Progress on MANY MANY fronts.

I see a lot of people who just EPIC FAIL at just being happy. We share a hobby and an interest that has given all of us a chance to get out and enjoy this great world. On Earth Day Weekend, even though my group event fell through, I was able to get out and score 11 new caches. The bags I had intended to use as a group deal, I still filled. The Monterrey, TN police dept thought I was nuts. But 30 minutes later when I walked out of the woods with 2 trash bags full of liquor bottles, and much assorted junk, they took me to lunch at one of their little hole in the wall BBQ joints, and wanted to know all about GEOCACHING. It was a good day. I'd just like to see a place where everyone loves the hobby.

FWIW

DOCSpanky

I see a lot of people who just EPIC FAIL at just being happy.

Now that's hitting the nail right on the head. I've read a few threads about lost caches and trackables and the drama over it is so amazing that you wonder why they bother. In fairness though, a bunch of them are threatening to quit playing. I fished with a guy **once** who complained the whole time about losing his rigging to snags and the occasional fish. My own fault too because thinking back on it every fishing trip he talked about involved how many lures he lost. He didn't seem to be enjoying fishing.

Great you went ahead and did the trash pick up anyway. Not sure whether you meant the law thought you were crazy for geocaching or for picking up the trash. I've run into more than a few people who think I'm crazy for picking up trash.

Good post. Good on you Doc.

I see a lot of people who just EPIC FAIL at just being happy. We share a hobby and an interest that has given all of us a chance to get out and enjoy this great world.

illegitimi non carborundum

There's just no hope for some people. Give 'em 10 million dollars and they will complain about the taxes.

At least they provide entertainment and smug superior feelings for the rest of us.

It was a good day. I'd just like to see a place where everyone loves the hobby.

FWIW

DOCSpanky

Never gonna happen. You can't please everyone.

My wife thinks geocaching is about the dumbest activity ever. Some people will just never love it.

I swear that there is possibly a majority of cachers who stick with the hobby for pure self abuse if the complaints about one aspect of geocaching or the other are taken into account.

To those we can't please..... If you're not having fun with the activity you CHOOSE to spend your free quality time doing then you're doing it wrong or perhaps geoching just isn't your thang.... (Anymore)

Keep that positive attitude Doc. You're doin' it right. :)

Edited by Snoogans

I am just happier and healthier since I started. I know some folks would bitch if you handed them a crispy $20, and they had to find someplace to break it to buy a coke. I have met more people, been more places, seen spectacular things, learned interesting and often never told stories about many many places. I look at the blogs, and the "Craziest caches". My biggest complaint this week is that my cousin, also a geocacher, will log not only an out of the country cache this week, but an UNDERWATER cache as well. I guess I put too much belief in people. Probably why I am divorced at 39, and using "Billion dollar SATS to look for tupperware in the woods". As for the cops, after they walked into the woods where I was at, and they saw the ingenuity of the hide, GC42VGW , I am pretty sure they both are at least thinking heavily about it. Oh well. Not gonna let folks steal my joy. I'd love to get a t-shirt with Capt. Piccard in that generic questioning state saying "WTF would you hide a nano in the woods?"..... LOLS!

I see a lot of people who just EPIC FAIL at just being happy. We share a hobby and an interest that has given all of us a chance to get out and enjoy this great world. On Earth Day Weekend, even though my group event fell through, I was able to get out and score 11 new caches. The bags I had intended to use as a group deal, I still filled. The Monterrey, TN police dept thought I was nuts. But 30 minutes later when I walked out of the woods with 2 trash bags full of liquor bottles, and much assorted junk, they took me to lunch at one of their little hole in the wall BBQ joints, and wanted to know all about GEOCACHING. It was a good day. I'd just like to see a place where everyone loves the hobby.

FWIW

DOCSpanky

I enjoyed your story very much, great job. But I'm curious as to why you've appeared to use it as an opportunity to take a swipe at the whiners and complainers out there? Are you talking about here in the Groundspeak forums? Fewer than 12% of of all the people who have ever signed up for a Geocaching.com account have ever even once looked at these forums, let alone post to them. Yes, there is a way you can tell this, it's right at the bottom of the main forum page (along with the knowledge there are about 7,000,000 accounts, and some basic division skills. :laughing:)

Or I don't know, have you observed, or been involved in some sort of local Geo-drama? That's everywhere. If the whining and complaining of a minute minority of the Geocaching populace in these forums bothers you, I'd say just ignore it.

I think he's talking in general, not caching. "I know some folks would bitch if you handed them a crispy $20, and they had to find someplace to break it to buy a coke"

There are some people that will suck the joy our of everything, or at least try, and he's not going to let them!

I feel the same but sometimes they just sneak in and get you.

I think he's talking in general, not caching. "I know some folks would bitch if you handed them a crispy $20, and they had to find someplace to break it to buy a coke"

There are some people that will suck the joy our of everything, or at least try, and he's not going to let them!

I feel the same but sometimes they just sneak in and get you.

I could be way off, but I'm sure DOC will be by soon. It just seemed to me that he was taking shots at the forum, and collectively lecturing them for their non-Utopian behavior on an internet message board. All while telling a great story; which could have stood on it's own, I'm sure. :D

Actually I am as far from "UTOPIAN" as you might imagine. :ph34r: It was a generalized statement about the loss of your average American's ability to "Look on the bright side".

A vast portion of American society has entitlement and expectation issues which cast a dark cloud over the American bright side.

Many are completely unaware that their insignificant lifetime would be beyond the wildest dreams of people in certain other countries.

Based on years of observations of the human condition, and much of the past 30 spent working in the hospitality business, I have come to the conclusion that 10% of the population takes pleasure from being unhappy. I refer to them as 'ten-percenters.' Fortunately the number seems to be quite a bit lower in the geocaching community. I think the OP has chosen his new found hobby wisely and welcome him to the group. B)

Actually I am as far from "UTOPIAN" as you might imagine. :ph34r: It was a generalized statement about the loss of your average American's ability to "Look on the bright side".

OK, my bad then. I thought you were dissing the forum or some local geo-drama participants. :lol:

HECK NO..... If your ever in my neck of the woods, I'll be happy to show you how "NON-UTOPIAN" I am...... I'm the last guy you want to surprise in the woods. "No better friend, no WORSE enemy"...... :blink: