Terrain 5 Event?

Adventure.AS

I have a couple of urban Terrain 5 caches (boat required) nearby with a few finds (most by inventive seekers.) As the boating season is quickly coming to an end here in Toronto on Lake Ontario would it be appropriate for me to run an event to discuss general urban geocaching issues over a burger and beverages and as a bonus provide transport for local geocachers to these caches in my boat so that they can fill in a couple of T5s in their grids if they wish? Or, would this be de-valuing the efforts made by the previous finders?

Cachers could also bring their own canoe or kayak and launch from the event location. There are also plenty of other caches nearby for people to find after the event and/or while waiting their turn in the boat.

Mimico Harbour Island D3 T5

The Gazebo D2 T5

Edited by Nonsuch30

I have a couple of Terrain 5 caches (boat required) nearby with a few finds (most by inventive seekers.) As the boating season is quickly coming to an end here in Toronto on Lake Ontario would it be appropriate for me to run an event and transport local geocachers to these caches in my boat so that they can fill in a couple of T5s in their grids? Or, would this be de-valuing the efforts made by the previous finders? Cachers could also bring their own canoe or kayak and launch from the event location. There are also plenty of other caches nearby for people to find while waiting their turn in the boat.

The Gazebo D2 T5

That sounds like a fun time. I'm not sure that it would qualify as an event as it stands, though. Could you turn it into a picnic as the main event, with the boating/caching as an additional/optional activity?

There have been events that are terrain 5. Anyone can come right. I think its a neat idea for an event. As long as you are supplying a boat at a set time (and letting anyone else bring one) and anyone can join up, it sounds like fun. Boat caches are meant to be found too. It does not devalue the finds of someone who chartered a helicopter or rode a shark to get there. They'd still have the coolest log. If you supplied the boat and they signed the cache, they signed the cache and its all good.

I have a couple of Terrain 5 caches (boat required) nearby with a few finds (most by inventive seekers.) As the boating season is quickly coming to an end here in Toronto on Lake Ontario would it be appropriate for me to run an event and transport local geocachers to these caches in my boat so that they can fill in a couple of T5s in their grids? Or, would this be de-valuing the efforts made by the previous finders? Cachers could also bring their own canoe or kayak and launch from the event location. There are also plenty of other caches nearby for people to find while waiting their turn in the boat.

The Gazebo D2 T5

Nope. Read the event guidelines. You can't hold an event just to go geocaching.

You can have a picnic, go for pizza and beer, have a BBQ, a meet and great and what not. You can also go geocaching before or after these activities.

The point is that the event can't be just for geocaching, so anyone who attends and doesn't find those caches can still log the event.

Or you can hold a terrain 5 event-say on top of a mountain.

Keep in mind that an event cannot be for the purpose of going caching. The event has to be for breakfast or boating or some other activity. If everyone decides to go caching after, that's fine. But the event cannot be held for the purpose of going after caches.

I have edited my OP to include the suggestions that the event be for the purpose of discussing urban geo topics and for burgers and beverages.

Keep in mind that an event cannot be for the purpose of going caching. The event has to be for breakfast or boating or some other activity. If everyone decides to go caching after, that's fine. But the event cannot be held for the purpose of going after caches.

I have edited my OP to include the suggestions that the event be for the purpose of discussing urban geo topics and for burgers and beverages.

If you're supplying the boat, the it would not really meet the "requires special equipment" prerequisite for making it a 5T event.

That said, I know of a climbing cache where many of those that have found it met the cache owner who provided climbing equipment and instruction to help people find the cache. He doesn't create an event cache, but just posts occasionally in the logs indicated when he'll be at the cache location and people can show up at that time.

In any case, as other suggest, the point of an event cache is to bring geocachers together for a bit of socializing, not to finds a cache or to pad their stats with a T5 cache.

If you're supplying the boat, the it would not really meet the "requires special equipment" prerequisite for making it a 5T event.

I'm not so sure. Under the guise of "requires special equipment" is there any mention regarding who provides said special equipment? They'd still need a boat to get there, right? B) I loan a couple of my kayaks out for most of my T-5 events. :P

I know T5 means special equipment and a boat is special equipment ( so are boots ). I bought a canoe to use for caching and floating up to a cache while sitting on my butt didn't seem like a T-5....actually most T-2's are tougher. While there may be some true T-5 boat caches the vast majority are not.....a boat isn't in the same ball park as climbing gear as far as " special equipment required ".

IMO a boat cache should be rated like any other cache....if its tough to launch, plenty big gators and snakes, and a tough bushwhack to GZ then it may be a T-5.....F & G ( float and grab ) maybe a T-2 or T-3.

My first hosted event has been published. I hope to see some of the forum contributors there! Thank you all for the advice.

Humber Bay Parks - Meet & Greet

Geocache Description:

Location: Mimico Cruising Club, 200 Humber Bay Park Rd W. (A gate code is required to enter the club grounds and I will provide the one-time access code to those who respond with a "Will Attend".)<br style="color: rgb(89, 74, 66); font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, sans-serif; line-height: 18px; ">Date and Time: Thursday, October 3, 2013 at 5:30 PM - 8:00 PM (rain or shine)

Meeting: A social time to meet other local geocachers and to discuss tips and tricks for hiding and seeking urban geocaches. Food and beverages are available for purchase at the clubhouse.

In the Mimico Harbour there are two T5 caches that have not had a lot of finders because a boat is required. After 6:00 PM Nonsuch 30 will be providing a boat to ferry anyone who may want to add these caches to their Grid. (Life jackets will be provided, but be sure and dress appropriately and have good shoes for climbing over rocks.)

If you have a kayak or canoe you are welcome to bring it and you could launch it from the MCC docks to paddle out for the search/find yourself.

There are also plenty of geocaches in the Humber Bay Parks and along the Mimico Linear Path for those that are interested.

-------------------------------------

Humber Bay Park is actually two parks divided into an east and west portion joined together by a pedestrian bridge of unusual design. This park is located west of Downtown Toronto on two spits that straddle the outflow from Mimico Creek.

Just over 5 million cubic metres of lake fill were used to create the park which was opened in the summer of 1984. There are ongoing projects at the park to restore habitat, including planting shrubs and trees and establishing meadows of wildflowers, habitat for warm-water fish, a butterfly habitat and wetlands.

Amenities include walking trails, picnic areas, a playground and beachfront. There is also a pond for fly casting, RC sailboats, plus a wheelchair accessible fishing pier. The west park features an historic lighthouse. In addition to all of the above, Humber Bay Park also provides some spectacular views towards Downtown Toronto.

There has been a great response to this Event. I am trying to contact all of the people who have responded with a Will Attend, but after sending a number of messages through the cacher's profile I seem to have hit a Spam preventer, receiving a message that I must wait to send anymore messages.

Is there a more efficient way to contact everyone with more information about the event?

Post an announcement to the event page. It will email anyone who said they will attend. That's why the announcement log type was created.

If you don't want those who didn't respond to see the announcement, delete it immediately after posting.

Thanks for this information, good idea. I have done as you suggested and created the announcement and then deleted it.