Event Prizes

This is a bit of a continuation of one of my earlier threads, but now I am looking for suggestions. I also do not want the events of the other thread overshadowing this thread.

What I am looking for are suggestions or solutions as to how to manage event prizes in a manner that will eliminate or minimize the backlash from some adult cachers.

Unfortunately ,excluding those cachers isn’t much of an option.

Not having prizes is not a solution, and here is why;

My wife and I are active cachers (been a slow year this year), host a number of events (meet and greets as well as full day game events), are heavily involved in our local geocaching community (Northern Ontario Geocachers) and are geocaching vendors.

Prizes at game events has become kind of a standard. I'm not sure if this is a localized thing, or just the direction geocaching has taken.

As geocachers (simple event participants), I very much enjoy the bragging rights among my peers (we keep the competitiveness within a small group, and not pick on the new cachers).

As a host, seeing the kids pick their prizes makes the couple dollars I spent worth it (especially when a child gets closest to the pin with a budget gps, while dad gets furthest on his high end unit).

As a vendor, it's giving back to the geocaching community. In some cases, our store provided donations are paid for out of our own personal pockets (not a high profit industry, don’t quit your day job).

Now, it doesn't happen often, but I have seen the backlash from adults over prize at a couple events (one or two cases being events we hosted, others events we attended as participants or vendors).

Myself personally, I would love for the prizes to be geared towards the kids only. Us adults really don't need anything more than bragging rights. As an event host, this is not an issue, keep all prizes at or below a monetary value, and geared towards kids. As a vendor, this doesn't work out so well as no matter what we offer, it’ll be non-age specific.

My biggest thorn (and the reason for this thread) is as a result of a GPS unit we gave out as a prize last year. The Manufacture donated the GeoMate jr. (starter kit) and my wife and I personally covered the shipping (duty, etc).

We decided to give it out as a door prize instead of being the main prize for the event games. From my perspective, luck of the draw was the fairest option considering some attendees had not participated in the lead up challenges that would have made them eligible for the prize. I will leave out any further details as I don’t want to start anything and this thread isn’t about this specific event.

Unless I can come up with a bullet proof way of giving out a large prize like that (and another manufacture), I won't do it again.

Anyway, any suggestions on ways to do prizes (as they won't go away), and reduce the potential for backlash?

I know you can’t please everyone, anything that can reduce the problem would be great.

I have seen many options, here a few:

#1: Have a numbered log book for each cacher name that signs, then find someone with a smart phone and they can run an app called a random number generator, that picks the number for you. Whoever signed the log book on that line, wins.

#2: Buy a roll of tickets, where one is says "ticket" and one says "keep this coupon". About $8 bucks for a roll of 2000 at office supply stores. 2000 should last quite a while. And have the kids draw the numbers. Even if the kids don't win, they still like drawing tickets.

#3: Something I did for an event last Christmas, was to post on our community forum that there would be a geocache coming out on the morning of my event, with a FTF prize that might be very helpful for the event later in the day. The people that got the FTF coupon and brought it to the event later in the day, win the prize.

It sounds like you guys are excellent promoters and benefactors of the game!

You certainly put more into it than most. The difficulties you have run into sound very strange to me...

I've been to maybe a dozen events in a few different states over the years, and I have NEVER seen any squabbling or complaining over prizes. If the problems are for events you attend but are not hosting, there is nothing you can do but back away quietly. DON'T TRY TO FIX AN EVENT THAT IS NOT YOURS!

If it is your own event, I suggest printing a disclaimer that says something to the effect of:

"THE DECISION ON PRIZE DISTRIBUTION IS AT THE SOLE DISCRETION OF THE EVENT ORGANIZER"

"THAT WOULD BE ME"

"IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM, DON'T ATTEND MY EVENTS"

"THE WHOLE IDEA OF PRIZES IS FOR THE KIDS, FOR CRISSAKES"

Well, maybe you don't want to print the last few statements, but that's certainly how I would feel about it. I guess I'm lucky. Around here people go out of their way to share stuff. (Win more than one door prize? Give it to a kid. Won first in a contest and a newbie won second? Trade prizes!)

I just hope this nonsense doesn't spoil your enthusiasm and dedication.

I have held dozens of events, and some have had no prizes - just meet & greets. When I do give out prizes, they are usually raffled off. No complaints (that I am aware of) at any of the events on how things were done.

If you want to focus on the kids, just let the kids play the games. Or have "Below 15" and "15+" age groups, with cool kid friendly prizes for the kids, and maybe one prize for the adults (if they are only coming for the prizes, they need to re-think things). And make sure there are enough prizes to cover all of the kids. They don't all have to be top shelf, but kids love getting something. Or, have prizes for #1-5, 10, 15, 20, etc. That way just not the best win something, it's sorta random after the top prizes.

And if people can't handle it, tough. Let them spend the time, energy and money to host an event.

I have held dozens of events, and some have had no prizes - just meet & greets. When I do give out prizes, they are usually raffled off. No complaints (that I am aware of) at any of the events on how things were done.

If you want to focus on the kids, just let the kids play the games. Or have "Below 15" and "15+" age groups, with cool kid friendly prizes for the kids, and maybe one prize for the adults (if they are only coming for the prizes, they need to re-think things). And make sure there are enough prizes to cover all of the kids. They don't all have to be top shelf, but kids love getting something. Or, have prizes for #1-5, 10, 15, 20, etc. That way just not the best win something, it's sorta random after the top prizes.

And if people can't handle it, tough. Let them spend the time, energy and money to host an event.

Very well said. I think if I ever give prizes away again it will kid-centric.

There is a regular local event that I refuse to host because of the expectation for prizes. I don't get it. Sure it's a nice gesture on the host's part, but totally not necessary. BTW I almost always win a prize and I swear it's using up my luck for winning the lotto. :anibad:

If you come to an event I host and you're the first one there, you'll get one of my FTF coins to keep or put in your next cache. I give anyone I meet for the first time my sig coin as well, but that's it for prizes at my events anymore.

From experience, giving away more than half a dozen or so prizes is pushing geocacher attention spans to the limit at an event. :laughing:

I've seen a nasty argument break out over prizes in a GPS accuracy game (Ground Zero) where you put a flag in the ground at the coords provided. That's one fun game I'll never have at an event I host. :blink:

Edited by Snoogans

Like I said in the other topic, we don't worry about prizes. We are just happy to have the chance. The ONLY complaint I heard was that at 2 events in a row one person who donated a coin was the winner of it, said that's the only time he wins.

Of course he wasn't serious. Just do the ticket idea. Or foe one event the host hid a bison tube. Whoever found got to keep it.

I was at an event where the same family kept winning prize after prize. The dad was a bit embarrassed after about the 5th one and refused it. Their tickets were pulled a few more times and they refused each prize and told them to draw a gain. Either they bought a lot of tickets, or they had incredible luck.

Personally I don't like the prizes. The whole thing takes too long. You're having a fun day, then everything stops for a hour while people sit around listening to numbers being called out.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if there were 3 or 4 prizes but it seems that many event organizers are hell bent on having a huge assortment of prizes.

Edited by briansnat

Just be clear with whaich prizes correspond to each event on the cache page. For example: Everyone who attends will be entered in to win a Geomate Jr! We'll also be having a poker run. Top prize is 2 geocoins, 2nd will be one geocoin, 3rd will be a travel bug. That way people know what to expect. I really don't care about prizes unless it's a good container I can use or a geocoin/trackable.

I was at an event where the same family kept winning prize after prize. The dad was a bit embarrassed after about the 5th one and refused it. Their tickets were pulled a few more times and they refused each prize and told them to draw a gain. Either they bought a lot of tickets, or they had incredible luck.

When I pass out raffle tickets, I give one per username.

Maybe it wouldn't be so bad if there were 3 or 4 prizes but it seems that many event organizers are hell bent on having a huge assortment of prizes.

I agree. At my last event I gave out 4 prizes. Took less than 5 minutes using raffle tickets. And then back to having fun.

Its unfortunate but the cacher involved with the two incidents (mentioned in both threads) as continued going on. I'm starting to wonder if there is more to their issues then the prizes. Originally I thought it was simply the prizes.

I don't think I'll host another game type event with prizes.

I've hosted a number of events, offered game with prizes twice, won't do it again, most likely.

People like to meet and greet, and eat. Prizes and raffle drawings aren't required at all.

I recently attended an event with raffle, and drawing, and they did a nice job with it. Had one big prize, and modest handful of other prizes - this kept the time spent on it down.

I believe they need the raffle ticket money to help with costs. Seems a reasonable way to handle this, where pavilion rental fees are several hundred dollars.

Its unfortunate but the cacher involved with the two incidents (mentioned in both threads) as continued going on. I'm starting to wonder if there is more to their issues then the prizes. Originally I thought it was simply the prizes.

Did you ever just try ignoring said cacher? He/they can only be a problem if you let them. Don't even discuss it with them. The rest of the cachers at the event will surely see them for what they are.

If they continue to harass you forward the email to contact and let them deal with the nastiness.

I don't recall ever attending an event with game prizes as such. There have been door prizes that were given to everyone who attended. There have been smaller numbers of door prizes that were raffled off. There have been gift exchanges. But no game prizes.

My favorite door prize was at an event where everyone received a lanyard with 10 identical pins on it. The pins were inexpensive, but in an assortment of styles. The "ice breaker" was to trade 9 of your pins with others, so everyone could end up with 10 different pins.

Like others, I don't like the interminable raffles. Either give one to everyone as they arrive, or raffle off a small number of items. It's better to raffle off a couple bags, each containing a dozen Bison tubes, than to raffle off two dozen Bison tubes one at a time.

Was it just one or two cachers complainining? The thing with events that are open to just about anybody. Some people are impossible to please, they find something to complain about no matter what you do. If there are only 1 or 2 people complaining, I would just continue doing what feels right for you and tell them in the nicest way possible if they think they can do better, they are most welcome to go ahead. Personally, I think you did the right thing making it a door prize. :)

Other than that, I agree with a previous poster, spell everything out clearly on the cache page so people know what to expect.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

:laughing: Reminds me of our first event. I drew many of my friends names it was kind of embarassing.