How do I help 'Animal' Proof a Cache

talvinlee

Hello all!

After placing a cache I was to find out that it had been messed at with some animals :( (possums most likely; as I am from Australia). The cache (which was just a small Tupperware container) had its lid ripped of and all the contents missing. It was identified as an animal incident by the teeth marks. I will give you more information once i receive all the details.

I was wondering if you had any encounters with this before or if you know how to help me.

I am going to replace the cache with a stronger tougher clip style container. But what as can I do???

Please help!

Thanks,

Talvinlee

Note: the cache is located next to a stream so animals encounters are inevitable.

I'll bet that tupperware once held food didn't it? ANYTHING scented-food, air fresheners, bubble, scratch and sniff stickers etc WILL attract animals. It usually isn't a good idea to use tupperware anyway. It will get brittle exposed to the elements, and while it may keep food good it does not have a good seal and will leak. About the only "tupperware" containers that will work are Lock and Locks. Easy to use, just snap the 4 flaps to the container. They have a rubber seal, to keep out moisture and thicker higher quality plastic. It's always a good idea to paint or somehow cover up any clear plastic container as UV rays and such will wear it down.

I've had luck with using coyote urine (or a local predator's urine) which you can get at most hunting supply store or tractor supply stores. It only lasts a couple of weeks, but usually it's long enough to get the curious animals to leave the area alone.

I doubt that 'roos or koalas know what coyote urine smells like.

You need to use dingo urine!

Just get an ammo can. Problem solved.

Hmmm... buy ammo can and stop by once a year to clean out trash and refresh the swag or buy coyote pee (really?) and reapply every 2 weeks... forever and ever. Which way to go? How could someone ever choose?

It's more like two techniques you combine rather than choosing between them. The urine is a deterrent and the ammo can resists damage if the urine is ineffective.

Since the cache is not located right near a city, then you may do as I do and use a 4 inch PVC pipe 16 inches long with end caps. You can spray the pipe camo colors.... flat black with an spotting of gray works good. Nearly invisible in foliage. Holds lots of swag. I put tape over a spot on the pipe with I spray and then I write GEO in big letters so people know what is inside. Put the GEO part down so not visible until the cache is picked up. Works great for the more remote areas of Colorado.

The ones I have had, that were ruined my animals, had a smell they were interested in. Someone put seeds in the cache. Great trade item but it smells food to animals. If you can't find a strong container like Ammo boxes - try using Moth Flakes in or around the cache and mention that in your cache page. The Flakes will not last forever so refresh every 6 months and see how that goes. Not the best ECHO friendly solution but it works. Lots of folks use them to keep cats out of the flower beds. Good luck!

Quite often the animal is the same one each time coming back for another look. They learn to lose interest.

Edited by GPS-Hermit