Archivied caches.

Bandit77

Hello fellow cachers just a question. Can archived caches be logged and if yes thats not a problem. Does the CO have final say or if the cache is still present at gz then no matter what can and must be claimed as found. My believings are that you can log a archived cache especially if still present at last gz co-ords and it shouldn't be a problem. If anyone can advise especially publisher cachers please. You information will be most helpful. Cheers Bandit77.

Just my opinion: If you found it and signed the log then you're entitled to claim a Find.

The cache owner should have removed the cache when he/she archived it. If you managed to find it before it was removed then that's your good luck.

If it was archived some time back and the cache owner has never removed it then they've left geo-litter. <_<

MrsB

If you found an archived cache, usually you can still log a find. There are occasions that an archived cache is LOCKED by Groundspeak. In those instances, you cannot log it period.

I does sound like you may be having some trouble with a CO -- after carefully reading your post. Final say-so regarding logging is held by Groundspeak, not a CO.

Thank you all. Cache has been accepted by CO now after a re-written log. But sounds like i'm the last that will be finding it. It was logged originally through mobile phone using c.geo so a bit of info there for future refs c.geo is behind geocaching site with info slightly it was archived but as one of you fellow cachers put got lucky. Thank you kindly for coms. Bandit77 Cheers.

Thank you all. Cache has been accepted by CO now after a re-written log. But sounds like i'm the last that will be finding it. It was logged originally through mobile phone using c.geo so a bit of info there for future refs c.geo is behind geocaching site with info slightly it was archived but as one of you fellow cachers put got lucky. Thank you kindly for coms. Bandit77 Cheers.

From the CO's note:

This is an archived cache, therefore I will be deleting any found logs dated after the archival date.

Uhh, if you haven't bothered to go out and retrieve your archived cache, you don't have any right to delete legitimate "Found it" logs.

:rolleyes:

BTW, c:geo is an unapproved app and accesses the site in unauthorized and unsupported ways, so I'm not surprised that things don't work as they should.

I found an archived cache once. Ran a PQ that showed the cache as active. Unbeknownst to me, the CO archived the cache shortly after I ran my PQ, Didn't realize it was archived until I went to log the find. Had no problem logging the container. I made a point of PMing the CO to describe the tainer in case I had mistakenly found an unpublished cache placed by someone else. FYI, archived caches are still availabel on GS if you know the GC number. Try searching the GS site for a previous find that has since been archived. The GC numbers are not recycled.

We once found an archived cache, totally unaware it was archived until we got home and logged it. The cache owner had archived that and all of their other caches with a '.' log, but hadn't removed the cache.

We logged it and never heard anything back, but if the same situation arose we'd check with the CO first. Ultimately, we'd have logged it... We did find the cache and sign the log!

Yeah this is perfectly fine. My first cache of 2013 was active before I left and then a couple of hours later when I went to log my find it had been archived. If the cache container is still there and you are able to sign the log, then it should count as a find. It's up to the CO to grab their container (if the container is still there and muggles haven't stolen it) after an archiving, that way there is no littering. :anitongue:

It was logged originally through mobile phone using c.geo so a bit of info there for future refs c.geo is behind geocaching site with info slightly

c:geo posts the log immediately. If the data you see in the app is "behind" it's only because you're working from a stored/cached copy of the data and haven't updated it. I would expect the same of any app, authorized or not - if you haven't pressed "update" within the last 30 seconds, the information you have may be out of date.