Which GPS?

dutman72

I'm a newbie to the world of geocaching and thinking of buying a handheld gps device (surely will be more accurate than my adnroid phone). I am working on a budget and have been looking at the Garmin Ex10 or Magellan 110.........However, I now like the look of Garmin Etrex Venture HC but need to know if this supports paperless caching?

That's simply not true ...

... the user has already said he's on a budget and a 3 axis compass is not only unneccessary but it also brings along its own problems.

What exactly are you saying "isn't true*?

We started caching with an iphone that has a 3 axis compass. My husband and I bought an Explorist and used it for one week. We HATED it because it didn't have 3 axis compass. We sold it immediately.

I've never had any problems with a 3 axis compass on any units.

If you do your research, shop around, and even consider buying USED units - it'll be in the budget.

Edited by Lieblweb

I found thousands of caches using the Garmin 60csx or the Colorado 300 and the two axis compass on those units never bothered me. Perhaps the lack of an electronic compass, which the Venture HC does not have would be more of a consideration if you don't want to be moving in order to get your bearings. But I also cached just fine when I used units without it.

Paperless features are nice for a quick hint or a short look at the logs - your phone might be easier for longer descriptions. Read reviews on this site or others to get a consensus - or if you can go into a store to get a feel for the unit that is a good idea. We all will have different opinions but the OP's is the only one that counts.

Edited by geodarts

Etrex 20 is ok.

If you want a 3 axis compass then go out and buy a real compass...

...because the Garmin electronic compass is just bug ridden rubbish! :P

The need for an electronic compass differs from people to people and the application used.

A 'real' compass IS better, only it doesn't show the direction to the cache and that's why people suggest a 3 axes compass in the Gps.

As a beginner it's important to know that the Gps will almost never bring you exactly to the cache, the last couple of yards you have to search most of the time, with or without 3 ax compass.

Edited by splashy

You don't need a 3 axis compass and you don't need an SD card for geocaching. Nice to have perhaps, but neither one of those things will help you find a geocache better.

You will want a unit that is geocache friendly, almost all new units made today are that. You will probably want mapping and the only unit in production I can think of that doesn't have mapping is the Etrex 10.

As others have said, the Venture HC does not support paperless caching and has a whole lot of limitations like very limited memory for maps. It's a good unit, good accuracy, just dated and out of production.

The Oregon 450 is a great value now since they are going out of production and very highly recommended here.

The bit about 'make sure you have a 3 axis compass' ... many folks, myself included, don't have one and don't want one ... the OP doesn't need to have one and whether new or second hand pushes up the price.

As for problems, just scan this forum and others ...

I simply said....in my earlier post... Since the user is already using a 3 axis compass on his/her smart phone - that they'll probably NOT enjoy a GPS that doesn't have one. Simple as that. Something for the OP to be aware of.

I have NEVER heard of or had any problems with 3 axis compass on any of our 2 iphones, or our 2 handheld GPS's.

Have you ever used a 3 axis compass??

Edited by Lieblweb

Etrex 20 is ok.

If you want a 3 axis compass then go out and buy a real compass...

...because the Garmin electronic compass is just bug ridden rubbish! :P

It has nothing to do with a North-South Compass....its having the luxury of a pointer that always points at the cache you're looking for even if you are moving too slowly for the old type gps/sat pointer to work.

Folks, there are many, many places in the U.S. ( and also Europe )where it is hard to walk at all ( rocks, heavy overgrowth, etc )much less rapidly.

Garmin compasses on the Oregon and 62 series are now working fine....the Etrex 30 is kind of new and may still have software issues.

I simply said....in my earlier post... Since the user is already using a 3 axis compass on his/her smart phone - that they'll probably NOT enjoy a GPS that doesn't have one. Simple as that. Something for the OP to be aware of.

That's not what you said though :) and as I and others have posted it isn't necessary to have a 3 axis compass to geocache successfully, and for a user on a budget like the OP stated, there is no need for him to (as you stated) "make sure it has a 3 axis compass".

Even though I have a 3 axis compass on my phone I still prefer my Etrex 20, without one, for caching and hiking.

As for problems, you must be extremely lucky ... there are tales of problems scattered throughout this and other forums, including one comment only 3 above your post :rolleyes:

Hey Sussamp, you know where this ones going . :D

I love your posts and have learned a lot from them but we are at odds here.

Let me ask a question so I can try to understand :

Which GPS units have you cached with ?

I started with the Etrex line and on advice from this forum in 2003 I bought a Magellan Meridian Platinum...an amazing, amazing unit even by todays standards and it had a smooth, perfect 3-axis cache pointer ( if you say compass folks get confused ) Once I started using a unit with the 3 axis pointer I never, ever wanted to go back to doing the drunk walk around GZ ( in addition to the Etrex I have about a dozen Magellans and Garmins without the 3 axis pointer.)

I still feel that anyone who has cached any length of time with a gps with good 3 axis pointer would never want to go back to a gps without one....I've met hundreds that say the same thing.

Newer Garmin units always have software bugs and many features get a bad rap because of it.

[A 3axis gps] has nothing to do with a North-South Compass....its having the luxury of a pointer that always points at the cache you're looking for even if you are moving too slowly for the old type gps/sat pointer to work.

The advantage of a three axial compass is that you do not have to hold the unit level. The electronic compass on the 60csx or the Garmin Colorado certainly got a lot of us to the caches without either being a 3 axial unit.

Without an electronic compass you will have to be moving, but this was never a make or break feature in my decision. I cached fine without one - particularly because I generally put the unit down when I stop moving and am ready to look for a cache.

An electronic compass is nice to have though, all else being equal - I never have had problems with one - but the difference with a three axis unit is not significant in my experience.

Edited by geodarts

As for problems, you must be extremely lucky ... there are tales of problems scattered throughout this and other forums, including one comment only 3 above your post :rolleyes:

For the sake of the OP and anyone else reading this thread in the future.... Give us some examples of exactly what these 'problems' are. Links.... what to look for...Why? When? Troubleshooting? Research? Brand, model #, etc.

It's far too easy to say a unit is 'garbage'. But trying to get people to explain WHY. Without that type of information, the feedback is useless.

Edited by Lieblweb

For the sake of the OP and anyone else reading this thread in the future.... Give us some examples of exactly what these 'problems' are. Links.... what to look for...Why? When? Troubleshooting? Research? Brand, model #, etc.

It's far too easy to say a unit is 'garbage'. But trying to get people to explain WHY. Without that type of information, the feedback is useless.

The electronic compass debate started over 10 years ago. One of the first units to have a 3-axis pointer was the Magellan Meridian Platinum. IMO it is the smoothest and best ever made and those of us that owned them back in the day couldn't understand the anti compass posts in the forums. It turns out Garmin had PLENTY of problems. First they introduced the 60 series which had a 2-axis compass that could be quirky ( it may decide to swing 180 deg )....many of us could be seen on the trail twirling our 60's in our palms re calibrating. Then they introduced the Oregon,s , 62 series, etc. It took years of software updates to get these compasses to where they are now....I think the Etrex 30 may still have issues, I'm not sure. In conclusion, until just a couple of years ago unless you were using a Platinum you were having electronic compass issues.

Currently the 60 does reasonable good and the 450 and 62 series are smooth and a joy to use.

Thanks for the advice guys. I've upped my budget a little and searching the second hand market. I've decided on either a Dakota 20 or an etrex20 (maybe 30). Just waiting to find one at the right price now.

I'm going to buy the Dakota 20 as seems to have all required for my needs including that compass.

REI has the GPSMAP 62S on sale for $199 right now, and Amazon has been running the Oregon 450 at about $175. Both are great units, and both are very good deals.

It has nothing to do with a North-South Compass....its having the luxury of a pointer that always points at the cache you're looking for even if you are moving too slowly for the old type gps/sat pointer to work.

Folks, there are many, many places in the U.S. ( and also Europe )where it is hard to walk at all ( rocks, heavy overgrowth, etc )much less rapidly.

+1. Welcome to Colorado west of the Front Range. Having a pointer that keeps me honest when I'm necessarily moving too slowly (or stopped entirely to figure out how I'm even going to get where I'm going!) has been VERY much appreciated. Without an electronic compass (3 axis is nicer, 2 axis works if you can keep things level) you've got to keep moving at a good clip -- the GPS firmware is pointing that compass based upon your direction of travel vs. the position of the cache. Stop or slow down too much, and it has NO idea which way your unit is pointing, and cannot therefore point the arrow to the cache.

I am so new at this..loving it. Right now I am using my phone but would like to use a handheld gps. Reading this I am a little confused.. I do realize that everyone has their own opinion but after doing a little research I keep going back to the extrex 20. I do not want to go cheap but do not want to spend a fortune. What are your thoughts ?

I am so new at this..loving it. Right now I am using my phone but would like to use a handheld gps. Reading this I am a little confused.. I do realize that everyone has their own opinion but after doing a little research I keep going back to the extrex 20. I do not want to go cheap but do not want to spend a fortune. What are your thoughts ?

For $199 at REI get a Garmin 62S .

The eTrex 20 is a good starter unit in my opinion. I've been using one for almost 2 years now and quite happy with it overall.

Since you are in Canada, watch for some Black Friday deals from gpscity.ca on November 29th.

You may be able to get a better unit for the same money.

I saw that in the catalog. As if on queue, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I showed her the page. Full price I wasn't interested but for $199, tough to pass up. A small box arrived from REI yesterday addressed to my wife. Hmmmm, I wonder what's in it.

Edited by briansnat

I saw that in the catalog. As if on queue, my wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I showed her the page. Full price I wasn't interested but for $199, tough to pass up. A small box arrived from REI yesterday addressed to my wife. Hmmmm, I wonder what's in it.

You're going to love it.

I got the CN 2014 North America yesterday I bought on Ebay.....put the card in and all works fine.....original factory packaging for $21. A local cacher just ordered one for $17 ( there are a couple of locals who have ordered the 62S, REI must be getting hammered.)

Regarding the Ebay map card....when I check my unit maps the card map reads in large print WEST ALASKA and below in smaller print City Nav 2014.30 North America where my older card read only City Nav 2012.20 North America.....I checked and the whole U.S. in detail is on the new card.....I don't get the WEST ALASKA title.

Anyway, all is good and almost $50 savings getting the card on Ebay.