What I am doing wrong?!

higglepiggle

Hi

Yesterday we tried to find 2 caches but couldn't as I didn't understand the compass directions.

Today I went back to the same spot and followed the arrow on the compass. It started by saying I was 386m away....so I followed the arrow, then after a bit it suddenly changed from 386m to 1.3km away. I had only taken a few extra steps when this happened. I turned around and walked back a bit and it went to 890m. I was on the same path that minutes ago said 386m.

The other problem I had was the arrow was really indicating I should go straight through into the bush, yet the cache directions say it was only a short distance off the path. I didn't want to bash my way 890m through the bush to follow the arrow.

What am I doing wrong here!

Thanks

Hi

Yesterday we tried to find 2 caches but couldn't as I didn't understand the compass directions.

Today I went back to the same spot and followed the arrow on the compass. It started by saying I was 386m away....so I followed the arrow, then after a bit it suddenly changed from 386m to 1.3km away. I had only taken a few extra steps when this happened. I turned around and walked back a bit and it went to 890m. I was on the same path that minutes ago said 386m.

The other problem I had was the arrow was really indicating I should go straight through into the bush, yet the cache directions say it was only a short distance off the path. I didn't want to bash my way 890m through the bush to follow the arrow.

What am I doing wrong here!

Thanks

What device are you using? If you're set to "street routing" (like a car GPS), that could explain the distances, since it's re-routing on streets. That's no good for any cache that's not in the street. :anicute:

If you visit the cache page, and look at the satellite view, you'll get a better idea of the cache spot. That might help.

Edited by kunarion

Hard to say......

Tree (canopy) cover?

Were you on the right path?

What type of unit are you using?

Did you hand-load the coordinates?

Lots of things could be wrong... it helps to be a wee more specific on what you did right, first.

If you think you were closer than any of those distances indicate, your datum and format may be set wrong in the unit.

Make sure your unit is set to: WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format

Hi

Yes, there a fair bit of tree cover along the path.

Sorry, I am just using my phone Samsung Galaxy S2 with the app that I apparently can't mention. I haven't manually entered any coordinates, just hit the compass button and go.

Was I on the right path? Well I thought so because there was only a choice of two, and the arrow matched one of the two. So I walked up and down this path. It's in a bushland area.

Thanks

Edited by higglepiggle

Using the satellite picture on Google maps-and those coordinates, showed I was on the wrong path. But following the arrow when I was actually there, indicated I should take the path I did.

Thanks

Can you pull up a map of your current location (Navigation App or something?). Maybe the phone had not gotten a satellite fix yet, which you may notice on a map. I'd suppose it could fluctuate 1km if you're in deepest jungles of Africa :yikes: (you're not, right?). Otherwise, that seems rather inaccurate to me.

You could try an App that you can mention. :ph34r:

Edited by kunarion

When my Samsung Galaxy can't get a fix it can also suddenly claim I'm miles away when I'm not. Just wait until you get a fix again before you continue.

Also, don't trust that compass. If it says something weird, it probably is. Always check on something like Google Maps where the unit thinks you are at the moment to get an idea of the accuracy.

Make sure you have the GPSr turned on and has a lock. If it is off, or there is no lock, the phone will use cell tower triangulation to get your location which can be off 100 meters or worse. There is an app called GPS Status. Run that before your Geocaching app. It seems to get a lock faster as well as give you an indication of the accuracy.

Using the satellite picture on Google maps-and those coordinates, showed I was on the wrong path. But following the arrow when I was actually there, indicated I should take the path I did.

Thanks

The most important navigational device you have is the one between your ears. The arrow doesn't care which path you take, its job is to point straight at the waypoint you are navigating to....point A to point B. If the arrow is pointing you through dense undergrowth and the description says the cache is right near the path, best start looking for another way in.

As far as the distances jumping around like that, sometimes you just have to stop and let the device settle down.

I feel your pain - I wish I could find out what the real name for what I call "Texas trippy weeds" is - they are like those grindylows in Harry Potter - I swear they grab cacher's ankles. I'd like to eradicate them.

I agree with Chief301 - when I started I was obsessed with letting the GPS tell me I was 3, 2, 1 feet away. I find I'm a lot more successful putting it away at 20 feet out and using my eyes and my head.

When my Samsung Galaxy can't get a fix it can also suddenly claim I'm miles away when I'm not. Just wait until you get a fix again before you continue.

I've found the satellite lock for phones is dicey at best. I play SCVNGR on my phone and there are many, many times where I'm trying to bring up a list of nearby places and the phone still thinks I'm on the other side of town or miles from where I actually am. Once it settles and locks onto the satellites again, it'll show where I am correctly.

As Chief301 indicated, the arrow doesn't tell you which way to go. The arrow tells you which way the cache location is, as the crow flies. Since you aren't a crow, you'll need to figure out on your own how to get there as the human walks (or cycles, or drives, or whatever).

I found a cache that was located about 50ft off the trail, with no poison oak along the short path from the trail to the cache. But the trail was winding, following the contour of the hilly terrain. A number of logs mentioned bushwhacking for a quarter mile or more through poison oak. Basically, they came to a sharp bend in the trail and followed the arrow instead of staying on the trail until they were closer to the cache location. If you read the forums, you'll find plenty of variations on this theme.

Rarely do you have to bushwack more than 10-20 or so yards if the cache is listed as 'right off the trail'. Often much less. As other have said, the trick is to find which trail the CO meant. When near GZ, look for the visible geotrail (sometimes a red herring)

My rule of thumb with my jrcachers (older one loves to bushwack) is that they should stay on the trail until the arrow points perpendicular to the trail and reads some reasonable number OR the number has started to climb when walking in both directions. Also make sure a nearby 180 degree bend in the trail won't get you closer on the other side.

Finally, when bushwacking beware of the creepy crawlies and poison ivy.

Have fun,

We should come up with some sort of award for the hardest, stupidest, thorniest, pokiest, least logical route into a cache. I'm pretty sure I could dominate that :)

No.... you would have STRONG competition. You must bleed from bushwhacking before you claim to be a geocacher, although a broken leg may suffice.

Call this Texan some of her stongest competition for that award. Can't remember how many times I took the difficult route to a cache that was found to be just a few feet off a nice trail.

Hi

Yes, there a fair bit of tree cover along the path.

Sorry, I am just using my phone Samsung Galaxy S2 with the app that I apparently can't mention. I haven't manually entered any coordinates, just hit the compass button and go.

Was I on the right path? Well I thought so because there was only a choice of two, and the arrow matched one of the two. So I walked up and down this path. It's in a bushland area.

Thanks

I use an iphone app as well. My experience is that the iphone is great in the city. In trees, canyons, mountains, it isn't enough, and a handheld gps is far superior. I suggest you get handheld GPS for those situations

I have both a smartphone and a Garmin. Before I got my Garmin, I went for a find in the woods. I could not get close to the indicated GZ on the phone. I would take 2 steps towards it and all of a sudden, I'd be over 100 ft away. I'd back up the 2 steps, and I'd be 40 to 50 ft away in another direction. I'll try again, next time I'm in that area.

I got my Garmin, went for another find in the woods. The phone had me about 20 ft away, the Garmin had me right on top of it. Looking in a hole in the tree I was next to, the Garmin was right. I still use the phone (satellite map view) to get me in the general area, but I rely on the actual GPSr to lead me to it. So far, I've never had to go more than 5 ft from where the GPSr tells me it is.

I have found satellite view to be invaluable, even in urban environments. Many caches are more about finding the right approach rather than the last few feet where you look for the cache. We all fall victim to "follow the arrow" to one extent or another and have taken a much harder path because of it. Copy/paste the coords into Google Earth to get a feel for the actual terrain. Where is the best place to park? Where are the paths? Whups, there's a creek there - I can't go that way. When you're on paths in the woods, be prepared that a straight arrow distance of 0.2 miles might actually take you1+ miles to walk there, due to the trail winding back and forth or switchbacks to gain altitude if it's hilly.

As for your inacurracies, I would say that the GPS was not active or receiving a good signal and your phone was using cell tower triangulation instead. This can result in inacurracies of several kilometers in suburban or rural environments. Study your phone's menu settings to be sure you are using the GPS receiver only for coordinates and not cellular triangulation. Depending on your model of phone, you might be able to (and should) turn off the A-GPS function when geocaching.

As for your inacurracies, I would say that the GPS was not active or receiving a good signal and your phone was using cell tower triangulation instead. This can result in inacurracies of several kilometers in suburban or rural environments. Study your phone's menu settings to be sure you are using the GPS receiver only for coordinates and not cellular triangulation. Depending on your model of phone, you might be able to (and should) turn off the A-GPS function when geocaching.

That's the first time I've seen that advice. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 that has GPS and GLONASS, but I also have A-GPS turned on, and use wireless/mobile networks, and all that jazz....are you saying I would be better to turn all of that off and just have GPS/GLONASS being used?

I've not had any major problems with caching (finding or hiding) and have generally been happy with my phone, but the best accuracy reading I can get out of it is 6m.....my old LG used to go down to 4m accuracy, could those 'assistant' options be causing it to be higher?

Cheers, Russ

That's the first time I've seen that advice. I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 that has GPS and GLONASS, but I also have A-GPS turned on, and use wireless/mobile networks, and all that jazz....are you saying I would be better to turn all of that off and just have GPS/GLONASS being used?

I've not had any major problems with caching (finding or hiding) and have generally been happy with my phone, but the best accuracy reading I can get out of it is 6m.....my old LG used to go down to 4m accuracy, could those 'assistant' options be causing it to be higher?

Cheers, Russ

The phone network is OK to locate you on a map. (It may be locking you to a map, much like a sat-nav locks you to the roads...)

Turn off the phone network locating part of things, and accuracy may improve, but could well take a little longer to 'settle down' to your location.