A creepy Bookmark list

Not wanting to sound morbid, but I have noticed that I have a number of caches on my "Wish List" that involve the locations of well-known tragedies. Some examples:

GC11H0Z, "Ambush in Gibsland II"....location of the Bonnie and Clyde ambush

GC1639E, "Beverly Hills Supper Club, a forgotten history"...site of a disastrous fire in Kentucky in the late 1970's....of particular interest to me due to my fire service experience (I actually discovered this one in a Caches Along a Route PQ planning a trip to move my sister to Michigan and the trip never took place)

GCYETE, "Freebird!"...site of Lynyrd Skynyrd's plane crash.

GC2P8XD, "Jayne Mansfield's Crash Site"...only about an hour and a half drive from me

Then there are a few of the ones I have actually already been to....

GC1YWHH, "White Alder Cache Revised"....location on the Mississippi River where the Coast Guard buoy tender White Alder was sunk in a collision with a freighter in the late 60's

GC1FJHT, "In Loving Memory II"...site of the plane crash that killed singer Jim Croce

GC2P226, "George Prince Ferry Memorial"...another Mississippi River disaster in 1976...the ferry George Prince was run down by a freighter with large loss of life.

Anyway, I find myself fascinated by these ghosts from the past...The history of these places make for the kind of cache I like to hunt. So, what other caches like these have you found (or would like to find someday)? Does anybody know of a public Bookmark list highlighting these sort of caches? Or am I just being too creepy? :o

The Black Dahlia - the grave of Elizabeth Short continues to be a place of pilgrimage for goths and other people interested in such things.

There are some caches in my area based on the Trailside Killer. Particularly when they first came out, they seemed a bit too focused on Mr. Carpenter - so.i was glad to see some editing involved. The Jack the Ripper series in the east end of London is one of my favorites, so perhaps time and distance is a factor.

The Black Dahlia - the grave of Elizabeth Short continues to be a place of pilgrimage for goths and other people interested in such things.

There are some caches in my area based on the Trailside Killer. Particularly when they first came out, they seemed a bit too focused on Mr. Carpenter - so.i was glad to see some editing involved. The Jack the Ripper series in the east end of London is one of my favorites, so perhaps time and distance is a factor.

I don't find this whole thing creepy at all, I'm interested in this stuff. I had no clue Goths were into The Black Dahlia. I've always been an honorary Goth, due to my love of Robert Smith and The Cure. :unsure:

I *DO* remember a cache though that caused MAJOR controversy way back in the day. It was near a crime scene in Vancouver, B.C., where some guy murdered dozens of prostitutes, and buried them on his property. I'm quite sure it ended up archived. So I guess what I'm saying is, these things need to be done in good taste. As good as possible, I guess.

I had to laugh at your list, Chief. We've found four of the six on your list. We also like caches at "haunted" sites. Here's a cool one.

Route 66 -- Galena Murder Bordello GC4HFJF

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC4HFJF_route-66-galena-murder-bordello?guid=26d90a9d-a958-4013-a0ef-642fa1e18f29

Well, we do cache the same territory :)

A quick check of Project-GC.com shows that there are 271 caches that you and I have both logged. That's a pretty nifty website, by the way....

Edited by Chief301

What? No one did "Supertramp Bus"? This was where Chris McCandlis died. It was popularized with the book and move "Into the Wild".

Easy cache on a dream destination - in the magic bus.

This one is last one in a serie of six caches along Stampede trail.

That's it? That's the whole description? I really love caches where I can learn a little about the history of what happened there, but for Pete's sake at least tell me the story in the cache description. All I know from the cache info is that this is a bus and it's on the Stampede Trail. I had to look up Chris McCandless on Wikipedia. That's an interesting (albeit tragic) story.....why would someone bring me to a place like that and not tell me why the place is significant? 😳

Here are a few more plane crash listings: [urlMy link="http://coord.info/GCGC55"]Warthog Down[/url] and Mt. Tom B-17 Memorial.

A series of 8 caches surrounding Jesse James and his gang starts here. Included are the first daylight bank robbery, the home in which Jesse James was killed, and the grave sites of several of the gang members.

This listing is a bit weak, but the gallery images of the historic plaque explain the location clearly. Pretty Boy Floyd and accomplices killed an FBI agent and three local LEO's in a botched attempt to free another accomplice here. After this incident FBI agents were authorized to carry firearms, and bank robbery became a federal offense.

The Grassy Knoll at Dealey Plaza in Dallas TX.

Two really series of ones:

In Texas you have all these old cemetaries everywhere, along old trails,

former farms,etc and those each tend to get a geocache. Then there are some

challenges to get "cemetary caches" for a certain number of counties or in a

certain area.

In London, England there use to be a series of caches that were the various

plague pits; the plague pits were the places they disposed of the bodies

during the black plague since they were not able to properly bury all the

dead. Some are really neat because the locals have kept up memorials other

are just under current parks and garden.

The ones I kind of look out for when traveling are the old memorials on the

side of the road because of auto accidents. People have put out stones and

metal markers and they have to be far off the side of the road, then over

time the places get overgrown, the roads get moved and contruction workers

move or work them into the ground, etc. They are just forgotten memorials.

Here are three more plane crashes:

Sole Survivor [Virt/GC65DB]

Holly Shrine [Virt/GC6780] (posted above by SwineFlew)

Virginia's worst Airplane Disaster- Flight 201/8 - [Trad/GC51668]

And a Suicide:

Did He Fall or Did He Jump? [Trad/GC3Q18B]

Edited by fishgeek