Garmin Oregon 4, 5, or 600 series

So I've recently decided I'd like to obtain a GPS that allows me to do paperless caching, i.e. download the gpx from Groundspeak and have all the info allready in my GPS ready to go. I don't need fancy road routing or a built in camera. I would like a decent basemap so I think I need to look for a model that ends in t. Also not sure if it matters but I use a Mac, which has been a bit cumbersome with my current garmin unit. It seems like the Oregon fits my needs, but in researching it seems that they are sometimes plauged with buggy software. So I come to this esteemed forum, and beseech all users of the Oregon to share their wisdom on which model gets it done and which system is the most stable. Thanks in advance!

I’m a very recent owner of an Oregon 600 after caching with a GPSMAP 60CSx for years. I was concerned about buggy software, too, but after using the 600 almost daily for nearly two weeks it hasn’t had a single hiccup that I didn’t cause myself. I’m sure most any GPS has some bugs but so far so good.

Regarding going for a ‘t’ model: I opted out of that because I hadn’t heard much good about the 100K maps that came with those models. Instead I loaded up free state topo maps from GPSFileDepot that were very good. I since got a set of Garmin Northeast 24K maps because they are routable and show shaded relief, but the free maps also seem to be 24K scale and are excellent. Something to think about.

As you may know, the 600 series is newer than the rest of the Oregons and has significant improvements, like the ability to load a virtually unlimited number of caches.

I’m sure you’ll get lots of great advice here. Good luck!

I have a 600. I went out with a friend who has a 60csx and both units seemed comparable with accuracy. The 600 has the best display of any handheld gpsr that I have used - and I have used a number. The screen is very responsive. It uses pinch motions to expand or zoom the map. I have had no major problems with it - once in a while it tends to freeze when leading a cache list but it is easily resolved.

I use an OSM map with it - it routes well and displays a lot of trails that the garmin topos do not have. I do not use very many of the paperless features since the display, graphics, and features of the iphone app I use (not the Groundspeak one) is much better - particularly for earthcaches, letterboxes, and other caches where a graphic display is important. But for a basic hint or something like that, it is fine.

Hi, I have the 550t and like the paperless aspect of it, took a little time to get used to it coming from a vista hcx but once you get the workflow it's fine. If you read the forums you will find lots of posts re battery life but use eneloops and carry a couple of spares and it's not a problem. As for maps I would just load a map of your area onto the sd card, plenty of how to's around, I use talkytoasters uk maps. They also have the ability to load logs to your account via a pc connection.

As for firmware i use 5.50 on mine, other versions on the oregon wiki, as it has good recommendations for geocaching and have no issues at all. I have windows but macs work fine providing you remember to empty the trash after deleting caches from the unit.

Another vote to add to the pile... have used an Oregon 450 and a 62S with a Mac and it is a breeze once you get a good workflow. You can install the following free programs that are offered by Garmin in Mac format: Map Install, Map Manager, POI Loader, Web Updater, and Basecamp. The GPS unit (and any installed memory card) just show up like an external drive on the desktop. (Only caveat is you will want to empty the trash can if you delete any .gpx files off the GPS. See below.) I also use the free maps from GPS File Depot -- lots of good ones there, especially topos. Another place to look is the Garmin Forum for Custom Maps: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?206-Example-Garmin-Custom-Maps

Also... see this thread on using Garmin GPS units and Macs: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=320899&st=0&p=5365888&fromsearch=1entry5365888

Personally, I wouldn't bother with the "t" models anyway. IIRC, they are just 1:100K maps anyways. If you are in the NW, I'd recommend the excellent free topos at Switchbacks.com (they also have free trail maps): http://www.switchbacks.com/nwtopos/

I just purchased a 650 a couple weeks ago. Prior to that I have been using an Oregon 300 since 09. Two of my caching partners use 450's. The bottom line is when we reached gz all three gps's showed pretty much the same accuracy. With the power button on my 300 getting finicky I decided it was time for an upgrade. I went with the 650 because I also use it to track kayak trips and having a camera built in was a big plus. When geocaching with the little woman she uses the 300. Comparing the 300 to the 650 for accuracy the results were the same as when compared to the 450. There are pluses to the 600 series over the others. A brighter highly readable screen. Tougher more scratch resistant screen, and the screen is much more responsive. As far as the 650 holding more caches than the others to me thats a moot point. Once you get used to them I think they are a little more user friendly than the old 300, 400 and, 500 series. I know the 300 is pretty much dead as far software upgrades. How long before the 400/500 going be left out in the cold, who knows. If money isn't a major factor. I think the 600's are well worth a close look.

Keep in mind that the 600 series also has GLONASS. Though it might not make the unit more accurate in many conditions, in woods or canyons the extra satellites can give you a faster lock on your coord's.

I would have been glad to put up with a stubby quad helix antenna sticking out of my 600 for a little more accuracy (like the 60/62/64 series) but it seems to get within 11-12 feet as is.

Edited by bikebill77

Keep in mind that the 600 series also has GLONASS. Though it might not make the unit more accurate in many conditions, in woods or canyons the extra satellites can give you a faster lock on your coord's.

I would have been glad to put up with a stubby quad helix antenna sticking out of my 600 for a little more accuracy (like the 60/62/64 series) but it seems to get within 11-12 feet as is.

For some reason ( I guess size control ) Garmin has never put the quad on a touchscreen.

For dollar value its hard to beat the 450.....if cost is not an issue get the 600. My main gripe about my 450 is the screen is not responsive enough. I tried a 600 and the screen was very responsive and the display was beautiful.

I was just checking that with my 600. If I swipe my finger completely across the screen so it pans to a new 'page' it takes about a second to re-draw. By the time I can say 'a thousand one' it's refreshed. Much faster than my pokey 60CSx. I have the map speed set to fast vs. normal.

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good info to consider. How do the Oregons handle panning the map with a 24k topo loaded up? I don't need instantaneous, but waiting for the map to refresh while panning is a major annoyance to me.

Panning the map is my MAIN gripe with my 450 and is the main reason I now use a 62S. Between the screen being not responsive enough or accidentally putting a pin down or touching something I hadn't intended it drove me nuts. The 600 has to be way better for panning.

Thanks for all the replies, lots of good info to consider. How do the Oregons handle panning the map with a 24k topo loaded up? I don't need instantaneous, but waiting for the map to refresh while panning is a major annoyance to me.

My 450 pans as fast as I can get my finger to work, so certainly no complaints about that. Not quite as good with Birdseye, but of course, that's a much 'bigger' image to move.

I just purchased a 650 a couple weeks ago. Prior to that I have been using an Oregon 300 since 09. Two of my caching partners use 450's. The bottom line is when we reached gz all three gps's showed pretty much the same accuracy. With the power button on my 300 getting finicky I decided it was time for an upgrade. I went with the 650 because I also use it to track kayak trips and having a camera built in was a big plus. When geocaching with the little woman she uses the 300. Comparing the 300 to the 650 for accuracy the results were the same as when compared to the 450. There are pluses to the 600 series over the others. A brighter highly readable screen. Tougher more scratch resistant screen, and the screen is much more responsive. As far as the 650 holding more caches than the others to me thats a moot point. Once you get used to them I think they are a little more user friendly than the old 300, 400 and, 500 series. I know the 300 is pretty much dead as far software upgrades. How long before the 400/500 going be left out in the cold, who knows. If money isn't a major factor. I think the 600's are well worth a close look.

The 400 or at least the 400t is already out in the cold. My off/on switch rubber cover failed and garmin tells me they no longer support this model. I grant you it is several years old but you can't tell me they no longer use the same component in later models. I now use the eraser on a pencil to turn the unit on or off and dont go into wet environments.