Geocaching in 3ft snow drifts

MRW 20

What does RI and snow have in common -- aside from singular storms?

Geocaching in the snow is just as good as without snow. Find stats may suffer a bit, but it can be even more pleasurable to find the cache that you did not think you could. Admittedly though, hard/crusty snow can be a bear, both to walk through and dig into.

Read the logs ahead of time as you can often gleen from them that the cache may/may not be a ground placement.

Drifts are far different than plowed piles of snow. They are two different animals, avoid plowed piles.

Be the tracks in the snow "maker", not the "follower". Just as with being a start-up cacher, you can develop and learn techniques that work well in the snow. Some of those learned techniques will cross over into non-snow seasons.

To me, winter accessible means another way to get to terrain 5 island caches:

2409fd54-7304-409e-83dd-0b20636806b0.jpg

That was during my road trip through northwestern Ontario where I was 6 for 12 in container finds (I was trying for T2 or better caches, with the winter accessible attribute set or at least not un-set).

As mentioned by a previous poster, the DNFs are just as much fun as the finds -- see this bookmark list

This was my only truly winter-accessible find, the way I believe the OP means:

44460fb1-6913-4343-8e1e-6e6e92664192.jpg

However, this one was a very gratifying find because of its challenge (used the poke and listen technique described by a previous poster):

8b9c8341-36f7-4bb6-90c0-3fefb4459392.jpg

Three foot snow drifts? Most years I'd say "Thank goodness for a shallow spot". This year it's not been too snowy yet, and the snow is a bit packed down / settled. However the snowy part of the year is just starting up I fear. Right here there are no new caches anyway, so we have to commute a bit.

Doug 7rxc