Getting Started With GSAK

daddysbike

So I've been using easy GPS (it is quite easy) and would like to know what the advantages are to GSAK.

Also how do you import pocket quires into it and send to device?

Finally how do you delete all the geocaches (pocket query)so you can add a new set and will doing so cause any finds to be lost from gsak?

Thanks,

Steve

So I've been using easy GPS (it is quite easy) and would like to know what the advantages are to GSAK.

Also how do you import pocket quires into it and send to device?

Finally how do you delete all the geocaches (pocket query)so you can add a new set and will doing so cause any finds to be lost from gsak?

GSAK is a database driven program. You can sort a database by difficulty, date placed, terrain difficulty, container type, all kinds of parameters.

To get a PQ into GSAK you create a database name, and then drag and drop the PQ into that database. This way you can have several databases in the program at teh same time. I happen to have about 10-15 databases containing all kinds of information for various challenges and general caching runs.

To delete a PQ from GSAK, all you do is delete the database, simple as that. One of the databases that you probably would want to keep and maintain is a "My Finds" database. You can then download the My Finds pq and dump that into the database on your computer. Deletion of any database only delets that database and no other.

To send a database to your GPS, there is a button in the program to do that.

For more detailed info, go to the GSAK site and ask questions in the forums there. Clyde and the other users will be more than happy to help you out.

I use easy GPS as mentioned and it really is easy.

For me GSAK is not intuitive.

If somebody has the time & patientce could you please list step by step how you get a pocket query into GSAK and later delete to add another?

Thanks,

Steve

1. I download my PQ from GC.COM to my desktop

2. I rename the desktop file to " Hunt "

3. Open GSAK

4. Click on " Database "

5. Click on " NEW "

6. Name the database

7. Click on " File "

8. Click on Load GPX/LOC/ZIP

9. At the top find your Hunt file in desktop.

10. Click on your Hunt file

11. Click on Open

12. Click on O.K.

You're done

To load it to your GPS :

1. Click on GPS up top

2. Click on Send Waypoints

The next screen should be configured for you particular GPS etc. then :

3. Click on SEND

No need to ever delete a database but if you want to :

1. Click on Database above

2. Click on Select

3. Click on any Database OTHER than the one you want to delete.

then:

1. Click on database

2. Click on Delete

3. Select the database to be deleted

4. Click on delete

GSAK.net has a forum...

That forum is no help. That's why so many people ask here so often, out of frustration. It's fine to send them back there anyway.

Really? I have found that the forums on Gsak.net are the most helpful of any forum I have ever visited. Within an hour at most my questions are answered and if something is broken within a day Clyde has a patch for it.

GSAK.net has a forum...

That forum is no help. That's why so many people ask here so often, out of frustration. It's fine to send them back there anyway.

Really? I have found that the forums on Gsak.net are the most helpful of any forum I have ever visited. Within an hour at most my questions are answered and if something is broken within a day Clyde has a patch for it.

All the GSAK posts around here demonstrate I'm right. :ph34r:

I use easy GPS as mentioned and it really is easy.

For me GSAK is not intuitive.

If somebody has the time & patientce could you please list step by step how you get a pocket query into GSAK and later delete to add another?

Thanks,

Steve

1. I download my PQ from GC.COM to my desktop

2. I rename the desktop file to " Hunt "

3. Open GSAK

4. Click on " Database "

5. Click on " NEW "

6. Name the database

7. Click on " File "

8. Click on Load GPX/LOC/ZIP

9. At the top find your Hunt file in desktop.

10. Click on your Hunt file

11. Click on Open

12. Click on O.K.

You're done

To load it to your GPS :

1. Click on GPS up top

2. Click on Send Waypoints

The next screen should be configured for you particular GPS etc. then :

3. Click on SEND

1. Click on Database above

2. Click on Select

3. Click on any Database OTHER than the one you want to delete.

then:

1. Click on database

2. Click on Delete

3. Select the database to be deleted

4. Click on delete

Thank You!!!!

Steve

GSAK.net has a forum...

As far as I'm concerned, the GSAK forums are amongst the most helpful and responsive forums I've ever hung out in. And I've been hanging out there for almost seven years.

As far as people asking questions about GSAK on these forums, a lot of them seem to be under the impression that GSAK is some sort of offshoot or subsidiary of Groundspeak, which, of course, it isn't. But the amazing integration between Groundspeak and GSAK could leave you with that impression.

For folks with questions about GSAK, you'll get quicker and more helpful answers there than here.

--Larry

GSAK.net has a forum...

But you have never made a post asking for help on the GSAK forum (I just did a search and couldn't find any posts by you), so I am baffled as to how you come to such a conclusion.

Edited by ClydeE

GSAK.net has a forum...

But you have never made a post asking for help on the GSAK forum (I just did a search and couldn't find any posts by you),

I only ever asked one question there [EDIT: I checked that forum post, and yes it did get replies, and I think the correct answer after I referred to the OP a second time. Yay!].

so I am baffled as to how you come to such a conclusion.

It's just a theory on why there are so many GSAK posts around here, despite suggestions to ask the source. But larryc43230 has a compelling explanation, too, above. I think my conclusion is better. :anibad:

Edited by kunarion

I can't think of a product I like better than GSAK or a person more helpful than Clyde.

I agree there seems to be some confusion re. GSAK & GC.Com.

However the OP wanted step by step instructions not to be sent off to various web links. Over the years many times I have sought step by step ( as a child could understand )instructions for various things and I can tell you to get them is rare. The more expert someone is on a subject the less able they seem to be to " dumb it down ".

There are tons of technical subjects on these forums and I come here to learn. On occasion I can dispense guidance because while I don't know much what I know I've learned in a simple way and can dispense it in like manner.

From daddysbike post #10 above:

Concur that there is rarely any need to delete all the waypoints AND the database...unless it was for a one-time use or similar. For general use, it's kinda a good idea to not delete the waypoints, so you can build a found it/DNF history for the caches you're interested in. However, if you do wish to dump all the waypoints in a database, but keep the database, an alternative method to the above:

1)open the database to be cleaned

2)Click Database on the top Command line

3)Click "Delete all waypoints" then confirm

You now have an empty database, ready to be used for your next adventure.

1. down load pocket query to desk top

2. right click on it and rename pocket query

3. open GSAK

4. click on database on top bar

5. click on new

6. name the database

7. click create

8. down size GSAK so you can see desk top

9. drag and drop the renamed pocket query into blank space in GSAK

10. maximize GSAK

Edited by Heli Leo

Thanks everybody.

I have another ? though.

Should I create a new database for each different pocket query?

My reasoning for this is that I only want the 500 caches closest to where I currently am and I will have a pocket query for each location.

When in a new city I will clear my gps (60CSx) of all the previous caches and send the new query and manage it through gsak.

Is this the proper/efficient/logical way to do things?

I have only found 20 caches and its been a couple of years since we've done any geocaching and all finds have been managed through easy GPS. Our kids just have not been that into it but my wife and I enjoy it. So basically I'm a rookie looking for the best way to manage our caches.

Thanks again and keep any tips coming,

Steve

Thanks everybody.

I have another ? though.

Hey, kilobytes are cheap. :) It is perfectly logical to have a database for each of your locations, and I do a lot of the same. Make as many as you want (I'm sure there's an upper limit, but I have no idea what it may be...but it's more than 25). So, if having separate databases for Location A, and B, and C works for you to keep everything organized, more power to ya.

As an alternative (offered in case this makes more sense to you) :) , if the locations are far enough away from each other, say in different States or Counties, you could keep everything in one large database, then simply filter the database for caches in the State or County (or whatever) of choice...and send the filtered result to your GPS.

Thanks everybody.

I have another ? though.

Hey, kilobytes are cheap. :) It is perfectly logical to have a database for each of your locations, and I do a lot of the same. Make as many as you want (I'm sure there's an upper limit, but I have no idea what it may be...but it's more than 25). So, if having separate databases for Location A, and B, and C works for you to keep everything organized, more power to ya.

As an alternative (offered in case this makes more sense to you) :) , if the locations are far enough away from each other, say in different States or Counties, you could keep everything in one large database, then simply filter the database for caches in the State or County (or whatever) of choice...and send the filtered result to your GPS.

Nice! Thank you,

Steve

Thanks everybody.

I have another ? though.

My reasoning for this is that I only want the 500 caches closest to where I currently am and I will have a pocket query for each location.

When in a new city I will clear my gps (60CSx) of all the previous caches and send the new query and manage it through gsak.

I have only found 20 caches and its been a couple of years since we've done any geocaching and all finds have been managed through easy GPS. Our kids just have not been that into it but my wife and I enjoy it. So basically I'm a rookie looking for the best way to manage our caches.

Steve

I create one for most of my PQ's.....I have a " HUNT " PQ/Database = 500 caches I haven't found closest to my house. A " Mine" PQ/Database of all my hides. A " ALL" PQ/Database showing ALL caches....I use this when I'm hiding. I also maintain PQ/Databases for the cities / areas surrounding my home base.

For vacations I create about 40 PQ/Databases which include places I will visit as well as " Caches along a route ".

Thanks everybody.

I have another ? though.

Steve

Here is the way I do it.

I keep an active database for my local area of 50 mile radius. It takes me 4 PQ's to get it all in, I run it twice a week. This is so I am not searching for caches that are unavailable. If you are going to keep a database that is important, or you may end up sliding down a hill on wet leaves and wrenching an ankle looking for a cache that was disabled weeks ago. shock.gif You can find information on running queries to get an entire area here at Markwell's excellent page, scroll down to tips and tricks. After loading the new queries into your old database, sort by last update GPX. the ones that didn't get updated are either disabled or archived. You can then do a status check on them in GSAK or just delete them. I like to keep the disabled ones in the interest of possibly hiding a cache and knowing there isn't a disabled one too close. And then because there are too many in there to fit on my gps I made a filter by county and use that to trim it down to reasonable size to send to my GPS (which I use a GSAK macro for)

Anywho.....I keep the databases for places I go often, like on business or to visit relatives, or events that happen in the same place every year. Other ones I delete and get fresh ones when I need them. I have a relatively fast machine but it just makes GSAK close slower if you let it back up everytime if there tons of databases...and really why do you need all the old ones. But there are probably folks who keep them all or keep none.......all up to the individual.

Edited by hallycat

Thanks everybody.

I have another ? though.

Steve

Here is the way I do it.

I keep an active database for my local area of 50 mile radius. It takes me 4 PQ's to get it all in, I run it twice a week. This is so I am not searching for caches that are unavailable. If you are going to keep a database that is important, or you may end up sliding down a hill on wet leaves and wrenching an ankle looking for a cache that was disabled weeks ago. shock.gif You can find information on running queries to get an entire area here at Markwell's excellent page, scroll down to tips and tricks. After loading the new queries into your old database, sort by last update GPX. the ones that didn't get updated are either disabled or archived. You can then do a status check on them in GSAK or just delete them. I like to keep the disabled ones in the interest of possibly hiding a cache and knowing there isn't a disabled one too close. And then because there are too many in there to fit on my gps I made a filter by county and use that to trim it down to reasonable size to send to my GPS (which I use a GSAK macro for)

Anywho.....I keep the databases for places I go often, like on business or to visit relatives, or events that happen in the same place every year. Other ones I delete and get fresh ones when I need them. I have a relatively fast machine but it just makes GSAK close slower if you let it back up everytime if there tons of databases...and really why do you need all the old ones. But there are probably folks who keep them all or keep none.......all up to the individual.

Helpful info. Thank you.

I'm a little unclear what you mean by "keeping" or "updating" a database (and somebody above referred to "maintaining" a database.

From some of the things I've read it sounds like I should be able to download a PQ of my local area, then somehow "update" it from time to time with new info (new logs, caches that have been disabled/enabled, etc) without downloading a whole new PQ of my local area. Am I understanding that right? Is it possible to do that? From what you're describing above, the "update" seems to be in the form of a new PQ(s) that you load on top of the old database - is that the only way to "update"? (I didn't even know you could load a new PQ on to an old database - learning stuff. :) )

...snip...

...snip...

Helpful info. Thank you.

I'm a little unclear what you mean by "keeping" or "updating" a database (and somebody above referred to "maintaining" a database.

From some of the things I've read it sounds like I should be able to download a PQ of my local area, then somehow "update" it from time to time with new info (new logs, caches that have been disabled/enabled, etc) without downloading a whole new PQ of my local area. Am I understanding that right? Is it possible to do that? From what you're describing above, the "update" seems to be in the form of a new PQ(s) that you load on top of the old database - is that the only way to "update"? (I didn't even know you could load a new PQ on to an old database - learning stuff. :) )

If I recall correctly, GSAK comes with some default settings (I say that as I don't remember being clever enough to do this...). :D If you load a PQ into a database, then some time later, re-run the exact same PQ, GSAK will merge all the new logs for the caches with new logs since your previous PQ... that's what is meant by updating. Do this several times, and over time, you can build a history of those caches; are they hard to find, lots of DNFs, maybe catch a spoiler of two, etc. Same as looking at the complete log history of a cache on the listing page, but condensed into the GSAK database format.

The reason I stated to ask these questions in the GSAK forum was from a moderator standpoint.

While GSAK is a fabulous tool written to enhance the experience of Geocaching.com and the data sets, it is a software with an AGREEMENT with Groundspeak, and not a Groundspeak product.

If you love those little ketchup packets of Heinz 57 that Burger King gives away and you want to know more about the ingredients, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to ask the people at Burger King's headquarters. They may be courteous enough to give you some answers, but it's better to go to the source.

Same here.

Markwell is right, the GSAK forum is really really good at getting answers, and Clyde is even better. Kunarion is just pretty typical of some of the people on this forum, they would rather badmouth someone or something without knowing anything about it, it seems like Clyde just proved that. It happens here a lot. This is probably the worst forum I've ever been on and since I tell things like they are I've been kicked off a couple of times. That doesn't bother me any. I like GSAK, their support on the forum is 1000 times more friendly than this forum ever was and the people on the GSAK forum actually know what they are talking about, not like the likes of kunarion, or whatever that name is. Ha ha, here we go again, I'll wait for the email to get booted.

From what you're describing above, the "update" seems to be in the form of a new PQ(s) that you load on top of the old database - is that the only way to "update"? (I didn't even know you could load a new PQ on to an old database - learning stuff. :) )

Just a quick tip. Look at the top menu bar in GSAK. Notice the section called Geocaching.com Access. Some really good buttons in there regarding "refreshing" databases. It won't update, such as add new caches into the DB, but it is an easy way to keep your current DB up to date. You can even load a generated PQ into a database right from there. Make a test DB with a PQ and play with it. the tabs and functions are pretty self explanatory.

Kunarion is just pretty typical of some of the people on this forum, they would rather badmouth someone or something without knowing anything about it, it seems like Clyde just proved that.

I simply agreed with everyone, that you must go to the GSAK forum to ask GSAK questions. I will try not to be so agreeable. :anicute:

Clyde "proved" that I didn't ask in the GSAK forum, but was incorrect. I did ask in that forum, had to re-ask, and eventually got part of an answer. I'm not making a typical badmouth, I was suggesting a reason based my actual experience, why there are so many questions in this forum when the GSAK one is said to be very helpful.

Edited by kunarion

I get that it's better to go to the proper source for info, but I've been to that forum. They have (as all forums do) the long list of FAQs and the multi-pointed getting started section. Before I post anything on that forum, I've gotta read through all that. Yuck. (Otherwise I risk getting the dreaded response, "Dude, didn't you read X Y Z before posting!") :D

It's like when your tech savvy friend is online and you ask him a question about some software that he's probably never used, when what you really should do is research it yourself, but it's so much easier to pick your friend's brain. When he says, "I have no effin clue," then you sigh, put your feet up and settle in for some long reading before you find your answer. (Or...more likely...you just decide you can keep doing things the way you have been doing them rather than put forth the effort. Yes, lazy indeed. :))

I appreciate the responses I've read here. Even if it's the wrong forum for these sorts of questions.

Thanks everybody.

I have another ? though.

Steve

Here is the way I do it.

Helpful info. Thank you.

Lets take my " HUNT " PQ ( 1000 caches I haven't found closest to my house ).....I used to auto download it on Fr, Sat,and Sun because it used to take the website quite awhile to do it at times. However if several caches are approved AFTER your PQ gets downloaded you can't download it again on the same day....bummer. The GC site now is quicker so I now download it just before I'm ready to roll. I then go to GSAK and delete my old HUNT database and create a new one with the new PQ.....only takes a minute or two and everything is then current to the minute......send the waypoints to all my units and off I go.

On long vacations I'm dealing with maybe 40 PQ / Databases.......I do them ahead of time but have really had no problems using 3 week old PQ/Databases. I create a DB named COMBO and copy ALL the other 40 DB's into it. I then use a macro in GSAK to load these 40,000 caches into Nuvi's as POI's.....I then have ALL the cache info on all these caches. As I travel every 2 or three days I'll put new DB's on my paperless units as well ( the info on the Nuvi is backup).....with all the databases in GSAK on my laptop you really don't need an internet connection ( which sometimes you don't have)...just load to you unit what is needed as the trip progresses.

Again, just a few things I do.