Cache care etiquette

Beyondthesolstafir

Hello all :)

Firstly I'm very new with only a few Caches under the belt but just wanted to ask some advice of cache owners please.

On my travels this far I've found a few very wet logs / full nano logs and I've felt awful fitting on a sign and then moving on. When I write up the logs I tend to make slight reference to the fact but privately message the CO to apologise for not having a spare log (been ordered) and the current situation with theirs. Ending with if I can help in any way to get in touch as I'm conscious CO may not be in area or may have many caches.

My main question is, is this best? Or do ppl tend to replace logs as they find them and send the others on?

Small caches / micro not so bad as I can always put but more paper in but nanos?

Hate to think that I'm getting a find and not caring about what I leave behind.

Would be keen to hear your thoughts.

Happy Cachin

I carry a couple sizes of log sheets printed on Rite in the Rain weatherproof paper. When the existing log has been full or unusable, I've added another log sheet. But I wouldn't remove the existing log sheet. For blinkers and small Bison tubes with no room for an additional log sheet, I fit my signature in somewhere and let the CO know that it needs a new log.

I also carry a few other repair items (e.g., O-rings in various sizes, a small roll of duct tape). I make small repairs as a favor to the cache owner, but I avoid taking over the maintenance of a cache or prolonging the death of an abandoned, neglected cache.

privately message the CO to apologise for not having a spare log (been ordered) and the current situation with theirs.

Why would you apologize. Would you apologize when my car needs an oil change, and you don't have any oil? It's not your responsibility to take care of other peoples caches. Yest, it's nice, and lots of people do it, but you don't have to. I personally will only replace logs in my home territory, and some cachers have returned the favour, but I don't expect them to. And honestly if the log is full, and it's been mentioned on the cache page, I'd write over the names if I had to.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Nice to see a new cacher who cares about the health and well being of the game.

I to carry some extra supplies around with me to help out other cachers. Adding a new log is always a nice thing to do and is almost always appreciated by the cache owner. I have come across situations where I can't replace the old log without removing it. In that case I do take the old log with me.

When I get home I make sure to contact the cache owner and tell them what I did and offer to return the original log to them. Most times I can simply drop it in the mail. More commonly I find that the cache owner is not active anymore and the log would have never been replaced if I hadn't replaced it.

More commonly I find that the cache owner is not active anymore and the log would have never been replaced if I hadn't replaced it.

More or less every full, soaking wet log cache had an Owner who lost interest in that cache (or moved on, whatever, just isn't available). In that case, if it's not a great container in a great spot, consider if it's time to allow that cache to go away. Someone who changes cache logs and fixes the container might be good as the Cache Owner of a new cache there.

More commonly I find that the cache owner is not active anymore and the log would have never been replaced if I hadn't replaced it.

More or less every full, soaking wet log cache had an Owner who lost interest in that cache (or moved on, whatever, just isn't available). In that case, if it's not a great container in a great spot, consider if it's time to allow that cache to go away. Someone who changes cache logs and fixes the container might be good as the Cache Owner of a new cache there.

My sentiments too. I will help out a cache whose owner is active and cares about their caches. Putting some paper in the cache to tide it over for a month helps. Wiping down a container in good shape that didn't have the lid put back on properly saves the CO an unnecessary trip. Putting a logsheet in a cache that is already falling apart and hasn't been maintained by the CO despite logs that mention the condition, gets an Needs Maintenance log from me. Then I put a watch on the cache and in about a month I'll post an Needs Archive. This either gets the COs attention or the cache ends up archived by the reviewer and the area opens up for an active cache owner who will hopefully do the right thing and maintain their property.

Fixing an abandoned cache makes the fixer not much better then the defunct owner - they too abandon the cache, never to come back when the next report comes in that the cache needs attention.

Nice to see a new cacher who cares about the health and well being of the game.

I to carry some extra supplies around with me to help out other cachers. Adding a new log is always a nice thing to do and is almost always appreciated by the cache owner. I have come across situations where I can't replace the old log without removing it. In that case I do take the old log with me.

When I get home I make sure to contact the cache owner and tell them what I did and offer to return the original log to them. Most times I can simply drop it in the mail. More commonly I find that the cache owner is not active anymore and the log would have never been replaced if I hadn't replaced it.

+1.

Yep like in everything in life it all depends. If it is a active CO I have no problem switching out the logs, especially if I know them. I can always take a pic and send it to them. If I don't know them I can look up there history and see if they are still active. If it appears they are not taking care of the cache I will just leave it and post a note about it. I know we are active and would be happy if someone changed out a full log to save us the trip. We will do it but some help sometimes is nice. Just do what you are comfortable with and what you have on hand. If you don't have something to replace it with don't feel bad at all it is not your cache to worry about.

My sentiments too. I will help out a cache whose owner is active and cares about their caches. Putting some paper in the cache to tide it over for a month helps. Wiping down a container in good shape that didn't have the lid put back on properly saves the CO an unnecessary trip. Putting a logsheet in a cache that is already falling apart and hasn't been maintained by the CO despite logs that mention the condition, gets an Needs Maintenance log from me. Then I put a watch on the cache and in about a month I'll post an Needs Archive. This either gets the COs attention or the cache ends up archived by the reviewer and the area opens up for an active cache owner who will hopefully do the right thing and maintain their property.

Fixing an abandoned cache makes the fixer not much better then the defunct owner - they too abandon the cache, never to come back when the next report comes in that the cache needs attention.

I don't quite agree with the last sentence here. Often times a cacher in the field doesn't have the ability to check to see if a cache owner is active or not. I would replace the log if for no other reason than the next cacher won't have to deal with a full or wet log. Leaving a broken, wet cache just doesn't make any sense to me.

I do agree that many of these abandoned caches need to be archived so that these areas can be opened up for new caches. That being said you should always leave a "Needs Maintenance" log if you determine the cache is no longer being maintained.

I don't quite agree with the last sentence here. Often times a cacher in the field doesn't have the ability to check to see if a cache owner is active or not. I would replace the log if for no other reason than the next cacher won't have to deal with a full or wet log. Leaving a broken, wet cache just doesn't make any sense to me.

I do agree that many of these abandoned caches need to be archived so that these areas can be opened up for new caches. That being said you should always leave a "Needs Maintenance" log if you determine the cache is no longer being maintained.

I think you should leave a "Needs Maintenance" log if the cache needs maintenance (of any kind). If the cache is no longer being maintained, "Needs Archived" would be the log to use.

Here's an example:

a797addb-b2ab-478a-8bd7-533c500730ca.jpg

The cache owner is quite active, but not a big believer in cache maintenance. Someone put in a new logsheet in this moldy cache. Now the CO is even less likely to go maintain the cache.

The cache owner is quite active, but not a big believer in cache maintenance. Someone put in a new logsheet in this moldy cache. Now the CO is even less likely to go maintain the cache.

True. It's a bad idea to encourage/perpetuate that. Often there's already a "replacement sheet" when I find one of those, or at least a way to dry the existing one enough to sign it. Only in a special situation will I fix it up. Add that extra slip of log paper, and the nasty stuff is even nastier for the next finder.

For the first cache soup I ever found, I logged Needs Maintenance only. Later I found out "NM" doesn't cause a "Found It" log (who knew, I was new). I never did log a Found It. I'd prefer to never even have to think about it again. :yikes:

I recently found a magnetic nano cache with a full log> I replaced the log and when I got home looked up the owner and found that they had not been onsite for 6 months and were kids who had been here on holiday. I sent them a message telling them what I had done and offered to take over the caches they had put out in my area. Never even got a reply. Will not do it again.

If it's a cache by a serial hider but non-maintainer or a cacher who's been absent from the game for a good few months, or what is in my opinion a bad hide, then I'll do nothing and not hesitate to log a 'need maintenance'. If it's a cache by an active cacher or one who's got a lot of caches out and is generally usually one to carry out maintenance pretty soon after becoming aware of the need for it, then I'll carry out basic maintenance if it's worth it and will last (i.e. no good replacing a log in a knackered cache container), otherwise I'll still post a 'need maintenance' to let them know that some CO attention is required. Sometimes I'll contact this sort of CO ahead of doing one of their circuits/series to offer maintenance, even if it's not apparent from the listings that any is actually needed.

I recently found a magnetic nano cache with a full log> I replaced the log and when I got home looked up the owner and found that they had not been onsite for 6 months and were kids who had been here on holiday. I sent them a message telling them what I had done and offered to take over the caches they had put out in my area. Never even got a reply. Will not do it again.

Still I believe what you did was good.....future seekers will be able to log the cache for another year or two.

Don't let that put you off contacting them, some CO's might really need your help with maintenance, you will get some people who never reply but I have seen stories where people have not cached since 2001 and come back! So there is always a chance they will reply, and let you adopt the cache to make the community happy!