Photo Competition - August 2013

MikeyG.

Many thanks to The Blorenges for choosing my photo among the many great photos posted.

This month's theme is: Creepy Crawlers, Critters, and things that Flutter. It might just be me but with the amount of good weather, with rain here and there, I've noticed more butterflies, and insects in general, during our walks. We even had to tiptoe around a rather large knot of toads up a bridle path once. Not an easy task with 2 large dogs and kids along for the walk. But I won't limit it to insects and amphibians only. Any critter will do.

The rest of the rules are:

1) The photo must be cache related and to do with a specific UK cache (any type including events), caching series or caching trip - please include a link to the cache or the GC.... code so we can see where the picture relates to.

2) Maximum of two photos per caching team or cacher.

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Follow the theme

Here's a photo of one critter, but looks like there will soon be many more little critters, taken near Birdlip Walk (GCRCZH) a few weeks ago:

unknowncave3_zpsab6eea48.jpg

And here is a photo taken today at Wroughton Alps (GC2YHF1). The cache container had been placed in a bag, and it had gathered some water and a family of earwigs. Felt a bit like a bushtucker trial to retrieve the container from the bag:

e0a418c2-a092-4b48-9760-7be5c1bbf748.jpg

What a great advert for cachers NOT to use plaggy bags as cache holders!

Never tried to post a picture before and am not really sure if Im doing it right, but here goes...

I met this chap near High Tor GC186G0 on 4/8/13.

Im not sure the quality has reproduced well but if you zoom in you can see the zigzags on the abdomen in the funnel entrance.

5919bb16-3ad1-421b-a00c-ba4f6309404e.jpg

And this beauty was along the Macclesfield canal around about KT Power #52 GC3RH8G

01c17a87-dbee-4c1d-818a-4ca45d84a251.jpg

Thanks to everyone for posting your photos. It was a tough choice, so I called on the assistance of my family. We loved all the many close ups and angles taken, particularly those posted by Ian2013 (nicely done). However, it was Clue-72 picture of the damselfly (I'm guessing) with it's bright colours and close up shot that showed it's wing design and the hairs on the body that got the kids favorite vote. Congrats!

1edf93c8-4a22-4d05-998e-90f02c3ebf30.jpg

On to you, Clue-72.