Are my logbook entries boring?

I'm very new to geocaching and I love it!

I've read in a few different posts how some cache owners seem put off by generic log entries left by people. I've heard the term "cut and paste" to describe some of the entries. Is there a difference between what I write in the physical cache log book and what I type when I log it online? Should I be more descriptive online?

Sometimes I find myself at a loss for what to write in the log, but I don't want to be boring.

So I'd like to know from cache owners - what sort of log entries do you like to see?

Thanks!

I like to see some little thing about your experience in finding the cache. Was it easy ..... was it a unique camo method to you ... did you like how, or where it was hidden .... did you NOT like the area, etc. It doesn't have to be long. Sometimes, if nothing happened, or it was boring to you, then even just something like the condition of the cache, and a thanks. Cut and paste, if you've found several of our caches is no better than TFTC. And if you think the cache only deserves TFTC, then that's all you need to write.

EDIT:

I looked at a few of your logs and all of them are just fine!

Keep up the good logging.

Edit again:

It's always our handles and the date in the cache log book. And that's all I want in my caches. Fewer "log is full" messages.

Online is a different matter.

Edited by BC & MsKitty

I don't think there's any need to write anything other than your name in the physical logbook. As for online, you can be as brief or as long-winded as you like. I personally prefer long, interesting logs. Even if you can't think of anything to say, you can always mention the weather, how long it took to find the cache, who was with you, what state the cache was in and a thank-you to the CO.

Short

Another quick one. I'm afraid my logs are all about of order today. Appreciated all the excellent hints and flagging tape. TFTH!

Longer

I didn't think I found the right survey marker, but maybe I did. I was in the area (read-200 meters downhill) moving my Barn Owl cache when I thought I should go look for this one so that I didn't get any unexpected proximity problems. I didn't think my coords were good so I searched a bit +-30 meters, both sides of the path. Finally I gave up and just went to the coords I had and there it was, only about 10 meters off.

The last (and first) time I hiked up this trail it was after dark and I was with the legendary Zoom Zoom. I remember huffing and puffing up the trail and having to stop frequently to "enjoy the view". As he zipped up the trail, he chain-smoked and took frequent sips from a whisky flask, only stopping once in a while to let me catch up. That's a night I won't soon forget. TFTH!

Even longer

WARNING: THIS PUZZLE MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH AS IT MAY CAUSE AN OVERWHELMING URGE TO CONSUME DONUTS

After not having consumed any donuts for at least a decade (I’m going to exclude timbits as they are so small they don't really count), I came across this puzzle. Seemed innocent enough. Not being very knowledgeable in the donut department, I decided to do a little bit of field research first. I stopped by the local donut shop, snapped some photos with my phone and went home to analyze the results. It took a bit of eye-straining, but I soon had some deliciously helpful information. Now what? I thought about it for a bit, then gave up and put the puzzle aside. I came back to it months later and pondered some more. Staring at all these photos of donuts got me thinking and I decided to head back over to the local donut shop the next morning to do a little bit more research. I stood in line and then, purely out of morbid curiosity, ordered a donut. The evil girl behind the counter cheerfully took my order, popped a donut in a bag, handed it to me and wished me a nice day. I got back to my car, peeked into the bag , pulled it out and looked at it. Honestly, I’m not sure how it is legal for them to sell these things, let alone sell these things to their fellow human beings *for breakfast*. I shivered as I considered the number of people who eat these things regularly. I took a bite and it was worse than I expected. I’ve done a lot of low-carbing recently, to the point that cauliflower tastes sweet so you can imagine the sugar-rush I experienced. Every molecule of the thing was saturated in sugar. Contrary to what I expected, though, I did not drop dead and, in fact, I ended up making about ½ dozen return trips (to my credit, not all in the same day).

Solving the puzzle was another thing. Once I figured out the first bit, I had no clue what to do, so I tried a bunch of very strange things. I finally asked the CO for a hint and was given a very helpful one. I got some numbers, but just couldn’t get things to work out. I put the puzzle aside a bit longer, then gave it another go. I tried all sorts of weird math this time but couldn’t get GeoCheck to cooperate. After talking to the CO at an event, I realized I was indeed on the right track. Still couldn’t get the math to work, so I begged the CO for more help. Turns out the local donut shop has messed with their donuts twice in the last 6 months. So at least this time, it was not my fault. I gave it another go and was just about ready to give up when I got glorious sugary success from GeoCheck.

Dropped by today for the grab. I’m proud to say I did not succumb to temptation this time. In fact, the whole experience has kind of put me off donuts, which I’m pretty sure has made my pancreas (and the late Dr Atkins) very happy.

TFTH!

I don't think there's any need to write anything other than your name in the physical logbook. As for online, you can be as brief or as long-winded as you like. I personally prefer long, interesting logs. Even if you can't think of anything to say, you can always mention the weather, how long it took to find the cache, who was with you, what state the cache was in and a thank-you to the CO.

Short

Another quick one. I'm afraid my logs are all about of order today. Appreciated all the excellent hints and flagging tape. TFTH!

Longer

I didn't think I found the right survey marker, but maybe I did. I was in the area (read-200 meters downhill) moving my Barn Owl cache when I thought I should go look for this one so that I didn't get any unexpected proximity problems. I didn't think my coords were good so I searched a bit +-30 meters, both sides of the path. Finally I gave up and just went to the coords I had and there it was, only about 10 meters off.

The last (and first) time I hiked up this trail it was after dark and I was with the legendary Zoom Zoom. I remember huffing and puffing up the trail and having to stop frequently to "enjoy the view". As he zipped up the trail, he chain-smoked and took frequent sips from a whisky flask, only stopping once in a while to let me catch up. That's a night I won't soon forget. TFTH!

Even longer

WARNING: THIS PUZZLE MAY BE HAZARDOUS TO YOUR HEALTH AS IT MAY CAUSE AN OVERWHELMING URGE TO CONSUME DONUTS

After not having consumed any donuts for at least a decade (I’m going to exclude timbits as they are so small they don't really count), I came across this puzzle. Seemed innocent enough. Not being very knowledgeable in the donut department, I decided to do a little bit of field research first. I stopped by the local donut shop, snapped some photos with my phone and went home to analyze the results. It took a bit of eye-straining, but I soon had some deliciously helpful information. Now what? I thought about it for a bit, then gave up and put the puzzle aside. I came back to it months later and pondered some more. Staring at all these photos of donuts got me thinking and I decided to head back over to the local donut shop the next morning to do a little bit more research. I stood in line and then, purely out of morbid curiosity, ordered a donut. The evil girl behind the counter cheerfully took my order, popped a donut in a bag, handed it to me and wished me a nice day. I got back to my car, peeked into the bag , pulled it out and looked at it. Honestly, I’m not sure how it is legal for them to sell these things, let alone sell these things to their fellow human beings *for breakfast*. I shivered as I considered the number of people who eat these things regularly. I took a bite and it was worse than I expected. I’ve done a lot of low-carbing recently, to the point that cauliflower tastes sweet so you can imagine the sugar-rush I experienced. Every molecule of the thing was saturated in sugar. Contrary to what I expected, though, I did not drop dead and, in fact, I ended up making about ½ dozen return trips (to my credit, not all in the same day).

Solving the puzzle was another thing. Once I figured out the first bit, I had no clue what to do, so I tried a bunch of very strange things. I finally asked the CO for a hint and was given a very helpful one. I got some numbers, but just couldn’t get things to work out. I put the puzzle aside a bit longer, then gave it another go. I tried all sorts of weird math this time but couldn’t get GeoCheck to cooperate. After talking to the CO at an event, I realized I was indeed on the right track. Still couldn’t get the math to work, so I begged the CO for more help. Turns out the local donut shop has messed with their donuts twice in the last 6 months. So at least this time, it was not my fault. I gave it another go and was just about ready to give up when I got glorious sugary success from GeoCheck.

Dropped by today for the grab. I’m proud to say I did not succumb to temptation this time. In fact, the whole experience has kind of put me off donuts, which I’m pretty sure has made my pancreas (and the late Dr Atkins) very happy.

TFTH!

Thank you. :laughing:

Considering that a large percentage of the caches out there nowadays are micros and nanos, there really isn't any room on the paper log for much more than the date and your sig (sometimes just initials). Plus when they're located in shopping center parking lots and such, there's often not much privacy to sit down and write anything. So it's usually just sign in quickly and slip it back into it's hiding place.

Now if it's a regular sized cache with a real log book and it's out in the woods somewhere, I may sit down and write a couple of sentences.

Mostly folks are talking about the online log, where you have time to sit down at your computer and record your thoughts. Of course, many people nowadays just thumb out a quick "TFTC" on their smart phone and move on to the next smiley, and never do log on the website. Smartphone caching was really where the acronyms and one-word logs started.

I practice the cut and paste method for the generic stuff for a day of caching but after the generic and before the TFTC in my log I try to include some real meat and potatoes about the specific cache, area, sights, sounds. Sometimes it is one line sometimes it is more.

Just a cut and paste was the norm in the beginning for us but now since we have hidden a few caches and really appreciate a good log we are filling in more meat and potatoes in our logs we write.

BUT there is always a but, if it is a stop sign cache it is just a plain old cut and paste. My OCD will not let me pass those dreaded stop sign micros up. They will get found whether I like it or not.

I had a read of a few of the OP's logs and they look pretty good B)

There's a few short ones in there with very little content but I see that some of those caches have hundreds of finds and zero Favourite Points - which suggests they might not be particularly remarkable caches.

I like to see feedback on the condition of my caches - some of those mentioned in the OP's logs really deserved a Needs Maintenance log in addition to the found log I would say.

It's also useful to know roughly how long it took to find the cache - as this helps hiders to gauge appropriate Difficulty ratings for the caches and can be a useful guide for future finders.

Were the coordinates good - or way out? That's also useful information for a bunch of reasons - one being that caches sometimes creep i.e. each finder moves the cache away from where it was originally hidden - even tiny amounts each time can add up to a considerable distance over time.

I can usually find something unique to write about every cache I visit - sometimes good, sometimes bad - but I always try to give an honest and accurate account of my experience.

In the field, I will try to write a friendly note in a logbook if it's a regular-sized cache.

Online, I make an attempt to write a unique log for each cache, even if it's not very long. Occasionally, I'll find a cache that is just so unremarkable that I have very little to say. A couple of times, I've even done the dreaded "TFTC" because it took less energy than describing, in detail, just how lame the cache was.

We tend to cache for quality, not quantity, so even our less remarkable finds are usually part of a bigger day where we're having a lot of fun. So even if the cache itself isn't much to write home about, I can say something about the company I was with, or something funny/interesting we saw nearby, etc. One of my fondest geocaching memories is of the night after a Mega event where we drove around this unfamiliar city in three or four cars, racing from one lamppost cache to another.

Oh, and as an owner, I always appreciate it when someone writes an interesting log, but I don't begrudge anyone who doesn't.

Edited by narcissa

The physical log is just entirely different. Write, don't write, whatever you feel like. Don't tell the old timers I said so, but I seriously doubt many physical logs are ever read these days, no matter what anyone says. So, personally, I don't often waste my breath, just adding a sentence or two when there's real logbook, fulling expecting no one to notice.

Online is the real log. Log what you want. I can't help myself from writing about my experience and other random elements, but personally I think everyone should write whatever they're comfortable with.

The one thing I would discourage, though, are the cut&paste logs, meaning multiple logs with some or all of the content duplicated in every log. People that do cut&paste logs see every log in isolation, but the fact is that if you find multiple caches in one trip, other people will find the same multiple caches in later trips, that they'll be bored to tears seeing your paragraph describing your day over and over and over.

The physical log is just entirely different. Write, don't write, whatever you feel like. Don't tell the old timers I said so, but I seriously doubt many physical logs are ever read these days, no matter what anyone says. So, personally, I don't often waste my breath, just adding a sentence or two when there's real logbook, fulling expecting no one to notice.

Online is the real log...

Oh my - sorry, I just flat out disagree with that :-) The "real" log is the confirmation I've been there isn't it? But that's my feeling about it and I can see why some people would disagree. I certainly write more in my online logs - just because it's often more convenient to, especially if it's raining.

But, anyway...

I certainly disagree about no-one reading physical logs - assuming we're talking about real log books in bigger caches. I've read every entry in several logbooks within the last month - one going back to 2006. They were really interesting - the older ones were generally longer with much more of a tendency to write just name and date on recent ones - although the really special one I found recently didn't even suffer from that fate - everyone had written a couple of sentences at least. But then it is 6km away from the nearest road...

Oh my - sorry, I just flat out disagree with that :-) The "real" log is the confirmation I've been there isn't it? But that's my feeling about it and I can see why some people would disagree. I certainly write more in my online logs - just because it's often more convenient to, especially if it's raining.

But, anyway...

I certainly disagree about no-one reading physical logs - assuming we're talking about real log books in bigger caches. I've read every entry in several logbooks within the last month - one going back to 2006. They were really interesting - the older ones were generally longer with much more of a tendency to write just name and date on recent ones - although the really special one I found recently didn't even suffer from that fate - everyone had written a couple of sentences at least. But then it is 6km away from the nearest road...

We always take time to flip through bigger logbooks to see who else was there. Old geocaches are wonderful to find for that reason.

Exactly my point. Yes, you have to sign the physical log, but everyone -- and I don't use that word lightly -- writes much more in the on-line log, which makes it the real log of visits to that cache.

And yes, some people sometimes look at logbooks, but I still contend that 9 out of 10 of my logs written in physical logbooks have never been read.

I've seen a cache in West Virginia where a newbie said in their log "that was not fun" and nothing else..that's a lot worse that plain old TFTC. :(

Sorry, but if I find a cache not fun, I'm going to say so while explaining why. I'll thank the CO for their effort, anyway, since the fact that I personally didn't find it fun doesn't mean that the owner intended it to not be fun, although once in a while I wonder...

I've seen a cache in West Virginia where a newbie said in their log "that was not fun" and nothing else..that's a lot worse that plain old TFTC. :(

Sorry, but if I find a cache not fun, I'm going to say so while explaining why. I'll thank the CO for their effort, anyway, since the fact that I personally didn't find it fun doesn't mean that the owner intended it to not be fun, although once in a while I wonder...

If I saw a log like that, I would assume it was meant to be funny. After a long bushwhack with thousands of mosquitoes, or a really hard puzzle, I might say something like that.

If I saw a log like that, I would assume it was meant to be funny. After a long bushwhack with thousands of mosquitoes, or a really hard puzzle, I might say something like that.

Yeah, sometimes I see the humor in it. Alas, in other cases I don't think it's so damned funny.

...I certainly write more in my online logs - just because it's often more convenient to, especially if it's raining.

Exactly my point. Yes, you have to sign the physical log, but everyone -- and I don't use that word lightly -- writes much more in the on-line log, which makes it the real log of visits to that cache.

And yes, some people sometimes look at logbooks, but I still contend that 9 out of 10 of my logs written in physical logbooks have never been read.

Yeah, OK - I pretty much agree that people will almost always write more in the online log - except perhaps those people who don't log online at all of course.

In terms of 9/10 logs not getting read - I guess that if they're log scrolls and so on then maybe not (I'm finding these in "large" caches just now btw - what's that about?). But proper old logbooks - ah, they're really cool.

I would never log more than a name and date in a physical log. So often, space is far too valuable to waste in those! But even if there was enough, I'd much rather write a note at my leisure on the site. That way the CO can get a nice little notification and know in real-time who's visited their cache, and how they liked it.

As far as the online notes go, it depends on the cache. Simple hide-a-keys on guardrails or pill bottles under a streetlight? Usually they'll just get a "TFTC!". Don't get me wrong, I still love doing them, and I'm always happy to find a new or well-maintained cache no matter how simple it is, but there's really only so much I can say about them unless there's some other element of novelty!

Big hikes, beautiful views, clever riddles, those will get a complimentary log. The most fantastic, the longer the log!

I love sitting down and reading old logbooks. My favorites are original, intact logbooks that have survived the entirety of the cache. I have a few adopted caches like the and I love to sit down in the forest and read the entire thing. Love it.

It's also a greats way to get to know your geocommunity. Interesting what one can derive from a physical log...

Every time I log some cache online I try to write something special. I try to avoid cut-and-paste logs. We already had a discussion here about whether it's good or not so good to leave such logs... I still think it's just selfish, it's like making illusion of talking much about the cache while it's actually not about the cache at all since the very same log has been posted to all other caches which were visited that day...

As a CO I love logs where visitors say something about their experience at the place, how they liked it, what interesting they met/saw/knew. When I publish a cache description, two pages of original story telling about the history and the architecture and all that wonderful people who lived there, and I get something like "grabbed this cache quickly, nice micro, TFTC, continued to the next one" - I feel that my story probably didn't leave any traces in their souls and heads, and it's pity.

The only two exclusions for me to log a short TFTC are:

- If a cache appears to be in a really ugly place (dirty, littered, dangerous) and its CO doesn't do anything about numerous complaints,

- If I know for sure that the CO is paranoid towards logs in his caches and that anything above "TFTC" might be attacked/criticized by him.

Both situations are quite rare in my practice (luckily).

I love sitting down and reading old logbooks. My favorites are original, intact logbooks that have survived the entirety of the cache. I have a few adopted caches like the and I love to sit down in the forest and read the entire thing. Love it.

It's also a greats way to get to know your geocommunity. Interesting what one can derive from a physical log...

Whenever we find old regular cache that takes some work to get to, we have what we call a "Binthair party" where we sit around at the GZ, go through the cache, read the logbook, sip our water bottles, and rest up before moving on. It's just nice to slow down and appreciate the caches and cachers that really make this game worthwhile, and it's a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone. I'm currently planning for find 2,000 in the next few weeks and we'll certainly make an effort to do a nice old cache for that.

My husband will log all caches as TFTC. I've relieved him of logging duties. In the online logs, I always try to mention at least one or two unique things about the caching experience for that cache. Sometimes it is challenging when you're in a Walmart parking lot in a strange town, but that's where I'll mention the weather or even a cache it reminds me of (for example, the first cache I ever found was an LPC--and holy crap, I thought it was the most ingenious thing ever). In the physical log, if it's a larger logbok and there's room I'll usually write a sentence or two about the journey to the cache and the weather. I don't think or expect most logs to be literary masterpieces, but I like know that someone actually enjoyed finding the caches I've hidden rather than feeling like it was some kind of rote activity (which is sometimes how it feels when you see nothing but TFTC logs).

We have developed a "formula" for what we put in the onlines logs thanks to GSAK.

-Time we pushed "Found It" on the GPS.

-Target area we were caching on that day / run

-Cache run goals for that day / run (such as working on challenges, traveling etc.)

-Weather during the day / run

We will add a line or two about who is present for the find.

Each log will have something specific about the find usually only a sentence or two.

We typically close with:

Cache and log in good shape. (Or if not, we note the specific issues prior to posting a NM if needed.)

Signed and dated the log. (If we traded SWAG or picked up a TB or were FTF, we would note this here too.)

Please Note: If the log is small or getting full we may sign as HT.

Thanks for the cache!

Happy Caching!

Cache Run information: X of Y for this cache run.

#Z of our Total Cache Finds.

Too much information...don't know.

As a cache owner, we prefer the above than just TFTC.

We have been contacted about cache help before with comments like "Hey, you found ___ cache...we could use some help."

By looking at our logs, we have a built in reminder which helps prompts our memories...plus it's fun to relive some of those adventures.

GSAK allows you to build templates so we are just adding and tweaking depending on what we found at GZ.

Happy Caching! - hawkeyetob

We have developed a "formula" for what we put in the onlines logs thanks to GSAK.

This screams cookie cutter to me - a log style I'm not fond of.

-Time we pushed "Found It" on the GPS.

-Target area we were caching on that day / run

If not specific to my cache - surplus to requirements - especially when it's a team logging using the same cookie-cutter formula and it's included in every log by every team member.

-Cache run goals for that day / run (such as working on challenges, traveling etc.)

Great - you only found my cache in order to qualify for someone else's challenge :rolleyes:

-Weather during the day / run

We will add a line or two about who is present for the find.

Each log will have something specific about the find usually only a sentence or two.

More often than not - this is the only part of a cookie-cutter log I'm interested in. Of course I'd prefer a log that's the length of the cookie-cutter log that's specific to my cache - it's one of the reasons I placed it.

We typically close with:

Cache and log in good shape. (Or if not, we note the specific issues prior to posting a NM if needed.)

Signed and dated the log. (If we traded SWAG or picked up a TB or were FTF, we would note this here too.)

Please Note: If the log is small or getting full we may sign as HT.

Thanks for the cache!

All welcome information :)

Cache Run information: X of Y for this cache run.

#Z of our Total Cache Finds.

Of general interest - although I've seen logs which consist only of this and, frankly, in those cases I'd prefer a simple TFTC.

Too much information...don't know.

As a cache owner, we prefer the above than just TFTC.

Some of the above - yes, some of it - and the cookie-cutter format - not so much.

We have been contacted about cache help before with comments like "Hey, you found ___ cache...we could use some help."

Really up to the cache owner.

By looking at our logs, we have a built in reminder which helps prompts our memories...plus it's fun to relive some of those adventures.

Agreed - and I much prefer to do that through original / one-off logs specific to each individual find.

GSAK allows you to build templates so we are just adding and tweaking depending on what we found at GZ.

Cookie cutter :(

Don't forget that some of the loggers are kids doing so with parental supervision. I know that the TOU says at least 13 years old, let's not get into that in this thread. Kids can be very direct, especially if they're "strongly encouraged" by their geocaching parent to log. It may not be your cache, it could be a father dragging his 8 year old through the forest when it's 90 degrees and humid.

tl;dr : don't read too much into a log.

Don't forget that some of the loggers are kids doing so with parental supervision. I know that the TOU says at least 13 years old, let's not get into that in this thread. Kids can be very direct, especially if they're "strongly encouraged" by their geocaching parent to log. It may not be your cache, it could be a father dragging his 8 year old through the forest when it's 90 degrees and humid.

tl;dr : don't read too much into a log.

I've been taking my little brother caching (don't worry, he's 13), and he usually uses the intro app's pre-loaded responses. Getting a unique log out of him is like pulling teeth, so I don't pull too hard.

This is one of the reasons I like to write good logs. It's not just for the cache owner or other cachers, but also as sort of an online journal for myself. There are so many good memories that would be lost if I hadn't typed them in my log.