenge Listing would take priority over the Wherigo requirements:

Challenge Geocaches

If you have a Wherigo Cartridge associated with a Challenge Listing it would still be listed as a Puzzle, since the ALR portion of the Challenge would require it to be submitted as a Puzzle.

Why are to trying to complicate things, last thing any hobby needs is a lawyers approach to the rules.

Edited by Roman!

Why are to trying to complicate things, last thing any hobby needs is a lawyers approach to the rules.

Dear Sir or Madam:

This CEASE AND DESIST ORDER is to inform you that your crusade against lawyers in the activity of Geocaching has become unbearable. Such anti-lawyer behavior is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated in any way, shape or form. This letter is to demand that your activities must CEASE AND DESIST immediately. Should you continue to pursue these activities in violation of this CEASE AND DESIST ORDER, we will not hesitate to pursue further legal action against you, including, but not limited to, civil action and/or criminal complaints.

Yours Sincerely,

Chrysalides, Chrysalides and Chrysalides

(actually, I believe I have said similar things in the past...)

Dear Sir or Madam:

This CEASE AND DESIST ORDER is to inform you that your crusade against lawyers in the activity of Geocaching has become unbearable. Such anti-lawyer behavior is completely unacceptable and will not be tolerated in any way, shape or form. This letter is to demand that your activities must CEASE AND DESIST immediately. Should you continue to pursue these activities in violation of this CEASE AND DESIST ORDER, we will not hesitate to pursue further legal action against you, including, but not limited to, civil action and/or criminal complaints.

Yours Sincerely,

Chrysalides, Chrysalides and Chrysalides

(actually, I believe I have said similar things in the past...)

That's not funny, I was banned from the forums for almost a year by a lawyer :laughing:

Challenge caches are defined as a subset of the Mystery type.

A cache that requires a cart for coords is a Wherigo, and can't include an ALR.

That said, I can see asking staff about this upfront, per the last paragraph of the introduction section of the guidelines.

Hey, a Wherigo Challenge, there's something to be said for frontloading the coords with a Wherigo ;-)

Challenge Geocaches

:laughing: I can see how it sounds that way. My intent was like what Palemetto's post was illustrating. In other words, trying to reduce confusion.

It wouldn't even occur to me that I HAVE to read a Description on a Wherigo cache type (and I usually read all the Descriptions of caches I find), so from my point of view, it makes more sense to give priority to the ALR rather than the Cartridge when choosing the cache type.

Obviously from the last few posts, some people have thought otherwise ;)

I would break the standoff between the contradictory icons by saying that a Challenge Cache cannot have a Wherigo element.
Even if it's a Challenge Cache that requires finding a certain number of Wherigo caches?

I think it makes perfect sense for a puzzle-related Challenge Cache to have a puzzle to determine the coordinates, for a large-size-related Challenge Cache to have a large container, for a night-cache-related Challenge Cache to have a night cache final, for a Wherigo-related Challenge Cache to have a Wherigo cartridge to find the final, etc. It seems a shame to ban in-theme hides for Challenge Caches like this.

If the specific cache itself has no Wherigo elements but rather for you to just have had five 5 wherigos found in the past, then its an unknown in my book. You do not need to actually use any cartridges to find the cache below for example, you may have for the qualification caches but not the challenge itself.

No more than 100 letterbox challenge is an unknown, 100 multi challenge, etc.

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC2PZ6M_washington-state-Wherigo-challenge?guid=1eaadf72-09a3-42be-8c7c-e8920bc77688