Good geocaching stores for gear?

gggreen

Ironically, I find Wal Mart to have a lot of good supplies, but of course they aren't labelled Geocaching Supplies. I can always find a variety of magnets and containers and arts/crafts supplies there, a variety of spray paints, a variety of duct tape, including camouflage duct tape. They have lots of different tweezers and little mirrors in the cosmetics area, and magnets on telescoping poles in the automotive section.

REI sells geocaching supplies for a premium price that I'm not willing to pay.

However, their gear like GPS and hiking boots have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. That's well worth it. They replaced my 60csx when it had a problem.

I visited REI for the first time the other day and was really impressed that they actually have a geocaching section! Since I'm still brand new to all this, I snagged a great deal on the 'Guide to Geocaching' starter kit. Granted, they wanted $40 originally (it's $35 here on geocaching.com) but it was marked down to $23! :)

I also picked up some GPS screen protectors at half price (like 4 bucks)...I haven't been able to find those in any local stores.

But yeah...they can be pricey!

For a bag, I suggest the UTG messenger bag. From what I've read it's comparable to the more expensive Maxpedition line that's featured in the Groundspeak shop. I picked up mine for $33 on Amazon.

I've had it for a couple weeks and so far I'm very pleased. It has plenty of space for day hikes and geocaching related items, and on top of that there are multiple MOLLE straps for additional storage. I've already added an additional pouch and still have room for a couple more.

As for other supplies, I've purchased a few items from Groundspeak but mostly I buy supplies from Amazon or Wal-Mart.

I like to hit army surplus stores. A lot of times you can find used military backpacks for cheap which are built to last and are often weatherproof. Of course they also carry selections of useful general gear that you may or may not really need, but it's usually cheap and still has years of use left in it. Just make sure it's a store that actually sells stuff cheap, some of them take the surplus and jack up the prices because people don't know better. A lot of them also sell brand new gear, if used isn't your thing, and it's usually from legit companies that make solid products.

Edited by TeamZorsicorne