Geocaching problem

TeamDangerTX

I need help clarifying "how" to geocache. I can find the map link essentially, and we've found a few caches. But I don't think I'm actually getting close enough.

For example, here => http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC29F81

The absolutely lat & long puts you in the middle of the street, although the map icon is a bit further to the side. Am I supposed to go to the absolute lat & long?

What app can give me a lat&long heading so I know which way to walk?

I'm using c:geo on my Andoid Samsung S4 - the GPS is nice and sensitive.

We're enjoying the few caches we've found, but I'm not understanding enough to really ultimately have my kids and I enjoy it, unless I learn a bit more.

Thanks,

Carl

Edited by cswanson2

So first off, anything between you and the satellites could cause your GPSr to be off, and if you are in an urban environment (next to buildings) that could cause problems too. This not only happens to you as the finder, but also to the hider. So it sometimes happens that coordinates will be off by up to 30 feet. When a cache is shown to be in the middle of the street, this could have been what happened.

In these situations, I try to look at the area and try to think of where I would hide a geocache if I were to hide one. However this method may not be the best method for new cachers since they may not have as much experience.

An often overlooked area for information is to actually read the whole cache description. I know a lot of geocachers who do not read the description, but rather just go to where their GPSr is taking them. You can also read through previous log entries, a lot of times there will be hints included with a "Found" log.

Finally, you can read through the logs and see if there is some one you know who found the cache and could give you a hint. Or you can email the CO asking for another hint.

When using the c:geo app, I like the add-on app that allows you to use a radar screen called GPS Status, it tells you how far away you are from GZ and marks a point on a compass so you know what direction to travel in.

You've still got some learnin' to do... :)

For one thing, read the logs on that cache page. Some of them indicate something BEYOND the fact that it is a micro cache (these can be extremely small, like a pencil eraser). From what I gather from those logs is that this cache is hidden/camouflaged in such a manner as to not even be recognized as a cache container. Also, did you read the hint? The hint gives a decent clue -- better than many hints you'll see, anyway.

As far as expecting your S4 taking you TO the cache... well, that only happens occasionally. Just don't count on it to do any more than to take you to the area of the cache.

There are devices that can put you on top of those coordinates, but us normal folk cannot afford them.

Your device probably put you within 20-30 ft. of the cache, and that is within reasonable norms. You still must find it. I say many times that if you are that close and still looking at the device in your hand, you are looking at the wrong thing. Put it away, and look for the cache -- more properly, its hiding spot. And... yes, it is highly unlikely that it will be in the middle of the street!

Many factors affect how close a device can get you to the actual coordinates... and remember this -- it was hidden by somebody else using (and reading a GPSr device, at least hopefully they used one).

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I see where you are coming from I had the same issue. The link is on the listing. when you see the list near you click map this location. Or if your on the listing on the map thats toward the bottom it will say view this larger click on that and you will get the map.

Are you sure your GPS on that smatphone is acurate. The vast majority of smartphone GPS is not true GPS.

The GPS function comes from the cell phone towers possibly 3 to 4 and not from GPS satellites.

It is much better to use a true GPS, these get thier locations from GPS satelites 5 or more. Mine gets me to within +-6 feet, Delorme PN60.

I do have the GPS function on my smartphone, no geocaching app. I have seen that thing put me about 100 to 300 feet from where

I really was. When no cell towers around then zip on location. When I find people having trouble finding one of mine, I find that

they are using a smart phone. When they use a GPS I get coments about how accurate my coords are. I would go buy a GPS unit and use the

smartphone app as a backup.

I'm using a smartphone (MyTouch) with the c:geo app, too, until we can afford a GPS unit. It's gotten us right on top of most caches, but there are a couple of places where the compass spins and changes direction constantly...one is near a large building, the other has several large trees which I guess could be affecting it. Both caches were DNF for me until we were able to find the one near the large building by pure dumb luck. You know what helped? Looking up examples of other geocaches. When you know the kinds of things you're looking for, it gets a little easier.

I hesitate to use more detailed examples as I'm a newbie, too, and I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Google geocache examples and you will understand what you should be looking for. Evergreens, metal sign poles, unusual logs and rocks...search them all!

Are you sure your GPS on that smatphone is acurate. The vast majority of smartphone GPS is not true GPS.

The GPS function comes from the cell phone towers possibly 3 to 4 and not from GPS satellites.

It is much better to use a true GPS, these get thier locations from GPS satelites 5 or more. Mine gets me to within +-6 feet, Delorme PN60.

That is untrue. Smartphones use a combination of GPS, cell towers and, if available, WIFI to determine your position. I had a phone where you cou;d choose to use the GPS or not, and using GPS was way more accurate then using just cell towers, which put me 2000-4000 feet off.

I refuse to participate in a thread where the OP states they are using c:geo.

OOPS! :ph34r:

I'm guessing the OP doesn't realize there's a problem with c:geo. No one's told him yet.

@cswanson2: Just to inform you, Geocaching.com doesn't exactly approve of the c:geo app, due to the way it gets data off the website. Something about scraping the data off GS's servers, instead of asking for it nicely through the API.

I refuse to participate in a thread where the OP states they are using c:geo.

OOPS! :ph34r:

I'm guessing the OP doesn't realize there's a problem with c:geo. No one's told him yet.

@cswanson2: Just to inform you, Geocaching.com doesn't exactly approve of the c:geo app, due to the way it gets data off the website. Something about scraping the data off GS's servers, instead of asking for it nicely through the API.

Not the OP, but I had no idea about this problem with c:geo. Thanks so much for taking time to explain, Kacher82. Cryptic comments are no good to those of us who are newbies. :unsure:

I need help clarifying "how" to geocache. I can find the map link essentially, and we've found a few caches. But I don't think I'm actually getting close enough.

For example, here => http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC29F81

The absolutely lat & long puts you in the middle of the street, although the map icon is a bit further to the side. Am I supposed to go to the absolute lat & long?

What app can give me a lat&long heading so I know which way to walk?

I'm using c:geo on my Andoid Samsung S4 - the GPS is nice and sensitive.

We're enjoying the few caches we've found, but I'm not understanding enough to really ultimately have my kids and I enjoy it, unless I learn a bit more.

Thanks,

Carl

The problem is that you are expecting 'absolute' accuracy. This does not exist. A GPS unit is accurate to 20-30 feet. If used properly, yours has the same accuracy. So, do not be surprised if the cache is 30' from where your GPS is taking you. Umm... This hide seem fairly obvious using Google Maps. I think you have your unit set for 'on road'. That will take you to the nearest road. (Yes. Our nuvi will take us to the nearest road. Not always the best place to start.) Try setting your unit to 'off road'.