GPS malfunction?

Twice lately, in the past month or so, when I download caches from a query I did not get all of them in my GPS. It is an Magellan Explorist 500. The first time it happened was in Yuma when I download some to go cacheing with some new friends. My GPS had none of the ones we were looking for in the area. Embarassing. Second time was in Bullhead City. I wanted to find the one along a particular road where I could see them on the geo-cacheing map but the query of the area, with the right D/T level, still did not have those loaded in my GPS. . It had others so I know I am getting some but not the ones I want. Is it time for a new 'toy'? This one is 7+ years old.

summerwinter

Twice lately, in the past month or so, when I download caches from a query I did not get all of them in my GPS. It is an Magellan Explorist 500. The first time it happened was in Yuma when I download some to go cacheing with some new friends. My GPS had none of the ones we were looking for in the area. Embarassing. Second time was in Bullhead City. I wanted to find the one along a particular road where I could see them on the geo-cacheing map but the query of the area, with the right D/T level, still did not have those loaded in my GPS. . It had others so I know I am getting some but not the ones I want. Is it time for a new 'toy'? This one is 7+ years old.

summerwinter

I've had this happen a few times for me.

On some occasions it turned out my GPS was full. I didn't think it should be; it used to hold more caches I was sure, but it was full.

I used to put a whole lot more caches in it and even though I clear out the tracks and waypoints regularly, it doesn't seem to hold as many as it used to. Perhaps it's just my imagination and I thought it used to hold more.

Anyway, I would make sure you delete other pocket queries before loading your GPS, even if you think there's a lot of room on it.

The other problem I had was simply not waiting long enough for the pocket query to load. It would look like it was done, and my other GPS's only take a few seconds to load, but once again my oldest GPS seems to need an extra few seconds at least, to load all of the query.

I'm using Easy GPS to load mine, I don't know how you're doing it. But now I hit "send to GPS" and then after it appears done I count slowly to ten, or walk away and get a drink or something. Then I check it on the computer to see how big the query was that loaded. If all my queries are 500 caches then all of them on my machine should be about the same size. If the one I just loaded is significantly smaller, then something is wrong. Go back, delete it and others not needed and start again.

Since I've been watching those two things I haven't been having that problem.

Since then I also bought a new one. Now I can hold 2 GPS's worth of queries. :)

But the new one has a screen I can safely use in the car too. On my old GPS it was so hard to see the screen, I figured it was worth the money for a new GPS to not wreck my car by trying to see that dang screen while I was driving.

you can only load 200 caches to a explorists 500 file but you can load as many files as your memory will hold, hopefully on an SD card. Sometimes when loading 200 caches it will drop out a few, when I was using mine I'd load 195 per file then change files an load another 195, I have a 2gig sd card in mine

summerwinter

This may have nothing whatsoever to do with your problem, as I'm still using an old Garmin Etrex-H (which I like and hope it never dies). BUT, when I download caches into it, the cache names get scrunched down to a six-character approximation, and I've found from painful experience that similar cache names sometimes generate the same six characters and my ETrex won't take the same combination a second time. For example, if someone places "Christmas Cache Special Good Hide #1" and "Christmas Cache Special Good Hide #2," both of them may "translate" to CHCSGH, so the first one will load and the second one won't. I have to be alert for that and modify the cache names in my pre-download program (I use EasyGPS) to give them distinctive names. You might want to investigate whether this is what's going on with your Magellan.

you can only load 200 caches to a explorists 500 file but you can load as many files as your memory will hold, hopefully on an SD card. Sometimes when loading 200 caches it will drop out a few, when I was using mine I'd load 195 per file then change files an load another 195, I have a 2gig sd card in mine

The 200 geocache limit requires a lot of extra effort. If you have too many in your PQ, not all will load. I'm not sure how it decides which ones to exclude, but it is usually ones that you need. If you use GSAK, there are macros that will break a large group of caches into eXplorist friendly files.

EDITED: I confused my eXplorist 500 with my Triton 500. The eXplorist died years ago, but I still use the Triton every now and then. The Triton will only load 1000 total points, including regular waypoints, geocaches, and child waypoints.

Edited by fishgeek

I have no idea if this will help, but I'll throw it in. With my ancient Etrex-H and EasyGPS software, the software scrunches the cache name down to six characters, which sometimes creates duplicates. Then, when I send them to the Etrex, it takes the first and rejects the rest as duplicates. You'll have to investigate your own particular GPS/software combination, but there's a starting point for finding the problem.

The 200 geocache limit requires a lot of extra effort. If you have too many in your PQ, not all will load. I'm not sure how it decides which ones to exclude, but it is usually ones that you need. If you use GSAK, there are macros that will break a large group of caches into eXplorist friendly files.

EDITED: I confused my eXplorist 500 with my Triton 500. The eXplorist died years ago, but I still use the Triton every now and then. The Triton will only load 1000 total points, including regular waypoints, geocaches, and child waypoints.

When I was still using mine I'd limit my PQs to 195, the PQs would be for my area in so cal.

If I was on a trip I'd do PQs every night