UK Geocaching trip

I was looking at Hadrian's Wall yesterday on the map and there's a bunch of caches along one section of that - and a handy bus that plies along it everyday in the walking season (the AD122). It obviously needs getting to first but looks an interesting walk anyway).

Edinburgh has lots of nice caches as well - and you have urban stuff and the ability to get up on top of Arthur's Seat and so on very quickly from the city centre - easily walkable.

A bit closer to you, Purbeck has some very nice caches if you can get to somewhere like Corfe Castle and Swanage - buses link it to the rail network or there's a steam train. Or the Isle of Wight perhaps?

Btw, there's a UK forum where this might get a bit better set of responses.

Edited by Blue Square Thing

There's also the Cateran Trail up in Perthshire. I haven't checked lately, but am not sure that anyone's completed the new series up there yet. Beautiful countryside and you're walking in the footsteps of history.

Alternatively, there's Dr Solly's Chiltern Hundred (3 rings) around the Chesham area. That would definitely keep you busy for a while, although I believe there are some superhuman people who've walked all 109 in a day!

:blink:

The vast majority of my UK finds have been close to home (Bath) or work (Swindon). So that is the only area I really know.

From Bath railway station there are about 50 caches within a mile. Most of the city ones are multis or puzzles and are good. You can also walk into the countryside or take local busses. E.g. the village of Box is ~5 miles away and there are frequent busses and great caches there. Bradford-on-Avon is a short train journey away.

It takes more planning without a car; and there will be some caches which it is hard to get to. But I would think with local busses you can get to a lot of caches using any largish town or city as a starting point.

If you have more time, the other option would be to do a long distance trail from point A to B, finding caches along the way and staying overnight some places.

Lol. That's 3 poster from the Swindon area... :)

Like redsox said get a train into one of the bigger towns. Swindon does have some nice areas with caches but not many caches in the area of the town centre. Buses are frequent here so lots of areas are accessible to you. there's Lydiard which has one of redsoxs caches there and that's my favorite cache.

Then there's places like coate water which has some good caches (though i think some are missing at the moment...)

Or a little further away is some of K9's caches in Wanborough which again is reachable fairly easily in fact I have walked from coate up to Wanborough (i was knackered by the time i got there and the dog wasn't helping... :/)

If it's a good walk you are after with plenty of caches the new Great Cotswold Walk power trail might be for you? The trail is more about the walk than the quality of the cache hides, but even though it's a long one, the terrain is fairly easy going. There's 130 caches in the whole series, plus a couple of extras added just after launch to link the loops (there's three loops if you want to break the whole thing down a bit). Plus a few other older caches which can be taken in at the same time.

The series has been planned to start and finish from the village of Quenington, near Cirencester. Buses often run through Cirencester from out of the area, including National Express ones. The hardest part to plan for you would be to get from Ciren to Quenington or Fairford, but I am sure a local cacher could help you out with that bit of the journey if you asked, I would if I happened to be about.

Edited to say: Just saw your post sparklefingers, lol, am another cacher near Swindon :grin:

Edited by Gackt

If it's a good walk you are after with plenty of caches the new Great Cotswold Walk power trail might be for you? The trail is more about the walk than the quality of the cache hides, but even though it's a long one, the terrain is fairly easy going. There's 130 caches in the whole series, plus a couple of extras added just after launch to link the loops (there's three loops if you want to break the whole thing down a bit). Plus a few other older caches which can be taken in at the same time.

The series has been planned to start and finish from the village of Quenington, near Cirencester. Buses often run through Cirencester from out of the area, including National Express ones. The hardest part to plan for you would be to get from Ciren to Quenington or Fairford, but I am sure a local cacher could help you out with that bit of the journey if you asked, I would if I happened to be about.

Edited to say: Just saw your post sparklefingers, lol, am another cacher near Swindon :grin:

Lol :grin:

yes that is another idea. I read that someone managed to do the whole loop in 11 hours? I keep looking at it and thinking yeah I could manage that.... and then I look again and think ARE YOU CRAZY?! that's a three parter series for me.