Multi cache requiring a smart phone

If you found a bar code or QR code, you could have taken a picture of it, or even a tracing, then gone home and used an online decoder to get the information from that code.

In the days of geocaching before smartphones, this notion had a run as a modestly common technique; listed as Unknown/Mystery type.

Now, many with smartphones simply field decrypt.

You can still find that cache, but it's going to take a couple of trips.

edit to add that listing is PMO, for any who'd prefer not to show up on the audit log.

It's listed as Multi-cache, and the title is, "Is your phone smart enough?"

Edited by palmetto

Given the cache title, and description:

Is your phone smart enough?

Geocache Description:

The cache is in a parking lot where there are plenty of muggles at certain times of the day. Be careful to avoid being seen.

We thought we'd update geocaching to modern technology. The only hint is in the title. The second stage is just a short distance away. Although both stages are available 24/7, they are harder to do at night.

You don't HAVE to go for it...

And you don't necessarily need a smart phone to read bar codes...

Photograph it, go home and use a computer, go and find next stage.

(OK, not quick, but I've done multi's in several stages)

Yesterday I looked for a multi cache and found the second part required a smart phone to find.

(GC4ZNJJ) Is this the new caching method and do I now need to buy a smart phone for multis?

Unfortunately Groundspeak seems to have pivoted towards the smart phone. It used to be a game for gps enthusiasts but I'm guessing that the sheer amount of smart phones is probably where they think they'll see the most income. You're probably better off giving in and getting a new phone because they obviously have no intention of removing those free apps.

Yesterday I looked for a multi cache and found the second part required a smart phone to find.

(GC4ZNJJ) Is this the new caching method and do I now need to buy a smart phone for multis?

Unfortunately Groundspeak seems to have pivoted towards the smart phone. It used to be a game for gps enthusiasts but I'm guessing that the sheer amount of smart phones is probably where they think they'll see the most income. You're probably better off giving in and getting a new phone because they obviously have no intention of removing those free apps.

I would probably give up this game before I wasted money on a smart phone.

I have no problem with a cache needing to use one, but would be quite upset to get to the middle of a multi, and find I either need to have a smart phone, or go back home to figure it out.

One of the reason I rarely do a multi.

Thanks for the heads-up. From now on I will not start a multi unless I'm willing to have to come back another time to finish it. (Actually, I've pretty much looked at multis that way since I started caching. There was one 7-stage multi that I think took me at least 8 trips to finish--one of the stages kept going missing.)

Around here that would be marked as an unknown cache because there's more to it that standard multicache techniques. And COs are typically less subtle about what kind of equipment is needed. Still, in this case it shouldn't be that much of a surprise what's required, so while I might be a little peeved if I only discovered what was up when I got to GZ, I'd forgive the CO for tricking me into trying something I couldn't accomplish in a single trip. Actually, it sounds like in this case, I would have understood the restriction and not even tried it, which would have been too bad since that technique isn't too hard with multiple trips.

There's one of those about 60 miles from here, and I've done 2 stages so far in the two times I've been there to capture the picture for home decoding. In that cache description, they aren't coy about what's required and, in fact, the cache starts by decoding one at home so you can make sure you've got the technology sorted out before you go into the field.

Since the title asks about whether your smartphone is smart enough, there can be little surprise that some form of a smartphone is required. It reminds me of caches that vaguely state that some kind of TOTT is required. Is my phone smart enough or does the cache use certain technology (such as NFC) that my phone does not support? I probably would not be curious enough to find out about that, any more than I am curious enough to guess what TOTT might be required. But I suppose the good news is that it's only a drive to a parking lot in any event.

Thanks for the heads-up. From now on I will not start a multi unless I'm willing to have to come back another time to finish it.

Meh. I know that, for any cache, there's a fair chance I won't be able to find it. A multi's with a surprise requirement I cannot satisfy is no more of a concern for me than a hide that's too hard or a cache that's missing. I see no reason not to try just because there's a chance something unforeseen will make me fail.

Thanks Bamboozle. I knew that having a smart phone would be helpful, but nowhere did the listing say it was required to do the cache. I think posting that information should have been a basic part of the description.

From the cache page:

Geocache Description:

The cache is in a parking lot where there are plenty of muggles at certain times of the day. Be careful to avoid being seen.

We thought we'd update geocaching to modern technology. The only hint is in the title. The second stage is just a short distance away. Although both stages are available 24/7, they are harder to do at night.

OK, it's a subtle hint, but it is there...

(And it's a D3 cache)

Edited by Bear and Ragged

What ALR?

An ALR is something you have to do in addition to finding the cache and signing the log. Intercaches and other smartphone-based multi-caches incorporate the smartphone use into finding the cache. There is no ALR.

IIRC, chirp-based caches need to be listed as mystery/puzzle caches unless there is a way to complete them without a chirp-capable device. This might not be a bad approach with Intercaches and other smartphone-based multi-stage caches.

I still think because of the ALR it should be a puzzle cache and not a standard multi. That said, on high Terrain caches climbing gear or a boat may be required but the description tells you this.

I agree it should be listed as a puzzle. However, it's not ALR. That refers to logging requirements.

The cache in question requires a special tool, no different than requiring a screwdriver or scuba gear.

Thanks Bamboozle. I knew that having a smart phone would be helpful, but nowhere did the listing say it was required to do the cache. I think posting that information should have been a basic part of the description.

From the cache page:

Geocache Description:

OK, it's a subtle hint, but it is there...

(And it's a D3 cache)

It's a subtle admission that they have no permission for the cache to be in this parking lot, nor invite people on the internet to find it "24/7", but it is there... Sorry, couldn't resist. :P

I've seen a few of these. I have a smartphone, and have done one. They obviously need to do a better job of explaining a smartphone is not required. However, in this case, they probably don't even know that themselves.

Edited by Mr.Yuck