gps coordinates for a good restaurant

wes&jen

I like that geocacheing has rules to prevent commercial cache sites but when I road trip to geocache outside my back yard I usually end up hungry and end up eating at chain restaurants. Does anyone know if there are any web sites that list independent restaurants with their gps coordinates?

I doubt there is such a site or database. One thing about our sport is it gets you off the main highways and down the backroads. In Georgia that usually means that you'll pass a BBQ place or two.

And a tender smoked hog slathered in tangy sauce beats a Mcburger any day! We also find a lot of little cafe's that serve a big breakfast, CHEAP!

My advice is to put the techno stuff away for a while and follow your own senses when you're hungry. icon_wink.gif

quote:
My advice is to put the techno stuff away for a while and follow your own senses when you're hungry. icon_wink.gif

Good point, my grandpa was a truck driver, he said to get a good lunch go to the county seat and eat a the restaurant closet to the court house. I have also heard that if you want a good supper in the south ask a greasy mechanic where to recommend a bar-B-Q joint.

I do think it would be cool if there were a georestaurant.com website.

I was thinking it would be nice if there was at least a park/attraction/monument list somewhere so you could get the coordinates without having to go there first. Interested cashers could fan out and capture the locations of anything they thought was worthy in their area and create an entry. (There is a game for you! He/She that creates the most wins!) Is this already out there somplace and this new Cacher is missing it? Is there a site someplace that converts street addresses to GPS coordinates?

BTW: I thought someone at DQ corp would be pretty bright if they posted a page with all DQs listed so you would always know where the closest cone is. (Krispy Kreme too! icon_razz.gif). Food always tastes better if you had to go on a roadtrip to get it! They could give a little discount if you could tell them their location or show your GPSr. Just a thought.

This is my database website focusing on restaurants. It is set up for restaurant owners to enter their info into the database (for free) and create any coupons they would like customers to have.

I could easily add a field for the GPS coordinates to be displayed for each restaurant.

I am sure that many people in this group would add their favorite eating spot, but the database is set up to be for the actual owners to be entering the data. (this is to prevent false entries)

Hmmm, I wonder if their is any call for a side project for this. If there were enough interest, then maybe I will add the field.

Any thoughts?

stealyourcache.gif Half my life is spent explaining to Christians why I am a deadhead. The other half is spent explaining to deadheads why I am a Christian. -Dru Morgan

quote:
Originally posted by Dru Morgan:

I could easily add a field for the GPS coordinates to be displayed for each restaurant.

Hmmm, I wonder if their is any call for a side project for this. If there were enough interest, then maybe I will add the field.

Any thoughts?

I think it would be cool if you had both a field for the GPS coordinates and a log book so people can write about their experience.

quote:
Originally posted by Vegas Chris:

I found the coordinates for three resturants at an intersection down the road from my house. I am going to use it to "calibrate" my GPSr when I get a chance.

I know this is my laziness showing, but is there a way to download the waypoints from the site in LOC or GPX format?

Never cheat a computer out of a good day's work!

If you have a pc and a good up to date 2002 0r 2003 mapping program, you can do you own Coord' on your favorite place to eat or someplace out of town, or out of state. Use the location sensor and get your Lat & long and convert it to wgs84 at jeeep.com >>> It's fairly simply and you can do this , but you must make sure what map datum your mapping profgram is in? if not you will be off a bunch. It's easy and will help you on finding the correct spots when geocaching.

happy hunting

Continuouswave

Laurel, Mississippi

Mapping software such as DeLorme's Street Atlas or Map 'n Go, MS Streets & Trips, or Garmin's MetroGuide or City Select have thousands of restaurant locations included in their databases, both chains and independents. Some of the software will even allow you to search/filter for specific names or types of cuisine.

Once you find the restaurant you want, just pan the cursor over it to see the coords for that spot.

Worldtraveler

I happen to like good barbecue, so I'm always interested in trying new places, especially when out 'caching in unfamiliar territory.

Another Georgia geocacher, T. Jess Bowers, has put up a site of his favorite North Georgia BBQ joints, complete with GPS coordinates! I refer to his site often and even contributed one of my faves to the list. Check it out:

http://home.att.net/~tjbowers/bbq/cuemain.htm

--

Scott Johnson (ScottJ)