errors on Website

taybee

I've come across this before. Are you viewing in IE? You may be viewing in 'compatibility mode'. In the address bar, look for an icon like a piece of paper torn in half. Click that and see if it's any different.

have try in IE , FireFox, opera and chrome all doing the same

Had a similar problem independently whether I use Chrome or Firefox as browser.

1. Neither small nor larger map is shown in the description

2. Cannot decrypt the hint. Klicking on Hints a message pops up as feedback from geocaching.com “ReferenceError: $ is not defined”.

3. For the logs I can only see: xx logged Visits with “View Logbook” to click. Doing so a new page pops up with info to “All Logs”, “Your Logs” and “Your Friends Logs” – but nothing happens it I click on one of them. I have never seen this page before.

4. Cannot enter any tracking code for a trackable and retrieve it.

Checked my Java Runtime Environment and noticed two Platforms (1.6 and 1.7) being active. Deactivated 1.6 and all the problems are solved. :)

Had a similar problem independently whether I use Chrome or Firefox as browser.

1. Neither small nor larger map is shown in the description

2. Cannot decrypt the hint. Klicking on Hints a message pops up as feedback from geocaching.com "ReferenceError: $ is not defined".

3. For the logs I can only see: xx logged Visits with "View Logbook" to click. Doing so a new page pops up with info to "All Logs", "Your Logs" and "Your Friends Logs" – but nothing happens it I click on one of them. I have never seen this page before.

4. Cannot enter any tracking code for a trackable and retrieve it.

Checked my Java Runtime Environment and noticed two Platforms (1.6 and 1.7) being active. Deactivated 1.6 and all the problems are solved. :)

How do you Deactivated the java runtime environment ?

Have Java 7 update 25 and java6 update 37 running

i take it i have to deactivated the Java6

thanks for you help

I'm having problems on Chrome and Firefox.. IE is showing all the logs and maps but IE is way to slow for my liking, so I hope there is a fix. There didn't seem to be any issues with my Java, and trying the above suggestions didn't help at least not on Chrome. Haven't tried tinkering with firefox.

A reminder to everyone: Java has nothing whatsoever to do with the Geocaching Web site or problems you might be having with it. Your JavaScript settings, on the other hand, might be the problem.

Java and JavaScript are two entirely different technologies. You need JavaScript to be active on your PC to use the Geocaching Web site. You don't need Java, at least not on this site.

I haven't had Java installed on any PC I've owned for the last five years, yet the Geocaching Web site looks fine and works fine on this PC in both Firefox and Internet Explorer (running Windows 7).

For more information, see this explanation on the Java Web site:

How is JavaScript different from Java?

One of the worst mistakes ever made in the history of computing was the naming of JavaScript. It has confused legions of PC users since it was developed in the mid-1990s.

--Larry

A reminder to everyone: Java has nothing whatsoever to do with the Geocaching Web site or problems you might be having with it. Your JavaScript settings, on the other hand, might be the problem.

I agree with you. My initially described problems are not solved. Sporadically they are coming back and I do not have a solution :mad:

I agree with you. My initially described problems are not solved. Sporadically they are coming back and I do not have a solution :mad:

It's perfectly possible that this is a server-side problem, and will have to be resolved by the programmers at Groundspeak.

--Larry

I still can't:

• use the Hide n Seek page,
  • can't see the online logs and
  • can't use Personal Notes on Firefox or Chrome (or Safari for Windows)

Is there something I can do? Am I going to need to buy a Mac in order to use geocaching.com?

FYI

I googled javascript help and found this information...

http://www.enable-javascript.com/

I followed the instructions...my browser had >>> allow sites to ask to become default handlers for protocols (recommended) checked off.

It's been 4 days and I still have the same problem with my Samsung laptop. I tried different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari for Windows, Opera) and all have the same problem.....no map views on the cache page, no logs, can't use the personal notes section. I checked the settings on Chrome - there's a tools>javascript console setting. I tried it and here's a screenshot of the results. I hope this helps someone that's more tech savvy then me figure out what the problem is:

673b01c6-7c3c-4cbf-9cf3-670058320ab5.png?rnd=0.6739924

I'm having the exactly the same issue — it happens with Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. For a while the GC website runs fine, and then, snap... logs, map, PQs, etc, all disappear, as others have described. Usually, when I totally shut down the computer and bring it back up, the site is okay again... for a while. Clearly, this is not just an issue with a few users and their own computer settings. I did first notice this occurring about the same time as a very large automatic Windows update. Whether that has any bearing on the problem, I do not know. Also — GC.com seems to be the only site affected. I haven't seen any other Javascript issues on other sites.

Edited by Damned Rodan

Howdy......

I have been having the same problems as the rest of you.

I have tried a few different things...no luck so far......

Tomorrow my computer is going in 'the shop'with a printout

of this fourm and let them figure it out!

Vern / Foothills Drifter... :blink:

I'm having the exactly the same issue — it happens with Firefox, Chrome, and Internet Explorer. For a while the GC website runs fine, and then, snap... logs, map, PQs, etc, all disappear, as others have described. Usually, when I totally shut down the computer and bring it back up, the site is okay again... for a while. Clearly, this is not just an issue with a few users and their own computer settings. I did first notice this occurring about the same time as a very large automatic Windows update. Whether that has any bearing on the problem, I do not know. Also — GC.com seems to be the only site affected. I haven't seen any other Javascript issues on other sites.

It's been 4 days and I still have the same problem with my Samsung laptop. I tried different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari for Windows, Opera) and all have the same problem.....no map views on the cache page, no logs, can't use the personal notes section. I checked the settings on Chrome - there's a tools>javascript console setting. I tried it and here's a screenshot of the results. I hope this helps someone that's more tech savvy then me figure out what the problem is:

673b01c6-7c3c-4cbf-9cf3-670058320ab5.png?rnd=0.6739924

And here's a screenshot of the Javascript Console at work where the Geocaching site is working fine for me (notice the console is blank - no error messages):

96ba859d-1bb6-47b9-9f14-bf39137d11af.jpg

I still have the problems mentioned by others, before.

I tried all possible solutions on this forum and the other forumpage on this subject.

All other tips are still welcome. Ma cache has several 'not found's the last few days. I need to put it under maintenance very quickly.