Can the iOS app be modified to save battery?

Condorito

I was just wondering if there is a way that geocaching can change the app so that it uses less battery...

This is currently the only way I geocache. When I use the app, battery consumption goes through the roof, and the ipad gets hot, and yeah. The iPhone also gets heaps of juice sucked out of it... I know that we should expect this because it uses location services and Internet, but there must be a way to reduce it. It's my most battery consuming app out of the 70 or so that I have...

The maps app uses location services and the Internet as well, and uses hardly any battery compared IMHO...

Just a thought... Any comments?

I was just wondering if there is a way that geocaching can change the app so that it uses less battery...

This is currently the only way I geocache. When I use the app, battery consumption goes through the roof, and the ipad gets hot, and yeah. The iPhone also gets heaps of juice sucked out of it... I know that we should expect this because it uses location services and Internet, but there must be a way to reduce it. It's my most battery consuming app out of the 70 or so that I have...

The maps app uses location services and the Internet as well, and uses hardly any battery compared IMHO...

Just a thought... Any comments?

I have the same issue. At best I can get 4 hours of caching out of my iPhone. I'm considering getting either a GPS unit or a "juice pack" or similar battery extender. I just found out that the juice pack, a Magellan case, and a few other companies make what I'm calling "booster units" that extend battery life and improve satellite reception.

I never thought these problems could be fixed by modifying the caching App--but if they can, a lot of iPhone cachers would be delighted!

1. A 'Car' power adapter for your device(s).

2. A 'lighter socket' extension cable with the plug end cut off, and solderless female spade terminals attached to the wire (be sure to color-code them for positive and negative).

3. A small gel-cell battery in your backpack (or more conveniently a belt-pack) to plug into.

$12 (and up) for the battery, $5 for the extension cable, $2 for the crimp-on terminals, and you probably already have the power adapter for your iPad and/or phone.

Should extend your mobility by several hours depending on the battery you choose.

1. A 'Car' power adapter for your device(s).

2. A 'lighter socket' extension cable with the plug end cut off, and solderless female spade terminals attached to the wire (be sure to color-code them for positive and negative).

3. A small gel-cell battery in your backpack (or more conveniently a belt-pack) to plug into.

$12 (and up) for the battery, $5 for the extension cable, $2 for the crimp-on terminals, and you probably already have the power adapter for your iPad and/or phone.

Should extend your mobility by several hours depending on the battery you choose.

Skip cutting the end off the cable and just get a lighter socket and attach it directly to the battery and plug the cable in.

The best solution might be if there was an option to suspend GPS use while keeping the app open. I use this function in geosphere when I am reading cache descriptions, walking to a cache location, or after I have started to search.

A good suggestion.

If I were concerned with battery consumption, I would check the direction and distance to see I need to go 0.8 miles south. Then change the display to one that doesn't use the GPS and then head south. Once I had gone a fair distance, open the app and check to see where I am in relation to the cache.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Once I am close enough, THEN keep the GPS 'running' to make the find.

The best solution might be if there was an option to suspend GPS use while keeping the app open. I use this function in geosphere when I am reading cache descriptions, walking to a cache location, or after I have started to search.

This sounds like a good idea... Maybe something on the wanted list for the ios app?

Thanks for the suggestion...

A good suggestion.

If I were concerned with battery consumption, I would check the direction and distance to see I need to go 0.8 miles south. Then change the display to one that doesn't use the GPS and then head south. Once I had gone a fair distance, open the app and check to see where I am in relation to the cache.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Once I am close enough, THEN keep the GPS 'running' to make the find.

It would be nice if there were some sort of function within the app to 'turn off' location services temporarily. This could be a button in the top right or left hand corner...

That would help save heaps of battery. Even if it automatically switched off when you didn't actively need it, such as when you are browsing caches. It could do the initial location lookup to show nearest caches, then disconnect until you select a cache, or even update every 20seconds or something like that. Maybe have it customizable in the app settings

In older versions of iOS you could turn off location services (the GPS) but took this option away in iOS 5

If you are speaking about ios in general, you can still turn location services off via Settings>Privacy>Location Services...

Still, in this case we would need it, just not a constant update of our location...

Just for anyone interested, I was having a look a tech stuff on SVPPLY, and I saw this thing called the Pocket Socket...

Apparently you charge stuff with it and it is a hand cranked generator...

Here is the website:

http://www.k-tor.com/hand-crank-generator/

It sounds like a good option for those in the Americas or Europe, but I think the socket won't work with chargers for those of us in Australia. :(

Just thought it was worht mentioning ;)

Just for anyone interested, I was having a look a tech stuff on SVPPLY, and I saw this thing called the Pocket Socket...

Apparently you charge stuff with it and it is a hand cranked generator...

Here is the website:

http://www.k-tor.com/hand-crank-generator/

It sounds like a good option for those in the Americas or Europe, but I think the socket won't work with chargers for those of us in Australia. :(

Just thought it was worht mentioning ;)

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Although the two pin socket is what we use in the U.S. (countries in Europe use several different configurations) you could easily get an adapter to convert the socket to what you use in Australia. Although the hand cranked generator puts out 120V (while most other countries use 220-240V) most phone transformers will work with 120-240V AC voltage input. If your phone charger doesn't you could probably get one that does (with the U.S. two pin configuration).

Sounds like a good trip... I might just end up buyin it and the apple world travel kit... I've read up on it and all iDevices are compatible with electricity worldwide(according to my understanding)...

Thanks again, and if anyone else has anything else to say or another idea please don't be shy!

Condorito

Sounds like a good trip... I might just end up buyin it and the apple world travel kit... I've read up on it and all iDevices are compatible with electricity worldwide(according to my understanding)...

Thanks again, and if anyone else has anything else to say or another idea please don't be shy!

Condorito

Instead of using a hand crank charger which produces 120V so that you can plug in a "wall charger" transformer you might try doing a search for a "USB hand crank charger". It's essentially a hand crank mechanism with a USB port on it. Then you can just plug a iPhone/iPad port to USB cable into the USB port and eliminate the transformer. There are several different versions on the market.

Not sure why I didn't think of this before, but perhaps a solar panel might be helpful?

I thought of something like this, but you would have to have it out... For example, we are going on a 4-day hike in august, and wont have any power... so it would be hard to mount it on my back, and wed only be stopping at night and for lunch or something like that...

But a god idea for stationary cachers without power....

WOW, I just used my phone the other day....it is RIDICULOUS how fast the battery dies. I went from 75% on the iPhone down to ZERO in about 15 minutes (it was coldish ~35°F). It did not use to be that bad (in 2011). Why is the app so much worse now? I mean, heck...what is the point of an app if you can't use it! I did make sure my battery was still up to snuff, and all checks out (normal discharge rate w/out app use).

I'm thinking I may just 1 star rate the app and get a cheap GPS and go semi-old school (not handwriting the caches, but downloading the caches I want into it). I'll do some more testing and report, but didn't think it was THAT bad!

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

WOW, I just used my phone the other day....it is RIDICULOUS how fast the battery dies. I went from 75% on the iPhone down to ZERO in about 15 minutes (it was coldish ~35°F). It did not use to be that bad (in 2011). Why is the app so much worse now? I mean, heck...what is the point of an app if you can't use it! I did make sure my battery was still up to snuff, and all checks out (normal discharge rate w/out app use).

I'm thinking I may just 1 star rate the app and get a cheap GPS and go semi-old school (not handwriting the caches, but downloading the caches I want into it). I'll do some more testing and report, but didn't think it was THAT bad!

The app does not control how much power the GPS chipset in the device consumes.

Have you tried measuring the discharge rate with another app that uses the location services, like google maps?

Have you tried measuring the discharge rate with another app that uses the location services, like google maps?

Whenever i use the built in Maps App(apple native), it does not use nearly as much battery. The maps app uses basically the same as the geocaching app-location services, and internet.

My battery does not get consumed SO fat(i.e 15mins) but it does get used much faster than i would expect it to. Apple states that from a full charge you should normally get 10hrs use time... Normally i get about that. Using the geocaching app to find caches, 3-4hrs maxx from 100%

to flat as in turns off.

I've used Maps (iOS 5 so still Google) and it lasts way longer. Never an issue. I'd say I get about 3 hours of use if nearly constant (like when I'm storm chasing).

I do blame some of the rapid discharge on the cold (I have NOT replicated the above in colder temperatures). That is why I mentioned it in the above post I made (fishing if folks noticed the same). I will be checking, but outside of the various upgrades to the app, there has been little change from when I first use the app ~1.5 years ago and did NOT experience the same. I am suspicious (though need proof) that the battery life issue is based on app programming to a degree, more so than anything else.

Edited by TheWeatherWarrior

I've used Maps (iOS 5 so still Google) and it lasts way longer. Never an issue. I'd say I get about 3 hours of use if nearly constant.

I do blame some of the rapid discharge on the cold (I have NOT replicated the above in colder temperatures). That is why I mentioned it in the above post I made (fishing if folks noticed the same). I will be checking, but outside of the various upgrades to the app, there has been little change from when I first use the app ~1.5 years ago and did NOT experience the same. I am suspicious (though need proof) that the battery life issue is based on app programming to a degree, more so than anything else.

On a slightly-related note, this is the first winter in which I have geocached with an iPhone and I am pleased with its performance in -40 Celsius weather (when the specs of the device indicate 0 Celsius as the bottom of the operating temperature range).

Meanwhile, i tried to find out more about the iOS API and how you get the location from it, on this page:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/CoreLocation/Reference/CoreLocation_Framework/_index.html

As I would expect from Apple hardware/software, access to the Core Location information is read-only. System calls allow you to retrieve the lat/long, altitude and bearing but I don't see anything in there to push anything back to the hardware.

More reading shows me that there were issues with version 5 of the iOS itself polling the GPS too often to figure out what time zone it was in: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3391947?start=1785&tstart=0

Are you using the latest iOS (6.1) on your device?

No, I purposely am NOT upgrading. Too many bugs with iOS 6 still.

Without information on what iOS you are running now, I can't compare for you the relative merits of which is worse -- the possible iOS 5 bug of draining your battery unnecessarily, or the non-specific allegations of bugs in 6.1 (which thankfully I have yet to see).

No, I purposely am NOT upgrading. Too many bugs with iOS 6 still.

Without information on what iOS you are running now, I can't compare for you the relative merits of which is worse -- the possible iOS 5 bug of draining your battery unnecessarily, or the non-specific allegations of bugs in 6.1 (which thankfully I have yet to see).

I was running iOS 5 (I thought I typed that earlier). iO6 has had trouble on older devices from what I remember on TWiT networks shows.

I've used Maps (iOS 5 so still Google) and it lasts way longer. Never an issue. I'd say I get about 3 hours of use if nearly constant (like when I'm storm chasing).

I do blame some of the rapid discharge on the cold (I have NOT replicated the above in colder temperatures).

I have just the solution for you:

BioLite-CampStove-and-USB-Charger-1.jpg

It's a wood burning camp stove that converts heat to electricity. When the battery gets low you can start a file then heat up a cup of water for some hot chocolate while your phone recharges.

I've noticed that whenever I use almost any app that uses location services (i.e turns on the GPS) that after a while my phone is noticeably warmer.

Something else to remember - there is a tendency among people using smartphones, like the iPhone, outside in the sunlight, to set the brightness level to "nuclear blast" as well. The brighter the backlight, the faster the battery is going down. Also, nevermind that crap about "better location with WiFi enabled" the WiFi is a radio and it uses power as well.

I do blame some of the rapid discharge on the cold (I have NOT replicated the above in colder temperatures).

It's a wood burning camp stove that converts heat to electricity. When the battery gets low you can start a file then heat up a cup of water for some hot chocolate while your phone recharges.

I've noticed that whenever I use almost any app that uses location services (i.e turns on the GPS) that after a while my phone is noticeably warmer.

I saw this in a few places but didn't have a good look at it... Looks pretty interesting for when you are camping... Pretty cool device anyway

Something else to remember - there is a tendency among people using smartphones, like the iPhone, outside in the sunlight, to set the brightness level to "nuclear blast" as well. The brighter the backlight, the faster the battery is going down. Also, nevermind that crap about "better location with WiFi enabled" the WiFi is a radio and it uses power as well.

Agreed, but my ipad and my parents iphone are on auto brightness i think.. It does go up, but the problem is that the battery loss is much larger when using the geocaching app, inside or out. But a good point...

And my wifi is normally off unless I am at home... Don't see how it could help as there aren't wifi networks every where around here, and isn't the inbuilt GPS good enough? That is a power consumer, definitely

Edited by Condorito

I picked one of these up at REI and put it right back.

The thing weighs 2+ pounds.

It's internal battery has to be charged itself, before it can be used (the battery's only for the fan, not to charge from) and most reviews say they had to keep feeding this thing for 2+ hours to get 20-50% charge.

Fun play toy, but not practical, with all the other charging options available.