Average distance from home

I was looking at the profile stats on project-gc.com and noticed that it displays the average Km from home for all my finds. I discovered that the FindStatsGen GSAK macro also displays distance from home (but in miles). I was a bit surprised by the number. The stats pages indicate that the average distance from home for all my finds is 423miles (682 KM).

What's yours.

I was looking at the profile stats on project-gc.com and noticed that it displays the average Km from home for all my finds. I discovered that the FindStatsGen GSAK macro also displays distance from home (but in miles). I was a bit surprised by the number. The stats pages indicate that the average distance from home for all my finds is 423miles (682 KM).

What's yours.

My average distance away is 148 km - I have a 'double peak' distribution of distances: more than 50% are less than 20km away, but almost 25% are 500 - 1000km away because I regularly visit my family far away, and when I do I always manage to find a few caches...

Mine is 1059km from home... I find heaps of caches when I travel(around every 6mo. ATM) and find only around 20 a month when I am at home...

My average distance from home is 50 miles, a nice, pleasing round number if I ever saw one.

That stat doesn't include my finds from yesterday. Then again, I didn't travel that far. :D

--Larry

My average distance is 336km / 209 miles from home. One of my long-term goals is to continue having more than 50% of my finds be more than 100 miles from my home coordinates. Geocaching for me is about visiting new places and seeing the spots that the locals think are interesting. It's fun keeping up with that goal over 5000 cache hunts.

My average distance is 336km / 209 miles from home. One of my long-term goals is to continue having more than 50% of my finds be more than 100 miles from my home coordinates. Geocaching for me is about visiting new places and seeing the spots that the locals think are interesting. It's fun keeping up with that goal over 5000 cache hunts.

Average 191 miles, which coincidently is the exact distance from my house to The Leprechaun's, as the crow flies.

Geocaching for me is about visiting new places and seeing the spots that the locals think are interesting. It's fun keeping up with that goal over 5000 cache hunts.

+1. I suspect if anything my average distance from home and percentage of caches over 100 miles from home will only increase (an upcoming trip to Istanbul and Addis Abba is going to help) as I'm finding that I'm losing interest in geocaching close to home.

I've only got 22% of my finds more than 100 miles from home, but half of those are over 1000 miles from home.

My average distance from home is 50 miles, a nice, pleasing round number if I ever saw one.

That stat doesn't include my finds from yesterday. Then again, I didn't travel that far. :D

--Larry

Ours is only 94km. Guess we've have some good caching in the c-bus area...but lately we have been venturing out as not too many 3-3.5 Ts are being placed.

--Larry

Ours is only 94km. Guess we've have some good caching in the c-bus area...but lately we have been venturing out as not too many 3-3.5 Ts are being placed.

I don't particularly go for high-terrain caches (for one thing, I no longer do any serious tree-climbing), but I do look for caches that take me to interesting places and give me some decent exercise. I don't often look for caches in Columbus itself; I was raised in C-bus, so I already know the city fairly well, and urban caches just don't do anything for me. I tend to head for the countryside when I go caching these days. There are still lots of hidden treasures in Ohio I haven't explored, so I'm expecting that "average distance from home" stat to increase over time.

--Larry

1133 km or 704 miles here. Like many statistical samples they are skewed a bit.

The CO of one of my early virt finds edited the coords to N89° 00.000 W99° 00.000.

And I have found 89 locationless caches, some of which were listed as being in European countries including one I have not visited yet. Still, there are only a small handful of outliers with bad numbers influencing that distance.

But with over 2500 finds in Nevada over 2000 miles from home, the numbers should still be somewhat accurate.

Edited by wimseyguy

1133 km or 704 miles here. Like many statistical samples they are skewed a bit.

The CO of one of my early virt finds edited the coords to N89° 00.000 W99° 00.000.

And I have found 89 locationless caches, some of which were listed as being in European countries including one I have not visited yet. Still, there are only a small handful of outliers with bad numbers influencing that distance.

But with over 2500 finds in Nevada over 2000 miles from home, the numbers should still be somewhat accurate.

I'm impressed with some of the numbers people have posted. It demonstrates that this is not just a game that you play in your own back yard.

In my case,

I have never done a power trail

My home coordinates have not changed since I started caching

I've never found a locationless cache

Project-GC says my average is 212 km, but a more accurate number would be the one from FindStatGen, which is 209 km, because my "Finds" GSAK database uses the real final location of any multi or puzzle I've found.

Out of curiosity I tried it again, but excluded any of my 44 finds in Europe and southern Africa, as well as 3 moving caches. The average comes way down to only 39 km. It does seem like I find most of my caches "in my backyard", but I've visited countless areas I probably wouldn't have otherwise, and there have been tons of interesting discoveries or adventures. I've also found a lot of the caches close to home, and I'm ranging farther and farther for my caching trips, so the average is likely gradually going up. Once my employment situation stabilizes, I hope to get to traveling again, and that average should go up significantly.

I don't see an 'average distance from home' listed on my GSAK FSG results. The closest thing I can find would be the center of my cache centroid which is 55 Miles from home. Any such average distance for me will also be a bit inaccurate since I found a Moving Cache while it was near me in Florida, but it is now in Canada; I don't know how to tell FSG to ignore that cache for distance stat purposes (other than excluding it from my GSAK filter, which would exclude it from ALL my stats).

I don't see an 'average distance from home' listed on my GSAK FSG results. The closest thing I can find would be the center of my cache centroid which is 55 Miles from home. Any such average distance for me will also be a bit inaccurate since I found a Moving Cache while it was near me in Florida, but it is now in Canada; I don't know how to tell FSG to ignore that cache for distance stat purposes (other than excluding it from my GSAK filter, which would exclude it from ALL my stats).

I guess it depends on what version of the FSG macro you're using. It shows up for me just under the "Finds by Miles From Home" bar graph. SInce the FSG macro runs off a "my finds" database I don't see you you could exclude it from from the distance statitics without excluding it from all the other stats. If you're good with HTML you could generate stats with the moving cache moved out of the database, then put it back in and generate the stats againt. They you'd have to cut-n-paste the html fragment out of FSG output and replace that section in the other. Seems like a lot of work. You could probably exclude it from a a section of the stats using a user data column but that would require a modification to the macro. For example, you could add the "User Data" column and the code for generating a specific section could test if contained the "ignore" string.

I guess it depends on what version of the FSG macro you're using. It shows up for me just under the "Finds by Miles From Home" bar graph.

I logged into Project-GC for the first time and it says my average distance is 129 km (80 miles). Some quick calculations suggest the Moving Cache is only affecting this by about 1 km.

Upon further thought, I bet I have the "Finds by Miles From Home" graph disabled in FSG along with other graphs/stats that seem redundant to those already on my GC.com profile.

Any such average distance for me will also be a bit inaccurate since I found a Moving Cache while it was near me in Florida, but it is now in Canada

I've found 3 moving caches, and what I did was set the corrected coordinates in GSAK to where I found the cache. For the purpose of stat calculations, it just makes sense to me to use the coordinates I actually found it at, and using corrected coordinates prevents it from updating and moving all over the place every time I load in a My Finds.

1317 miles with 30% of finds less than ten miles from home and 40% more than 1000 miles from home.

As local caching ennui has set in, the average distance from home will continue to grow as I use geocaching to find those really cool spots in areas I travel to.

Edited by Ladybug Kids

Average distance 80 miles. Airplanes don't like dolphins, and dolphins don't like airplanes! (I'm a large dolphin...) Only two flying trips: Newark to Charleston, SC, and Halifax to St John's Newfoundland. And a log drive to Minnesota. So, for me, that's not bad! Two centers for my local caching. My caching partner lives thirty miles east. We alternate. So that might skew things a bit.

May go to Hawaii next year (if they can sedate me for ten hours...) Otherwise, I mostly cache near the Dolphinarium or the Bear Cave. (Guess that's why I'm still in the top ten for cache fiders on Manhattan Island! 350 finds in New York County.)

My stats don't show an average and I am too lazy to calculate, but about 60% are more than 5000 miles from home and over 40% are over 7500 miles. I would guess this makes my average pretty darned high. I live in Houston and have dome most of my caching is Western Australia with quite a bit more in Europe and Africa. I guess what that really means is I haven't done that much caching around home. By the way, most of the Australian caches are more than 10,000 miles with the furthest from home 10564.989 miles!