Create then abandon a cache? Absentee COs.

That is too much private information in my case. The arrangements may or may not even include someone else in my case.

Apparently the maintenance plan has been accepted, as three of the micro in the woods series were published today.

Yup...so in the end it was not an issue. Which I'm glad. I don't have to explain anything else. Perhaps it was just a backlog and not a real issue at all.

However, what about some info for your pals here in the forum? We've discussed this with you for a couple of days. What's up??

:omnomnom:

Apparently the maintenance plan has been accepted, as three of the micro in the woods series were published today.

Yup...so in the end it was not an issue. Which I'm glad. I don't have to explain anything else. Perhaps it was just a backlog and not a real issue at all.

However, what about some info for your pals here in the forum? We've discussed this with you for a couple of days. What's up??

:omnomnom:

I started to, but then realized it probably is best to just drop it at this point.

Most peoples fears of 'bad neighborhoods' is FALSE anyway. There are some pretty-white-people (euphemism) could use a little discomfort to better understand how silly their POV is. I learned this without geocaching. I would think geocachers would be a little more adventurous and willing to put away preconceptions. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think that your first statement is partially true. Through the decades, I have done work in every single neighborhood in Los Angeles. To deny that there are real risks and go out to the wrong spot on an "adventure" could get you in some serious trouble. If you there to do business or provide a service, you are generally left alone, or even welcomed. On the other hand, parking a late model car, getting out and walking around aimlessly with an expensive piece of electronics in your hand is the perfect definition of a victim, and you have a good chance of being one.

On the off topic in this topic: BAD neighborhoods.

I was born and raised in one that turned BAD.

We moved out as it got worse, years later the nearby area even had infamous riots.

I have travelled in and around there some 30-40 years later and though rebounds

look apparent I still perceive the area as a bit dicey. Very few caches in the area

and those I have sought have been down very cautiouslly.

Personally I wouldn't have placed them to invite cachers in not familiar with the area.

On the off topic in this topic: BAD neighborhoods.

I was born and raised in one that turned BAD.

We moved out as it got worse, years later the nearby area even had infamous riots.

I have travelled in and around there some 30-40 years later and though rebounds

look apparent I still perceive the area as a bit dicey. Very few caches in the area

and those I have sought have been down very cautiouslly.

Personally I wouldn't have placed them to invite cachers in not familiar with the area.

You are correct that the topic did stray. I just re-read the OP and the area was noted as a low income neighborhood. Everyone simply took that as an euphemism for bad, or high crime neighborhood. Fact is, I have been to many low income neighborhoods that were not bad and the residents had more respect for their surroundings and a stronger sense of community that those in some of the more exclusive parts of town.

Most peoples fears of 'bad neighborhoods' is FALSE anyway. There are some pretty-white-people (euphemism) could use a little discomfort to better understand how silly their POV is. I learned this without geocaching. I would think geocachers would be a little more adventurous and willing to put away preconceptions. Maybe I'm wrong.

First time anyone's called me pretty, if you're talking about me. :anicute:

Tell you what, the next night I hear semi automatic gunfire coming from the apparently not bad neighborhoods south and west of me, I'll let you know and you can hide a cache there. It's been a while, so we're due.

I visited a friend who lives in a low income neighborhood in the San Francisco Bay area.

There are no caches for many blocks around his house.

I was considering posting a few key-hides or small caches in the neighborhood, and then

when the log is full I would abandon them, or more correctly archive them.

I visit the area at best only once every 6 months, so I would not be able to

responsibly maintain the caches, but at least it would provide a visitor with

some caching opportunities.

Good idea? Or is that kind of thing frowned upon?

Might as well just place some nanos and have small logs show your friend and tell him when the times right to take them down

There are no caches for many blocks around his house.

EGADS, MAN! :yikes:

Surely you jest? :o

A blank area on the map? Something MUST be done! :P

Seriously, if someone who CAN maintain caches there hasn't/didn't/won't place them, there is probably a good reason.

Perhaps you can get your friend interested by taking him on a trip to an area that already has some caches. ;)

Someone did not place caches in a park beside my house for awhile now. so I went over there and did it there may not be a bad reason as to why no ones put them there

]Does a reviewer really think they should not approve something because of a question/intent said on the forum.

Absolutely. In fact, just such a scenario played out about a month ago. Someone in the forums publicly stated that they were planning on hiding something that was unequivocally against the guidelines (and possibly illegal, too). I brought that information to the attention of the primary reviewer in this area, and they thanked me profusely for letting them know. The cache in question hasn't yet been published.

I've also read in the forums before that reviewers in different regions will give each other a heads-up if they come into such information. I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of the reviewers that's active in the forums has already notified the California reviewers of the OPs post here.

It doesn't matter how a reviewer finds out about a guideline violation. If a cache violates the guidelines, it violates the guidelines.

so should we take a look at half the caches that violate including the military base caches that were taken away

If he is coming back once every six months that's taking care of it more than half the people caches in my area are big ?????

Edited by Off Grid

so should we take a look at half the caches that violate including the military base caches that were taken away

If you're talking about the geocaches on military bases in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kuwait, etc., you'll be happy to know that the reviewer that published those caches, erik88l-r, has been kind enough to make an exception so that geocachers who serve in a combat zone can still get a geocache in now and then.

Other than combat zone geocaches, there is no exception for us military cachers. I had a maintenance plan for the few caches I left behind in Germany (now archived). I have a maintenance plan in place for the few caches I still own in Virginia. I will have a maintenance plan to take care of the one or two caches I plan to keep active here in Alabama. All others, I archived before we moved and policed up the containers to avoid leaving geolitter.

I expect the same from other military cachers -- they should either have a valid maintenance plan in place for caches they leave behind when they move, or they should archive them (or adopt them out to a cacher who can maintain them).

This is a little late in the discussion but the first thing that stuck out in my mind was the planned lack of permanence for these caches. Who knows how long it would take to fill up those logs but the planned obsolesce is what makes this idea a non-starter.

5. Geocache Permanence

Geocaches are placed for the long term.

Cachers will expect your cache to remain in place for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (traveling caches), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for one-time events) will not be published.

Does a reviewer really think they should not approve something because of a question/intent said on the forum.

Absolutely. In fact, just such a scenario played out about a month ago. Someone in the forums publicly stated that they were planning on hiding something that was unequivocally against the guidelines (and possibly illegal, too).

We'd all like it if you'd go off-topic & tell us about the nefarious plan. What kind of cache was it??

if the area is good, like nice and cool stuff to show to a geocacher,

most likely there are all ready alot of geocaches in the area,

if not, and you live close, or got a maintenence plan, then feel free to create some.

Geocaching is a safe family outdoor game,

so if the area is not safe to go 24hr for young kids and wife alone,

then it is not a good place for a cache.

What some feel is a cool, fun, safe place

might be exactly what other fell is NOT.

it is always up to a geocacher to stay away,

if we feel it is not a good idea to go there,

but I would also make a NOTE log, and repport how I feel about it, just to help and inform others.

If I had any problems on the location, I will also contact a local reviewer and ask for archive.

Someone in my area did the same thing only they never removed/archived the caches. They placed their last cache in January of 2012 and have not placed a cache, provided maintenance on a cache, or even logged on since. Just leaves a bunch of decrepit, rotting caches lying around that can't be upgraded because they are still owned, sad sight really.