Screen protectors?

4x4van

quote:
Originally posted by Northern Trekker:

I use wide, clear packing tape. I use the same thing on my PDA, my cell phone screen and my kids' gameboy screen. When it starts to show some wear, I just pull it off and start again. I could probably do 100 GPS units for about $4.

my $0.02

Northern Trekker

That is a great idea, Northern Trecker. Does it leave any stikiness on the screen? If so how do you clean it.

I have been using the Fellows kits for my handspring but tooooo pricy!!

Geocachers do it with coordinates!

I have not had any problems with the "stickum" on the screen, but here is a tip: Do not try to remove the tape if the GPS screen is cold. Let the screen warm up to room temp or better is the way to go.

I just went to look. The specific stuff that I use is "Scotch Packaging Super Strength" I think you can get it at any mailboxes etc. type store - and I have no connection to this product or it's manufacturer icon_razz.gif.

Let me know if you like it!

Cheers!

Northern Trekker

tongue.gif We tried packing tape and it worked fine till you wanted to replace it. Oh what fun to try and get the sticky glue off. We have paid the extra for the PDA protectors.

quote:
Originally posted by Northern Trekker:

I use wide, clear packing tape. I use the same thing on my PDA, my cell phone screen and my kids' gameboy screen. When it starts to show some wear, I just pull it off and start again. I could probably do 100 GPS units for about $4.

my $0.02

Northern Trekker

I use wide, clear packing tape. I use the same thing on my PDA, my cell phone screen and my kids' gameboy screen. When it starts to show some wear, I just pull it off and start again. I could probably do 100 GPS units for about .<BR><BR>my <!--QUOTE BOX-->.02<BR><BR>Northern Trekker

That is what I was thinking of using.

Just wanted to add my two cents worth about ordering screen protectors from that web site. They stiffed me. I ordered and after 4 weeks I sent an email. Of course I was at another address then and they claimed they shipped them to the new address. The mail carrier never saw the package...It is a court with 7 mailboxes on it. They were very good in their email promises but not the shipping of their product! Oh well. ;)

Just wanted to add my two cents worth about ordering screen protectors from that web site. They stiffed me. I ordered and after 4 weeks I sent an email. Of course I was at another address then and they claimed they shipped them to the new address. The mail carrier never saw the package...It is a court with 7 mailboxes on it. They were very good in their email promises but not the shipping of their product! Oh well. ;)

if your cheap like me, here's a good solution:

go to your local dollar store and find some sort of vinyl kids beach toy (like a beach ball or mattress) with clear parts. should be no more than a buck or two CDN. cut out a patch the size of your gps screen. it'll stick just like those window decals. plus, you can get a few protectors worth out of one beach ball.

Things I have found recently for .99 at "99Only" stores (in CA, AZ, TX):

Belkin 12 pack, PDA Screen overlay protectors

Leather Cell phone case that fits eTrex's

Nylon case that fits Meridian's

4-pack of AA alkalines (fresh)

10-pack of BIC pens

Serial cables for Palm III, VII, V, Handsprings, etc

Cell phone car chargers that can be used to power a GPSr.

Scientific Calculator

Carabiner pack with choice of whistle, bottle opener or small carabiner.

Packs of small spiral note pads.

Pad locks, combo and key, Master brand.

LED blinking lights for bike riding, FM radios, first aid kits, and other swag.

<A HREF="http://strongengineering.com/miva?/Merchant2/merchant.mv+Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BA&Category_Code=SPGPS" TARGET=_blank>www.strongengineering.com</A><BR><BR>Greg<BR>N 39 54.705'<BR>W 77 33.137'

I use these for my V and they work great. I'm still using the first one I put on there and I think they sent me 12-16 of them. I've had good success with dealing with them too. As a matter of fact they had the wrong measurement on the set that they sent out. So they shipped me the right ones for free along with extras to leave in caches. On that note you may want to let them know you are a cacher to get the same deal.

I'm a satisfied customer and would recommend them. The screen protectors are cheap and you get a bunch of them and they do the trick.

A good way to get the "sticky" stuff off is to roll up a new peice of the tape backwards & keep dabbing it to the screen. Works pretty good plus you don't have to worry about the WD-40 eating up some plastic components like it can do. Also no chance of scratching your screen while cleaning.

Edited by Ltljon

I haven't tried this yet myself, but I was intrigued by the suggestion (would love to hear other's take on it): someone on a PDA discussion group suggested using one of those hi tech polymer car pollishes. Two coats were claimed to provide lifetime protection, and as a bonus it supposedly took out any small scratches and irregularities.

I've been using the Strong Engineering protectors and have quite a few left, so I'll probably stick with those for the time being.

Edited by embra