swearing in cache logs

You could:

Permanently encrypt the log.

Ask the logger to edit out the offensive language.

Delete the log.

I wouldn't waste the reviewer's time over it, you have the power to deal with this yourself.

I would gently but firmly ask the logger to edit the log, and make it clear they had 24 hours to do so. Then I would keep my promise.

If the log were nasty enough, I would delete it immediately, and then send a note telling them why I did.

If off-color logs became a habit from the cacher, then I would send a copy of them to contact@Groundspeak.com.

it's not an offensive log (if it's the one i read) it's just got a swear word in it. I wouldn't delete it because that could then cause an issue... I was told by a reviewer that if you give all the info it's nothing more than a 2 minute job but it's up to you. I would personally try the asked the cacher to Edit it first.

If some dropped the "F" bomb in a log on one of my caches, I would delete it without any more thought. I don't condone the usage of that word and I certainly wouldn't let it stand.

I don't care if it upset the finder or not. Our society has gotten too lax in the use of profanities today and I am making a stand. I just won't tolerate it and I don't have to.

I don't care about swearing, I only care about the intent behind words. You can lovingly use the f-word in an affectionate way. You can also rip someone apart without a single swear word. Intent is all that matters to me, personally, so I wouldn't care. But to each their own.

Edited by Keystone
Removed off topic portion.

It's the universal verb. There's a universal noun, too, which you can guess. People with weak vocabularies use these words when they cannot think of the real words that actually mean what they're trying to say. They could bark like a dog, and it would be just as meaningful, though far less offensive, but the offensiveness of the word causes the hearer to overlook the fact that it's complete nonsense. Try using the word "blah," instead. That way, you can sound stupid instead of crass. If you really want to be effective in your speech, then you learn to say the words that actually mean what you want to say. It takes a little more brainpower, but it's worth the trouble.

Edited by nonaeroterraqueous

I've removed a large number of off-topic posts. Participants in that side discussion are strongly cautioned not to renew that discussion unless they care to start a separate thread in the Off Topic forum. The topic of THIS thread is what to do as a cache owner when someone's online log on your cache page contains potty language.

Thank you.

It's the universal verb. There's a universal noun, too, which you can guess. People with weak vocabularies use these words when they cannot think of the real words that actually mean what they're trying to say. They could bark like a dog, and it would be just as meaningful, though far less offensive, but the offensiveness of the word causes the hearer to overlook the fact that it's complete nonsense. Try using the word "blah," instead. That way, you can sound stupid instead of crass. If you really want to be effective in your speech, then you learn to say the words that actually mean what you want to say. It takes a little more brainpower, but it's worth the trouble.

Meh...some of the most brilliant people in the world swear regularly. Some of the greatest writers of all time swear regularly. Some of the best books have lots of swearing in it. It has nothing to do with vocabulary. I find words such as, "like" and "whatever" to be more of an indication of a weak vocabulary.

If some dropped the "F" bomb in a log on one of my caches, I would delete it without any more thought. I don't condone the usage of that word and I certainly wouldn't let it stand.

I don't care if it upset the finder or not. Our society has gotten too lax in the use of profanities today and I am making a stand. I just won't tolerate it and I don't have to.

You would, of course, email the finder and let them know WHY you deleted the log, right? Otherwise, they'll think that their log was deleted for no reason.

I don't care about swearing, I only care about the intent behind words. You can lovingly use the f-word in an affectionate way. You can also rip someone apart without a single swear word. Intent is all that matters to me, personally, so I wouldn't care. But to each their own.

+1

I would have a much bigger problem with someone using proper English to belittle another person in their log than I would have with someone dropping the f bomb in a manner that displays no ill will toward another. The intent is what matters.

Ah. Do you people really want to get me started?

The modern societal trend is called 'The least common denominator'. We make money from everyone, no matter how much 'potty language' they use. (Good description, Keystone.) Anybody can say anything they want. The kindly nuns taught us the proper use of 'polite language'. "Do not use words that offend anyone, in polite company." It is noted that we are talking about an obscenity, not a profanity. Profanity is religious in nature. Oh My (Religious deity of your choice) is profanity. Logs with obscenities and profanities get deleted right away. Those are offensive.

Someone encrypted my log on a WT(whatever) cache. I found I could de-encrypt it putting the brackets around it! Hee hee hee.

Yes, cacher WilsonCharlieFoxrot: We know what you are saying. But, why do you feel the need to use that name???

Actor James Gandolfino died yesterday. I watched about five minutes of The Sopranos once. After five F-bombs in five minutes I stopped. Great ratings from the Least Common Denominator fans. I do not put up with that garbage.

+1

I look at it this way:

is that the kind of language you would use in front of your mother, or with people you've just met?

It's an offensive word. No amount of rationalizing it changes its offensiveness.

B.

again i say i am a contractors daughter. If as a family we don't swear at each other and were polite my mother would think we had done something wrong and chase us down to find out what. :) (before she got ill that is) but i know what you're saying.

again like i said before there is a time and a place for it.

I will have to look it up for you in a moment but a couple of English actors (very smart people) looked into swearing in a bbc tv program. I believe one of them was steven fry and they found that in certain cases swearing gave you strength or tricked your mind into believing you were stronger... i can't remember. (they did a freezing cold water type test thing and i am not sure if it was true but it was an interesting watch)

will look it up if anyones interested though you may have to wait until monday as i am leaving to go to wild west event soon.

EDIT to add it was Brian Blessed and Steven Fry

Edited by sparklefingers

I wouldn't delete the log, at least not at first. I would politely email them to ask them to edit it. If they refused, I might consider deleting the log, but I also might choose to encrypt it.

Encrypting is for hiding hints and giveaways.

Not for covering up someone's disgusting language on a "family orientated" website.

You're probably right. I wish I could say for certain what I would do, but I've never encountered a swear word in a log.

At the same time, let's not go overboard and freak out over 1 swear word. #1 it's mostly adults on the geocaching.com website and #2 kids hear swear words at school and on the internet everyday. :rolleyes:

Out of almost 750 logs people have entered for the caches I own, I've seen just one that included obscenities. This log was from someone who created his geocaching account earlier on the same day, found seven geocaches (including two of mine), then disappeared from the caching scene forever after that one day. I encrypted the log and added a note explaining that "... this is a family-friendly hobby. I am encrypting the previous note in order to obscure the unnecessarily crude language."

My attitude on this is fairly simple: This is supposed to be a family-friendly hobby, and potty-mouth language isn't family-friendly, at least for the majority of people I know. Why use words that offend a large number of people when you can say the same thing in language that doesn't offend? I can swear like a sailor, at the right time and the right place. The geocaching Web site isn't one of those places where it's acceptable.

--Larry

Out of almost 750 logs people have entered for the caches I own, I've seen just one that included obscenities. This log was from someone who created his geocaching account earlier on the same day, found seven geocaches (including two of mine), then disappeared from the caching scene forever after that one day. I encrypted the log and added a note explaining that "... this is a family-friendly hobby. I am encrypting the previous note in order to obscure the unnecessarily crude language."

My attitude on this is fairly simple: This is supposed to be a family-friendly hobby, and potty-mouth language isn't family-friendly, at least for the majority of people I know. Why use words that offend a large number of people when you can say the same thing in language that doesn't offend? I can swear like a sailor, at the right time and the right place. The geocaching Web site isn't one of those places where it's acceptable.

--Larry

WELL SAID! +1 B)

I wouldn't delete the log, at least not at first. I would politely email them to ask them to edit it. If they refused, I might consider deleting the log, but I also might choose to encrypt it.

Encrypting is for hiding hints and giveaways.

Not for covering up someone's disgusting language on a "family orientated" website.

You're probably right. I wish I could say for certain what I would do, but I've never encountered a swear word in a log.

At the same time, let's not go overboard and freak out over 1 swear word. #1 it's mostly adults on the geocaching.com website and #2 kids hear swear words at school and on the internet everyday. :rolleyes:

If I were to delete a log because of a swear word, it would not be to protect the children, or to keep from offending you or anyone else reading. It would be because the log would show a total lack of respect towards me, those reading and the basic ideas behind Geocaching.

I am no stranger to swearing. I spent almost two decades working with recovering drug and alcohol addicts, most of which were recent prison parolees. Sometimes it is simply part of the environment, and I have no problem with that. A log on a cache page is not the proper environment.