Special Tool Required attribute

Without getting into specifics, I had an idea for a field puzzle cache that would require bringing something not that commonplace with you to figure out the coordinates of the final.

I am wondering if anyone has seen anything like this and can post some GC codes but no spoilers?

Without getting into specifics, I had an idea for a field puzzle cache that would require bringing something not that commonplace with you to figure out the coordinates of the final.

I am wondering if anyone has seen anything like this and can post some GC codes but no spoilers?

How about printing some extra co-ords in funny colours, and having the cacher lay a sheet of red or yellow plastic over the top to reveal the details?

Ive seen caches in tubes that require a bottle of water to float the cache up. (And frustrated cachers rip the tube up and turn it upside down)

Battery contacts exposed outside of a sealed box with a panel full of holes. Some holes blocked up inside, some not.

Attach a battery, a lamp inside lights up and shows numbers through the holes..?

If the idea is for them to guess what to bring, at least make it fair and give them a fighting chance to recognize something's required and provide clues as to what. Very annoying to walk a mile to the start of a multi only to discover that, for no good reason, a UV light is required.

On the other hand, if the idea is just to have them do something unusual, you could provide the tool yourself. I've see a few caches do that.

some of the special tools I recall we used to find or open a cache

scuba equipment

rock-tree climbing equipment

ladder

robe ladder

robes

long thick metal sticks

magnets

small sting with magnet

key mounted on TB

allen key to open container

screw drivers to open containers

(UV light to read secret codes, not really a special tool)

some of the special tools I recall we used to find or open a cache

scuba equipment

rock-tree climbing equipment

ladder

robe ladder

robes

long thick metal sticks

magnets

small sting with magnet

key mounted on TB

allen key to open container

screw drivers to open containers

(UV light to read secret codes, not really a special tool)

Are the "robes" for early morning FTF attempts when you don't want to take the time to get dressed? :lol:

Some of the tools I can recall using for field puzzles and similar challenges include:

magnetic compass (to detect the metal container of an otherwise NIAH hide)

UV light

pole with a hook (which CO hid near the cache)

fishing line with magnet (which CO hid near the cache)

something iron or steel (to attract the magnet attached to cache itself)

tape measure

mirror

But my favorite was a cache that required you to bring a tool of your choice to retrieve and replace a cache that was located about 20 feet above ground level. I used a painter's extension pole with a dandelion tool secured to the business end. Others used extension ladders and who knows what else.

Wow, some interesting tools *gets note pad out!

The most interesting ones iv come across in my short careerer of GC are a Hook/line and sinker (also the name of the cache), Climbing gear and an 8meter carbon pole (for fishing) that i mounted a helping hand litter picker to and some string to get a high up cache.

Other than that a good old compass and map when we used to letterbox 25/30 years ago :D

As soon as i reach 1000 caches im going to start laying some interesting and challenging caches - I think for the most part there isnt enough imagination in the uk!

Ill also get a premium membership when i reach 1000, for now im just completing a personal challenge of 1000 with out it.

GC232EV (Out of Sight) requires a number of things (some of which are physical objects):

1. 12 Inch Ruler

2. Video Camera

3. Thermos of hot water

4. Polarized sunglasses

5. Knowledge of Braille

6. Knowledge of Shakespeare sonnets

7. AA and AAA batteries

8. Knowledge of Binary

9. Absorbent dish towel

10. Telephone

I have figured out the starting point for this one, but have not attempted it yet.

Very annoying to walk a mile to the start of a multi only to discover that, for no good reason, a UV light is required.

It wasn't a mile, and if you would have seen the UV Light Required Attribute....

It was a mile from where I parked, and if the UV Light Required Attribute had been set, I wouldn't have complained.

Very annoying to walk a mile to the start of a multi only to discover that, for no good reason, a UV light is required.

It wasn't a mile, and if you would have seen the UV Light Required Attribute....

It was a mile from where I parked, and if the UV Light Required Attribute had been set, I wouldn't have complained.

Hmmm, seems he should have used th <1 mile attribute too. :lol: