Is there a less confusing alternative to GSAK?

Hope_Ferdabest

I just want to get out there and cache. The sad thing is that I loaded 500 points of interest onto my 660 several times and then it crashed. So I bought a Nuvi 550. I love paperless cacheing because I will grab one here and there when out with friends. The problem is that every time I make a new pocket query I am lost. I had a paper copy of notes from a Groundspeak user that actually worked like a charm. Run the macro hit this button then that button and voila! Can't find her either. GSAK says it has successfully loaded 500 points of interest to my device...then I get an error message about gpsbabel not working. I paid for membership thinking it was the nag screens. I just want to load the 500 closest caches. I don't care about filters (although I know how to use that!). Where can I get some help? Is there a way to configure gsak so that I click and go for future downloads? Anyone else find this program cumbersome? SOOOOO frustrated (ps... I can load them individually but with no gpx file so I am still cacheing and printing out the paper write up...lots of clever caches in my area...I want the write ups_). THanks for listening any help is greatly appreciated. finewine888 aka Lynn roland31usa@yahoo.com

I sometimes wonder why folks play with extra programs to load their devices. Seems to be a lot of stumbling and bumbling when things don't work right with them, especially for Premium Members.

Dragging and dropping the GPX files is about as easy as things get. Nothing stands between your computer and the GPSr unit.

Sure, GSAK and even GPSBable are good, but they really aren't necessary to load caches to the device. They do perform loads of other functions and are super-useful in those aspects.

I sometimes wonder why folks play with extra programs to load their devices. Seems to be a lot of stumbling and bumbling when things don't work right with them, especially for Premium Members.

Dragging and dropping the GPX files is about as easy as things get. Nothing stands between your computer and the GPSr unit.

Sure, GSAK and even GPSBable are good, but they really aren't necessary to load caches to the device. They do perform loads of other functions and are super-useful in those aspects.

As an avid user of GSAK, I fully agree with the above. The only step that might be a little confusing the first time is the necessity to unzip. But to the point GG makes there is no need for GSAK or BaseCamp to load caches onto a GPS.

there is no need for GSAK or BaseCamp to load caches onto a GPS.

I followed some web info one time, to place POIs onto my car GPSr, with a proximity notice. That required special software, lots of work, and it's super tough to remove the POIs later. And once you find the caches, you might not need the proximity alert anymore. Maybe you manually delete each once found.

But I never figured out GSAK. It makes no sense to me, I've never managed to even set it up, and I've tried hard several times. Basecamp hates my PC, and plays really evil tricks on it. So the option to keep it simple is appealing. :P

Edited by kunarion

I used to do the same thing, open my GPX file in GSAK then export it to my Garmin Oregon 550 . Then I finally realized that step was unnecessary. Now I just save the Pocket Query to my "Geocaching" folder on my desktop, plug in the Oregon and drag the GPX files to the unit. Done.

I can see the use of GSAK for power cachers and statistics junkies who really have a need to organize and manipulate data, but it's unnecessary for the basic task of getting caches to the GPS. I, too, have never really been able to figure it out.

I can load plenty of cache locations, but none of the data. I love the time people put into the back story and sometimes need the information to make the find. So I am trying to load the gpx data.....and every time I click on that it says premium members can use gsak to upload. Gsak leads me to the pocket query...which I have successfully loaded into gsak. Now to get it from gsak to the device with the data..... once it works I wont need it for another 8-10 months...which is why I forgot what I did (may have also just gotten lucky). Thanks for the quick reply. Lynn

It is not about loading the PQ's that programs like GSAK are all about. If that is all you want you shouldn't get it. I don't use it much primarily to delete caches where the last two logs are DNF which runs about six percent so I don't waste time looking. It is also very handy after doing fifty caches in a day to only have to write one log and have all of them logged with one click.

What they do is start there and take you anywhere you want with data.

Hmm... I got my techie brother to help me with running GSAK. I'm getting pretty good at it. I use it to delete found caches, caches with the last two finds DNF, inactive caches, &c. Then the filters depending on where I will be next weekend. NW Jersey? Or NE Jersey? Works nicely for me.

I don't know Basecamp. I use Garmin POI loader, and it works well. It loads the same info into the eTrex30, and the nüvi 455w. Easier to read on the nüvi, so we read all the information before we get out of the cachemobile. Only problem on the nüvi is when I delete the old POIs, it saves a copy on the nüvi, and I have to manually delete that, or I get duplicate listings for caches. I love GSAK! $20 well spent!

Hmmm... Have to start working on pocket queries in Seattle area for my upcoming visit to GS HQ!

One of the problems people have been running into recently is the GS upgrade a few months back that returns 'invalid listing' on caches with some unusual character. (Which then does not upload the rest of the caches in that GPX file.) I see it mentioned in discussions of Basecamp. GSAK has an updated macro that eliminates that problem. Nuvi_GPX_by_CT.Gsk

$20 for GSAK.. Garmin POI Loader. I'm happy!

It is not about loading the PQ's that programs like GSAK are all about. If that is all you want you shouldn't get it. I don't use it much primarily to delete caches where the last two logs are DNF which runs about six percent so I don't waste time looking. It is also very handy after doing fifty caches in a day to only have to write one log and have all of them logged with one click.

What they do is start there and take you anywhere you want with data.

I use Garmin POI loader, and it works well. It loads the same info into the eTrex30, and the nüvi 455w. Easier to read on the nüvi, so we read all the information before we get out of the cachemobile. Only problem on the nüvi is when I delete the old POIs, it saves a copy on the nüvi, and I have to manually delete that, or I get duplicate listings for caches. I love GSAK! $20 well spent!

I think this is what the OP is asking about, how to get "all the information", not just the cache number, which I guess worked at one time. I still wonder why this kind of thing is asked here, rather than on GSAK's excellent message board. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

Gee,

Perhaps I can butt in on the GSAK bashing session and maybe try to offer some help.

First, what's a 660 and how did it crash? Is it a NUVI as well? Is it completely dead?

Second, don't ever drop a PQ GPX directly into a NUVI. You'll end up with hundreds of Favorites that are almost impossible to delete. You can not delete them by simply deleting the file.

If you are getting a GPSbabel not working error, it's because you are using GSAK to send directly to an older non-paperless unit and the computer doesn't recognize it, or you have a paperless USB unit attached and have the Send to GPS setting set to an older paperless unit.

GSAK uses GPSbabel to convert and send to the older Garmin non paperless units. You should not see this error if you are doing anything with a NUVI.

The absolute simplest macro to use to send POIs to any NUVI is available here: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=19727&st=0entry160962

No bells and whistles, no special setup. Just load your PQ to GSAK, hook up your NUVI, run the macro and go Geocaching.

Perhaps I can butt in on the GSAK bashing session and maybe try to offer some help.

Cool! And people keep pronouncing that GSAK's forum is the best place to get GSAK help. :ph34r:

It is the best place to get help.

I'm sorry if my comment seemed rude, but the OP was obviously asking for help, hopefully from someone that has a better grasp on the program than they have. All I saw was a bunch of unfavorable comments from people that seem to be equally as lost. The "How Do I" is a help forum, and frankly, no one was being helpful.

Cool! And people keep pronouncing that GSAK's forum is the best place to get GSAK help. :ph34r:

It is the best place to get help.

I'm sorry if my comment seemed rude, but the OP was obviously asking for help, hopefully from someone that has a better grasp on the program than they have. All I saw was a bunch of unfavorable comments from people that seem to be equally as lost. The "How Do I" is a help forum, and frankly, no one was being helpful.

GSAK is for-pay software, many people insist their Forum is the one to use, and I insist. If people are confident that the answers are there, send askers there. There can’t be any problem with a subject everyone agrees on: GSAK questions go to GSAK.

OK, people probably can't go there to ask for a less confusing alternative to GSAK :anibad:, but that's not really what this Topic was about.

Edited by kunarion