Letterbox Hybrid

colleda

I have found a couple of Letter Boxes & one LBhybrid that had a stack of 3X5 notecards which had a hole in the corner and all of them were on a binder ring. Not as elegant as a book, but it served the purpose of a ledger for the stamps. And it was easier than holding open some journal-style books.

I have found a couple of Letter Boxes & one LBhybrid that had a stack of 3X5 notecards which had a hole in the corner and all of them were on a binder ring. Not as elegant as a book, but it served the purpose of a ledger for the stamps. And it was easier than holding open some journal-style books.

Wait...what? The LBH had a book in it for you to stamp. The LBH also had the stamp in it. Is this correct? Because if it is, I don't think you-or the CO's have been doing them correct. I thought it was the person looking for the LBH that provided the book, and the stamp was in the LBH.

Wait...what? The LBH had a book in it for you to stamp. The LBH also had the stamp in it. Is this correct? Because if it is, I don't think you-or the CO's have been doing them correct. I thought it was the person looking for the LBH that provided the book, and the stamp was in the LBH.

Most LBH I've found had a book and a stamp in it.

You ink your design/sig stamp in the LBH's book and use their stamp to ink in yours.

You stamp the LB's book with your personal stamp, and you also stamp your personal book with the LB's stamp, if I'm not mistaken. I've found a couple of LB hybrids (most recently, yesterday) but just signed the book and logged them like any Traditional cache. I don't carry a stamp or a Letterboxing book. Letterboxing isn't that common around here.

Letterboxing is a two way street.

You collect the imprints of the stamps in the boxes that you find in a book that you carry with you.

The letterbox collects the imprints of the stamps of all of the visitors to the letterbox.

So, you carry your personal stamp and stamp the book in the letterbox. You carry your personal book and stamp your book with the stamp that is in the letterbox.

You should also carry your own ink pad.

If either stamp comes from the stamp section at Michael's then the game just gets much less interesting. Collecting and giving the stamp imprints of home made custom stamps is what makes the whole enterprise worthwhile.

Edited by fbingha

Letterboxing is a two way street.

You collect the imprints of the stamps in the boxes that you find in a book that you carry with you.

The letterbox collects the imprints of the stamps of all of the visitors to the letterbox.

So, you carry your personal stamp and stamp the book in the letterbox. You carry your personal book and stamp your book with the stamp that is in the letterbox.

You should also carry your own ink pad.

If either stamp comes from the stamp section at Michael's then the game just gets much less interesting. Collecting and giving the stamp imprints of home made custom stamps is what makes the whole enterprise worthwhile.

Actually, very few visitors stamp my book. (Less than 1 in 20?) Than again, my letterbox hybrid is a micro. Though I don't think that makes much difference. Most geocachers do not carry letterbox stamps with them.

My log book has 60 (small) pages, and fits inside an MKH. My hand-made stamp is in another MKH a few inches away. (Not everyone can find both.) But only the letterboxers are interested in the stamp. As far as I know, it is the only letterbox hybrid in NYC. It has had 442 finds and 45 favorite points in the six years that it has been there. Yes, I do have to replace the logbook a few times a year.

Thank you so much for posting this. Yesterday, I just started to really learn more about letterboxing & sounds like something I would like & enjoy. Clarification was great too.

I started letterboxing a few months ago and almost prefer it to geocaching, but I do both at the same time. If you haven't done it yet, check out atlasquest.com.