Military Ammo Canisters - Where to buy?

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows of an online retailer who sells these ammo canisters on the cheap side? I'm working on a special project and need around 20-30 canisters; cost-wise I'd like to spend $10 per canister, but less is always better :P

Edited by Yeah_meoW

You'll be running into a couple of problems...

First, an ammo can (never actually heard of an ammo "canister") in workable/functional/fair condition through a retailer probably isn't going to come close to your $10 mark.

Second, speaking of online retailers, I think you may well have forgotten about shipping. They are a little on the bulky side, ya know.

They can be had, but you probably should forget retailers... shipping is a problem in its own right.

This of course, is addressing true ammo cans. There are aftermarket plastic things that are sometimes sold off as "ammo cans".

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows of an online retailer who sells these ammo canisters on the cheap side? I'm working on a special project and need around 20-30 canisters; cost-wise I'd like to spend $10 per canister, but less is always better :P

By any chance is your "special project" creating a power trail?! :laughing:

Unfortunately it seems that the days of cheap ammo cans are over, unless you are willing to buy a pallet at an auction. I recall when Cheaperthandirt sold six .30 cal ammo cans for $19 ($28 with shipping), but I haven't seen those prices at any retailer since 2005ish.

A couple years ago our local geocaching organization bought a pallet at an auction and came out to about $2 a can. That might be an option if you have a pickup, or other method of transporting them. Take what you need and you can make your money back by selling the rest to local geocachers.

Edited by briansnat

Unfortunately it seems that the days of cheap ammo cans are over, unless you are willing to buy a pallet at an auction. I recall when Cheaperthandirt sold six .30 cal ammo cans for $19 ($28 with shipping), but I haven't seen those prices at any retailer since 2005ish.

A couple years ago our local geocaching organization bought a pallet at an auction and came out to about $2 a can. That might be an option if you have a pickup, or other method of transporting them. Take what you need and you can make your money back by selling the rest to local geocachers.

Cabelas.com, same price for six, same era. :) I do know a couple guys who went in on a pallet, but I've never really discussed the details with them. Even that was a good 5 years ago.

I've noticed Amazon.com always has them, but the prices will knock your socks off. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Do you have any Army (or Military) surplus stores in your area? Might check there?

It was even nicer back when Brian placed a caches of ammo cans for each local cacher. Except the having to slide on my rear end down the hill with 3 ammo cans tied to my pack.

Unfortunately it seems that the days of cheap ammo cans are over, unless you are willing to buy a pallet at an auction. I recall when Cheaperthandirt sold six .30 cal ammo cans for $19 ($28 with shipping)<<SNIP>>

http://www.cachingcontainers.com/sf/Custom_Geocache_Containers

This large 30cal ammo can is our favorite container for a large hide. A 30cal ammo can is large enough to hold the biggest and best swag around. With a strong latch and a waterproof seal on the inside of the lid, this ammo can will keep the ...

More Info...

Price : $24.00

I know a guy in Grand RApids that has a good supply of these - some people call him the can man.

james kuipers 616-975-9752 he has 30 cal, 50 cal fat 50 and some bigger cans too.

if you are in the west mi area it is even better than online since you do not have to pay shipping.. although he ships them everywhere too.

hope that helps

any swap meet in WI you can find ammo cans for 7.62 cal ammo for $8 each the next size bigger for about $12 each I actually went to a garage sale and bought several ammo cans(7.62 cal) for $5 (package deal) delaneys surpls in sauk county wi had a pile of them last time i was there (my pre geaocache days)not sure of price

Edited by sasqwatches