31 Days of August Cheater

elrojo14

I received this e-mail at 2 AM 8/9/13.

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

Team Foxlake attended Taft CITO #9: Adams Park (Cache In Trash Out Event) at 8/9/2013

Log Date: 8/9/2013

test log will be deleted

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://coord.info/GLBT0AV0

Visit Taft CITO #9: Adams Park

http://coord.info/GC4GWHP

Profile for Team Foxlake:

http://coord.info/PRK1EM

I went and checked their logs and they have finds on 8/1 through 8/4 in the Netherlands (my event is in California), but none since 8/4. Yet if you look at their souvenirs, sure enough they have them for the first 9 Days of August.

If we aren't concerned about cheating anymore, bring back the virtual caches!

Speaking of cheating, did I cheat by making an event cache in my town in every day of August (after the 4th because the idea didn't occur to me until two weeks before then)?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?tx=69eb8534-b718-4b35-ae3c-a856a55b0874&u=elrojo14

I don't think I am cheating because I am actually going through and having all of these events (with the exception of last night's CITO I couldn't make it because my wife gave birth to our daughter yesterday, but I arranged for my sister to show up and run the event [and I still found a cache yesterday ] and this morning's Taft Rise and Shine #10 breakfast event I missed). I see it more as a creative way to make my finds in a town where I have found all of the caches within 17 miles from home.

Edited by elrojo14

I had someone named "souvernir_bot" (or something like that) log a Mega Event cache that's still on my watchlist. I think they've been dealt with...

Team Foxlake did delete his log so he didn't claim a find he didn't make. However, I think it is pretty clear he made a test log just to get a souvenir so far he didn't seem to have earned.

Not a huge deal to me as Geocaching is what you make it. If you want the souvenirs at the expense of your integrity, go for it.

I had someone named "souvernir_bot" (or something like that) log a Mega Event cache that's still on my watchlist. I think they've been dealt with...

Team Foxlake did delete his log so he didn't claim a find he didn't make. However, I think it is pretty clear he made a test log just to get a souvenir so far he didn't seem to have earned.

Not a huge deal to me as Geocaching is what you make it. If you want the souvenirs at the expense of your integrity, go for it.

My own integrity wouldn't allow me to create events that have no purpose than to get me one of these silly souvenirs, especially events that only I attended.

I received this e-mail at 2 AM 8/9/13.

You are receiving this email because you are the owner of this listing.

Team Foxlake attended Taft CITO #9: Adams Park (Cache In Trash Out Event) at 8/9/2013

Log Date: 8/9/2013

test log will be deleted

Visit this log entry at the below address:

http://coord.info/GLBT0AV0

Visit Taft CITO #9: Adams Park

http://coord.info/GC4GWHP

Profile for Team Foxlake:

http://coord.info/PRK1EM

I went and checked their logs and they have finds on 8/1 through 8/4 in the Netherlands (my event is in California), but none since 8/4. Yet if you look at their souvenirs, sure enough they have them for the first 9 Days of August.

If we aren't concerned about cheating anymore, bring back the virtual caches!

Speaking of cheating, did I cheat by making an event cache in my town in every day of August (after the 4th because the idea didn't occur to me until two weeks before then)?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?tx=69eb8534-b718-4b35-ae3c-a856a55b0874&u=elrojo14

I don't think I am cheating because I am actually going through and having all of these events (with the exception of last night's CITO I couldn't make it because my wife gave birth to our daughter yesterday, but I arranged for my sister to show up and run the event [and I still found a cache yesterday ] and this morning's Taft Rise and Shine #10 breakfast event I missed). I see it more as a creative way to make my finds in a town where I have found all of the caches within 17 miles from home.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!!!!

Edited by popokiiti

seems the definition of event stacking to me.

I think that is sillier than someone who cares about souvenirs, they take up a tab that most folks here complain about in the first place, so not sure why it matters.

What's silly is eating at the same taco shack 19 nights in a row, just to get the souvenirs.

You can do this kind of cheating without anyone finding out about it. We have found caches everyday so far. BUT A few days ago I wanted to see the next souvenir, so I logged a find for the next day on one of our archived caches. I then deleted it and no one was the wiser (except you all know now). I found a cache the next day.

If someone wants to play around with dates, it doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is posting an item about it and actually naming the cacher involved.

PAul

You can do this kind of cheating without anyone finding out about it. We have found caches everyday so far. BUT A few days ago I wanted to see the next souvenir, so I logged a find for the next day on one of our archived caches. I then deleted it and no one was the wiser (except you all know now). I found a cache the next day.

If someone wants to play around with dates, it doesn't bother me. What bothers me more is posting an item about it and actually naming the cacher involved.

PAul

Amen, that really bother me as well. Its like some cachers dont have anything better to do but put other cachers down.

You can do this kind of cheating without anyone finding out about it. We have found caches everyday so far. BUT A few days ago I wanted to see the next souvenir, so I logged a find for the next day on one of our archived caches. I then deleted it and no one was the wiser (except you all know now).

PAul

There are at least two ways other geocachers could have known you did this and YOU wouldn't know that they know!

They could either have that archived cache on a private Bookmark list or they could have a notification for found logs covering the area of the archived cache.

The geo-police are always watching. . . :ph34r:

My own integrity wouldn't allow me to create events that have no purpose than to get me one of these silly souvenirs, especially events that only I attended.

Me too. I actually created events that people might enjoy and want to come to and I varied the type and nature of the events. So far I have spent some good time with other cachers talking about things we both enjoy.

I am curious how you know when you create an event you will be the only one to attend. How do you stop yourself from being the only one there in order to save your integrity?

PAul

PAul

Amen, that really bother me as well. Its like some cachers dont have anything better to do but put other cachers down.

You can see all of icon types from the calendar, so you don't have to log a find early to see the icon.

http://blog.geocaching.com/2013/07/31-days-of-geocaching-printable-calendar/

Putting other cachers down? Naming the cacher? This is nothing more than a report of facts. If the cacher is uncomfortable having his name put out there, then he should stop Geocaching with his Geocaching name.

I seriously doubt a guy in the Netherlands really cares what people are saying about him in English. And even if he reads this, now he realizes he can do the same thing without alerting anyone by using an old archived cache. Everyone wins!

yes

No.

Wait, what are we talking about here? :lol: I have 4 Souvies, just because I've um, gone out and found a few caches in August. I'm just waiting for the September 1st drama thread about "how do we delete them?" to get posted. Which I probably won't do, but I'm still waiting for the drama to ensue.

EDIT: P.S. I didn't get my Midwest Geobash 2013 Souvie. There's gonna be heck to pay for that one. What's up with that? :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I am curious how you know when you create an event you will be the only one to attend. How do you stop yourself from being the only one there in order to save your integrity?

Well, you could hold it in a location where there are very few other geocachers like this one: GC489QE As the creator of the even posted, there aren't many geocachers in Ethiopia.

I wanted to attend that one but was on an airplane enroute to the location when the event occurred. The creator of the even was the only one that attended. There were no "will attend" logs posted for the event and only two other logs (one was mine).

Well, you could hold it in a location where there are very few other geocachers like this one: GC489QE As the creator of the even posted, there aren't many geocachers in Ethiopia.

I wanted to attend that one but was on an airplane enroute to the location when the event occurred. The creator of the even was the only one that attended. There were no "will attend" logs posted for the event and only two other logs (one was mine).

I just clicked on that one and saw another link from that page to the 24 events in 24 hours. http://coord.info/GC47HE2

That is a cool concept. See I like things like that because it is a challenge to do. It isn't for everyone.

UPDATE: I thought it was possible that Team Foxlake might actually end up logging finds on all of his days after the fact and it appears he has. If you go look at his caches now, he has actually found caches on each of the days (with the exception of the 7th). He might have been scared that if he didn't log them on the actual day, they might not give him the souvenir, thus the phantom logs.

I personally can attest to the fact logs created a day after the find will still register the souvenir.